Yamaha WR250R Mega Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Sock Monkey, Apr 7, 2008.

1. Stormy Weather

Stormy Weather skier turned bike nut

Oddometer:

Something like this:http://www.britanniacomposites.com/lynx.html

I know they make one for the wrr and if you search around in here Mr. Fisherman posted up some pics. He also has a build thread on the wrr forum.

edit: 205'd...... not quite fast enough;)
  2. Dastard

Dastard Just another guy

Oddometer:
    Right, but I don't have $500 for one. Would reinforcing the headlight cowling/number plate with fiberglass strengthen it enough to attach a similar windscreen?
  3. skierd

skierd Wannabe Far-Rider

Oddometer:
    If you just want the windscreen, you could always do the harbor freight windscreen many of us are running. Go to Harbor Freight and buy a cheap cutting face shield

http://www.harborfreight.com/face-shield-with-flip-up-visor-96542.html

or the mesh version, as someone on here has used

http://www.harborfreight.com/mesh-face-shield-97010.html

Unscrew the visor, velcro it to the top of the number plate, voila $8 windscreen. Takes a ton of wind pressure off your chest, easily removable, and easily replaced.

the result:
    [​IMG]
  4. Dastard

Dastard Just another guy

Oddometer:
    I was looking for more of a Rally type fairing. Maybe with a crease running up the middle and incorporating a shelf to mount a ram ball or something. This project is as much about learning to make something out of fiberglass/making something as it is about some additional wind protection.
  5. Venkman

Venkman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have to mention that I just installed the Harbor Freight windscreen this weekend and it does what everyone says. Wind on the top of the chest and shoulders. Nice sub $10 farkle.
  6. novaboy

novaboy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey Folks,

I'm looking at picking up a 2010 250X, and converting it over to an R by adding a dirt wheel set. The local dealer has an X on the floor for $3000 less than retail. I want to get an R but this is too good a deal, and except for the gearing, slightly different fork, and larger front rotor, its the same bike. I can get a wheel set for the X for around $1000.00.

Just wondering if any inmates here have done the same thing, and what are your experiences with it.

Thanks
  7. Dastard

Dastard Just another guy

Oddometer:
    I went the other way, found a guy with an X that wanted an R and we swapped wheels, front brake assembly (the whole thing, caliper, brake line, lever) and fork guards. Easy to do. If you have an R set built just use the larger diameter disc and you will be able to swap wheels with 6 bolts.
  8. Dancamp

Dancamp Guest

I've just changed the front wheel and it works pretty well.
  9. jlpred

jlpred Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Full R swap here. Wheels/Rotor/Caliper. Easy.

[​IMG]
  10. leftystrat62

leftystrat62 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Who does he think he is-a Harley dealership:D
  11. Doghouse

Doghouse I'll be in the shop!

Oddometer:
    Like so many reading, asking questions and trying to figure out if the WRR is right for me, I launched myself this weekend into my 2008 WRR purchase eyes wide open. So here is my first impression in a nutshell.

If you find yourself dreaming over lowering your bike weight for doing wheelies and jumping over logs with the idea that tweeking your Yamaha to let it breath will accomplish these things...go buy a KTM. You'll be finacially further ahead in the long run in my opinion and have a better bike for that stuff (I did my research and rode several makes and models).

Cons: Opening up the WRR is to say the least a little flat, even with the little mods already on the bike. The throttle response is well...limited by the fuel injected system and sluggish, but thats why there are mods. Wrong! Mods can only take you so far in my opinion with EFI. One thing you will not see is a sum total on all the mods done to some of these bikes we all have previewed, and some are still searching for more response. Many riders seemed convinced they can achieve the elusive throttle snap. I do not have that much garage knowledge or time to change or swap out on a whim. Your primary question should be, "WHAT KIND OF RIDING DO YOU WANT TO DO?"

Pros: Easy maintenance schedule; 70MPG; good suspension with consideration of steering dampener; tall gears; weight; and used bike price.

Conclusion: Overall I like the bike, even though I was a little hard on it. I do not need to launch myself into the atmosphere and into a large rock, or impale myself on a tree. The bike handled well and I will put my skid plate and radiator guard on tonight after the kids go to bed.

Attached Files:

12. JensEskildsen

JensEskildsen Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the honesty, the bike looks real tight :)
  13. kawagumby

kawagumby Long timer

Oddometer:
    My bike has great throttle response, stock. It is quick revving, no bog, no flat spots anywhere very crisp right off bottom. So what's up with yours?

I was do'n some demanding off-roading today on my 07 WR250F, it's modified (cams and free mods) and fast, and I was just thinking how cool it would be to have fuel injection on it like my WRR so I wouldn't be fighting the "bog" with constant jetting changes..... mebbe all WR250r bikes aren't the same?
  14. Pantah

Pantah Jiggy Dog Fan Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yeah the guy is all baloney. That's the problem with the internet. You get these freaks trolling.
  15. Doghouse

Doghouse I'll be in the shop!

Oddometer:
    I think there are many of us looking for reviews before we venture. I had read many of these posts amoung others. Don't get me wrong I like the bike, it does what I want it to. The snap at the low end just is not there, either on this used bike with mods or the brand new one from the crate with 5 miles. I am just trying to give an honest opinion of my first impression of the WRR. It really is in line with me wanting to downsize in both cc and weight, with low maintenance. WRR was my best choice, and I thank all of you who have contributed an honest opinion.
  16. AKASY

AKASY Noob

Oddometer:
    He may be trolling or not--not a concern. What he says is partially accurate in my opinion--but not for the right reasons (fuel injection). The WRR produces power up top not down low while some would consider this a "bog" it is really just the nature of the beast. There is no replacement for CC's except maybe power every other stroke. I find the WRR to be very comparable to other 250's (4 stroke) down low and better up high. If I want punch I ride my XR650R, if I want range, 350watts and a majic button I ride the WRR--both are street tagged and legal, both come in around 300lbs. But after the XRR the WRR feels weak and unresponsive across the board--no surprise. It is not a magic bullet but it is a well sorted and capable 250cc.
  17. BigFeet

BigFeet Banned

Oddometer:
    I agree. Well said.

-feet
  18. Dewtwo

Dewtwo old trail rider! Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've had a shit load of bikes since my Super Rat 40 yrs ago.
    I can honestly say, I'm having MORE FUN on this WRR than I've had on a bike since I was younger, stronger, wilder on a bike.
    Don't tell the orangees (was one 10 years), but I'm glad I traded off that 690!
  19. RichardU

RichardU Let's Ride

Oddometer:
    I have a stock WRR, and a WRX with a big bore. There is a big difference in the hit at low RPMs. Some mods really change the character of the bike.
  20. tonymorr

tonymorr Malta,NY(Saratoga Spring)

Oddometer:
    +1

I loved my bike so much in stock form last summer that I decided to make it the best it could be. I got my 08 with 2k miles on it for about half what a new one goes for so throwing that much again at it was a little easier to swallow. The low/mid was where I thought it was weak. The big bore kit definitely made a huge difference there and I have no regrets.