For Winnipeg and the surrounding area!

Discussion in 'Canada' started by BOBMUNZ, Jun 6, 2009.

1. skysailor

skysailor Rat Rider

Oddometer:
    I'm with you Jim. I'm worried that my DR has something I must "fix"? Feel kind of left out, not having to do a doo!
    Lyle
  2. PiffleMaster

PiffleMaster Long timer

Oddometer:
    At Neil's tech day it was cool seeing 8 KLRs all bunched together... and mt RT sitting all by itself. :wink:
  3. BackRoader

BackRoader Life Is A Hiway, Ride It.

Oddometer:
    I know the feeling Brian, when I ride the BMW to the Harley's nite at Hooters, none of the Hogs park to close, I guess The bigs jugs on the GS are much closer to the ground and intimidating . :norton
  4. Mark-II

Mark-II Turn The Gas On

Oddometer:
    Looks like the GF is on the mend, so I'm probably going to miss tomorrow. I was looking forward to seeing the garburator exhaust mod too!

I'm pondering ordering some of those handlebar risers from DSP. There's an Eagle Mike set in .75" and 1.5". Not too sure which one to get. My main concern would be not having to futz with the cables or have them be too tight. Any advice? I'm mainly wanting to bring the bars back a bit, so I don't lean so heavily on them in town - I don't ride standing up, not even on our lanes :evil

Also - Anyone have any experience with those suspension raising/lowering links? EM sells the raising ones as a supposedly cheap-n-easy way to set the bike up for a heavier rider. Now, I know there's always a trade-off when you muck with something, so is this a viable solution, or should I just get to the gym more often? I don't think I've ever actually bottomed out the suspension, though it does sag a wee bit.

Think I'll get a Clymer manual for some summer reading, too...
  5. ZZR_Ron

ZZR_Ron Looking up

Oddometer:
    It's ok, you can always replce the base gasket, starter switch, and front fork seals.

Before you get all KLR snobbish, remember I have spent a lot of time with both. The DR is a good bike, but also has its issues.

I have spent as much time on the trails with both, and both can be repaired with a rock, and a tweak as needed.
  6. silencejinn

silencejinn Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just put on Eagle mike 1.5" on my 09 without any needs to remove the tank and pull the cables. Easy installation and I like the results, especially with my lowered seat. Make sure to put some threat lock (blue). I also mark the bolts to keep an eye on them so when they loose, I will tight them again. :clap
  7. chris_689

chris_689 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey man, it is me. I figured you were silencejinn when someone responded to you with "Yep, my KLR nut came off with just a regular breaker bar...perhaps just lucky, but we'll get yours done Jing." I'll see you there tomorrow.
  8. silencejinn

silencejinn Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :rofl See you tomorrow.
  9. skysailor

skysailor Rat Rider

Oddometer:
    If I replace the base gasket (which isn't seeping BTW, although the left side front head bolt is) I might as well get a big bore kit at the same time? Winter project?
  10. Mark-II

Mark-II Turn The Gas On

Oddometer:
    Thanks for that - also for the reminder about the locktite. I know I had to re-torque my stand bolts a few times before the thread locker set up. Don't really need the bars falling off!
  11. rugbyrtcwka

rugbyrtcwka railroader

Oddometer:
    I might just show up and look out of place till I have to go to work again . :wink:
  12. rugbyrtcwka

rugbyrtcwka railroader

Oddometer:
    Greg suggested this and I thought it was a good idea.

I'm renting a U Haul trailer to run out to Sudbury to haul my daughter and grand kids back to Manitoba. I will be heading east empty, so if someone needs something moved east as far as Sudbury I could do it for a bit of gas money.

I'm leaving June 20th. PM me if your interested.
  13. PiffleMaster

PiffleMaster Long timer

Oddometer:
    Excellent! :clap
  14. PiffleMaster

PiffleMaster Long timer

Oddometer:
    As of now, there will be victuals (dogs, kraut, and the fixin's) and light wobbly-pops for the first 16 folks.
    Or one or two heavies... :rofl

If anyone is bringing a car, a stop by BackRoaders place to borrow his lift would be appreciated.
    I have one, but only one. :cry

I picked up a socket set at CanTire on sale for $14.99, so there will be two sets of metric tools on site to ease any toolish congestion. :D

See you tomorrow!
  15. humvee

humvee Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'll bring sockets too, up to 22mm Also have a lift, but I'm taking the bike (but I'm more central than BR) I'm in River Heights if anyone wants to bring it.

Kraut! you know how to dress a dog! :deal

Will try to be there for 1pm.
  16. PiffleMaster

PiffleMaster Long timer

Oddometer:
    Excellent about the sockets!
    Hope someone will jump in about the lift... :wink:
    I have the two sockets needed to remove the original countershaft sprocket nut and install the prevailing torque nut...
    However the extra set with the smaller sizes will be needed for everything else. Thanks!
    And Cheers! :clap

PS. Kraut, but no hot peppers. :waysad

PPS. For those concerned about the garburator exhaust mod acoustic signature, it's nothing like a BobMunz throttle crack. :eek1 That one, you don't wanna be behind for any length of time!
  17. BackRoader

Oddometer:
    Ok, who is bringing a tent and camping over night?
  18. PiffleMaster

PiffleMaster Long timer

Oddometer:
    If there are enough adut beverages, I'm up for that, but free-standing tents only. The pegs play hell with the cement floor. :rofl
  19. speedracer

speedracer The Lucky One

Oddometer:
    Middle of Canada.......no really.........it is
    How far will you take the exwife for $100 bucks?? hahaha
  20. BackRoader

Oddometer:
    Are you going to the tech day, or will it be your ex-wife?