Best adhesive for PU/Rubber shoe sole

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Bounder, Jan 28, 2013.

1. Bounder

Bounder Typing...

Oddometer:
    Need some advice on shoe adhesive.
    I bought a pair of Goretex hush puppies, After 4 days of wear the rubber blocks glued to the PU midsole started to peel off.
    I complained to the store and sent the shoes back for a full refund,
    The guy in the store said that if I wanted the old shoes back I could have them as they were in as new condition and could be fixed with the right adhesive.
    The rubber blocks seem to have been stuck on woth some kind of contact adhesive that has gone brittle from
    Now I have used shoe goo to fix stuff but in this case I am not sure it would work being too thick.
    So learned adhesive guru's which adhesive would you recommend?
  2. GSWayne

GSWayne Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
  3. H96669

H96669 A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer:
    Get some Polyurethane construction adhesive. Lepage PL something for decks and subfloors.

Do you want to know what the cobbler's secret is for them hard to bind soles? Some are hard to bond, if not impossible with regular contact/barge type cements.

My friend the cobbler wouldn't really tell me.....kind of pried it out of him after pointing at his chemicals. Industrial strenght Cyanocrylate aka Krazy Glue. He buys it by the case, never had a return for regluing since.:wink:
  4. Stan_R80/7

Stan_R80/7 Beastly Gnarly

Oddometer:
    Not sure about over the pond, but here in the states there is a product still available called Barge Cement. This product is typically used on leather, but works very well on shoe soles. This is a contact cement, containing neoprene rubber dissolved in toluene.

If you can find a similar rubber contact cement then it should work. A good cement for shoe repair will be contact cement, effectively of the same basic type (i.e. neoprene rubber dissolved in a solvent). Leather work shops and shoe repair places sell this type of adhesive. Barge used to sell an individual bright yellow metal tube ~ 30 grams that was good for such a repair. Now, all I have seen is the larger cans that professionals use. For some reason, Barge changed the formula for retail sales to an inferior product in a blue tube because of toluene (glue sniffers?).

Also, shoe goo - which is a urethane rubber - can be thinned with toluene. However, getting toluene may be difficult. Thinned shoe goo can be used as a contact cement with excellent results. Good luck!
  5. troidus

troidus Long timer

Oddometer:
    Cyanoacrylate isn't flexible, so I don't think it's a good adhesive for shoe parts that bend. Maybe it would work to reattach a heel lift, but I would avoid it.
  6. H96669

Oddometer:
    If you want to argue with the good cobblers I'll dig up their suppliers. It is out there to find and so are the product application sheets/specs. Been there a couple years back, no need to do it again.:wink:

Just a quick googleing: "and a new range of cyanoacrylates that are modified to make them more flexible but with higher curing times (flexible cyanoacrylate)."

How about a consumer available name brand::wink:
    http://misterglue.com/cobblers-glue/

Barge/contact cement will not work long term on some types of soles without a lot of prep. Too bad them boots are under the snow otherwise I'd show.:D

Mind you I'd be tempted to try that "new to me" 3m Adhesive I just bought, but at over $30.00 a can I'll save it for better purposes.:rofl
  7. Lomez

Lomez Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Shoe Goo, Amazing Goop or Automotive Goop (I think...but am not certain, they are the same thing). However, pretty much anything used to "fix" a shoe is going to fail, in my experience. Too many cycles to be anything even close to a permanent fix. That's my experience anyway.
  8. Fuzzy Wrench

Fuzzy Wrench Pick Your Tool

Oddometer:
    perhaps even more important than the bonding agent is applying pressure, either in a vise with your shoes filled with newspaper or with what cobblers call lasts or a sole shaped extension that presses inside the shoe... when I do my boots, they get wrapped with tape and then the vise, overnight..
  9. mjydrafter

mjydrafter evil boy for life

Oddometer:
    Any of you guys ever tried Freesole? It's from Mcnett, I would recommend it.

I have tried some of the other stuff mentioned, not too impressed.

You'll have to find a good camping/hiking store for it or order online.
  10. rodsbrick

rodsbrick Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Another product from McNett is Seam Grip adhesive. It would require clamping but it will secure the lugs and it's flexible,waterproof and super strong. I've used it for shoe soles, pant seams and host of household and garage fixes.
    Great product
  11. P B G

P B G Long timer

Oddometer:
    Here's the industry secret...

Most shoe soles, leather, natural rubber etc. are done with Barge - but Barge and PU are not friendly.

In these instances the best adhesives are:

Renia Ortek

OR

Barge Infinity - With the PU Primer

OR

CA glues... As mentioned these are not flexible glues - so what I usually do is scuff up the rubber, then apply CA and set it aside, once that cures I scuff the CA with sand paper, and then use regular barge to stick it back.

I'm not a shoe repair guru - I just cut people's shoes apart to attach braces to them, and often get bad shoes.
  12. Bounder

Bounder Typing...

Oddometer:
    Some great info here, I'll have to see what is available on this side of the ditch, not all glues are available here.
    Is Barge a kind of contact cement?
    edit: I googled it and saw it on ebay.
    I can buy a quart of the yellow label stuff but the shipping is more than the product!
  13. MotorradMike

MotorradMike MIL-TFD-41

Oddometer:
    Can you get Gorilla glue easily?
    Polyurethane adhesive.
    It works, be careful not to use too much, it expands.
  14. Bounder

Bounder Typing...

Oddometer:
    Yes, I have some gorilla glue here, You think that will work on rubber?
    I usually use it on wood and always thought of it as a rigid type of glue not flexible.
  15. P B G

P B G Long timer

Oddometer:

Yellow isn't the right one either. THat's the basics that is great for leather/crepe.... not so good the PU.
  16. Graniteone

Graniteone 3,2,1...Beer me! Supporter

Oddometer:
    I ve used Amazing Goop on shoe soles with great results. It is good stuff. Need to let it cure for 48 hours for best results.
  17. H96669

Oddometer:
    Any good cobblers left over there?:wink: That trade is still teached in places.:wink:

What do you think? Powers or Jameson for my evening shot today.:1drink
  18. Bounder

Bounder Typing...

Oddometer:
    I see a seller on Ebay selling small squeezy bottles of Barge Infinity, what is the PU primer for it?
  19. Bounder

Bounder Typing...

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I pass one on my way to work every day, but he is strictly old school, leather.
    Dealing with modern materials is a whole other world.
    Jameson for drinking, preferably 1780 or Redbreast:evil But if you are making hot whiskeys (very popular here this time of year) it has to be Powers.
  20. H96669

Oddometer:
    Yeah old school cobblers they should learn the new tricks. Not many left around here, my friend has been picking up so much old equipment you should see his basement. Nothing all that good, mostly worn from many many years of use and no repairs.

Yes took a pair of boots to one of them old timers and no he said, no glueing that. Same answer the guy who gave me them boots got at another old timer. Maybe I should have saved them and taken them to my friend, he is "new style", only been a cobbler for 30 years but he is 3,000 miles from me.

But thanks, I'll do the hot toddy with Powers and.......Maple Syrup I got from my friend the cobbler, had a little taste degustation in his basement stash last time I was there. He was trying to give me lots of that old eguipment at the same time but I sure took the "private reserve" maple syrup.......:rofl

Maybe look up if the trade is still teached in Ireland like it is in Quebec.If there is such a trade school they may be able to hook you up with someone keeping up with the new adhesives technology. New stuff that came out in the last 2-5 years such as flexible CAs. I think I'll get my friend to send me a bottle with that new pair of safety shoes I have to order from him.:1drink