Car tyres to fit 17" motorcycle wheels

Discussion in 'Hack Vendors' started by Agent Wayward, Feb 23, 2011.

1. Subrosa

Subrosa Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hello all. I've been stealing all your thoughts for years and just too lazy to sign up. Well I took the big jump last night did it.

I know the above conversation occurred in 2012, but did y'all ever find any resolution. In particular, is there a way to mount a car tire on my stock 2005 R1200 GS 17" spoked wheel? Or will a 17" car tire mounted on an aluminum or steel car wheel be made to fit?

I'm tugging a Dnepr sidecar that Bob of Texas Sidecars mounted for me with DMC Jay's mounting gear. And I've got a Heidenau on the bike now...and it only took 3000 miles to bring the steel belts to the surface.

I ain't crazy about the look of a smaller tire/wheel setup.

Also while on the subject, anybody got any suggestions about front fork conversions? It rides pretty well now, but at 70 it wears me out with the pull to the right getting progressively stronger the faster I go. And once I put the windshield on the boat the resistance got even stronger.

Ok, I'm firing off my first post. Hope y'all are out there.
  2. DRONE

DRONE Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer:
    Since you're a member now, you can use the Private Message system to contact other inmates directly about this. I'd start with Boondox--he prolly knows. Also BMWZenRider is an excellent source. Also, try DHoladay.
  3. Csemaj

Csemaj n00b

Oddometer:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/331144798462...84.m1423.l2649

Tire price is $66.51 with free std shipping in the USA. Above is a URL for an eBay seller in the USA has that tire. I was assured by seller that it is, indeed, 17" and NOT 16" as had been mistakenly advertised by another seller. Check for yourself before ordering, however. This works to replace a 180/55/17 motorcycle tire for a 5.0", 5.5", or 6" rim.

Fits the rear of BMW K-bikes running the 180/55/17 and, supposedly, clears the radius curve of their single swingarm, too.

I have a BMW K1200RS w/Hannigan sidecar and it is a breeze for steering at any cruise speed I have done up to to 75MPH because it has electric camber control that raises/lowers the outboard chair wheel by a range of about 4.5 to 5". See if there is a way to adapt such to your sidecar and your constant pull just to go straight will disappear. I'm 65 years old and getting too lazy to work so hard just to cruise straight down the road.
  4. the1mavin

the1mavin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Any chance you have a different URL? This one is showing "This page may have moved or is no longer available".

Thanks

Found it I think -- Tire on eBay
  5. silvergoose

silvergoose Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just found a site: tires-easy.com Phone: 1-877-253-6191. They claim to have this tire in stock, in the US. Tire size is 175/55r17XL 88v BSW, Price:$44.80+ shipping.

I have never heard of the brand: Achilles, but it is DOT certified.

I will do some more research.

Good Luck
  6. Cat0020

Cat0020 El cheapo

Oddometer:
    I've had one of those tires for couple of month, just havn't put it onto my spare K75 rear wheel yet. :lol3
  7. BlackdogADV

BlackdogADV Long timer

Oddometer:
    I just ordered these tires but their 8 weeks back ordered. I just mounted a set of cheap Shinko 705's to get me by.
  8. Lewr

Lewr n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi gents.If possible, can someone post some pictures of the 175/55/r17 that has being said fits strait onto a gsa rim.Would love to see how it looks.Want to fit one to my gsa for the sidecar.Have anybody done one that could fit the standard front rim?
  9. Cat0020

Cat0020 El cheapo

Oddometer:
    AZbiker likes this.
  10. Lewr

Lewr n00b

Oddometer:
    Thx Cat. Yes it is for my 2011 1200 gsa with ural tub.Was this first post on page 1 here for a 1150 or 1200 gs?
  11. Lewr

Lewr n00b

Oddometer:
    1200gsa sidecar.jpg
  12. Lewr

Lewr n00b

Oddometer:
    This is my rigg and I would like to try out a car ture for the rear.
  13. DRONE

DRONE Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer:
    Standard front rim? No. Standard rim is 19". If you remove the lower mudguard, the widest front tire that will fit between the forks is 140mm. If you can find a car tire that's 140x19 it would probably be designed for antique cars and not have the speed, load or traction ratings you'd want. Much better off sticking with a modern motorcycle tire. If you swap out the standard 19" rim for a 17" rim from a RT or similar BMW, it's a wider rim but it doesn't make the forks any wider! You're still limited to 140mm. I run a 17" RT front rim on my1200GSA but I use a 130mm front tire which fits fine even with the lower mudguard in place.

If you REALLY wanted a car tire up front, then you need to start looking at different kinds of forks.

Or buy a Stroker front rim that takes a 135mmx15 front tire I think. There's one for sale in the FM right now for a 1200GS. Here's a Stroker wheel on an 1150GS--

[​IMG]

Here's a Stroker on a 1200GS (this is the one for sale)--

[​IMG]
  14. Lewr

Lewr n00b

Oddometer:
    Thx for the info drone, notes made and noted.I will try gather as much info as possible and work from there.

Regards
  15. DRONE

DRONE Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer:
    Does anybody have a pic for Lewr of a 1200GS with an Achilles on a stock rear GS rim? (I can't help--I run a 15" car wheel on my GS.)
  16. Boondox

Boondox Travels With Barley

Oddometer:
    I'm running one on my stock pusher rim. Will take pix when I get home tonight. I've only put a couple thousand miles on it so far but I like it in everything but heavy rain. Given the wide footprint and the low weight of the rig, it does have a tendency to want to ride on top of the water instead of cutting through like an MC tire. But it wears well and by using the stock rim if it needs replacing on a trip I have the option of reverting back to an MC tire.
  17. JustKip

JustKip Long timer

Oddometer:
    What's the required rim width for a 175 or 195 x 17 tire width?
  18. DRONE

DRONE Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer:
    Well, of course, in sidecaring there are no requirements! If the tire jumps the bead seat then I guess it was too narrow! :lol3

But generally speaking, the stock 4x17 wheel is ok for the 175/55 Achilles. Haven't heard any reports to the contrary. I personally would not put a 195 on anything narrower than a 5" (YMMV), and though a 205 could squeeze onto a 5" I'd be happier with a 5.5". Bear in mind that a tire with a taller sidewall can tolerate a narrower rim than a short sidewall tire because of the angles involved in getting the bead to stay seated.

On my 1100GS, I have a 5.5x17 BMW rear wheel off some other bike (like maybe a R1150R Rockster?) that I mounted a 205 with. Had to use a wheel spacer and longer lug bolts to get it to fit the swingarm, not to mention I had to move the muffler outwards to create clearance on the other side. Haven't actually ridden with it yet. But looks pretty cool.

[​IMG]
    Jim K in PA likes this.
  19. DRONE

DRONE Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer:
    Interestingly, the V-Strom darksiders get away with notoriously wide car tires (205's) on fairly narrow stock rims.

Guess it depends on your level of risk tolerance.
  20. Jim K in PA

Jim K in PA Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    How thick of a spacer did you need, Drone?

And what tire is that? Sorry if this is posted elsewhere already.