Kedgi rides Maritimes to Mexico (a trip to the dentist)

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Kedgi, Oct 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AndytheElder

AndytheElder Adventurer

Oddometer:

[​IMG]
  2. Tsotsie

Tsotsie Semi-reformed Tsotsi Supporter

Oddometer:
    +1
    Sea foam is very expensively re-packaged naptha, alcohol and pale oil (naphthenic mineral oil) - at about $64 a gallon. Nothing exotic about it. Probably did a little cleaning which helped some. Also good for tennis elbo and housemaids knee... !
  3. Kedgi

Kedgi Banned

Oddometer:
    I spoke to the dealership yesterday. They tell me the cleanest engines they see in their shop are they guys burning premium (which I do) but not only premium, brand name premium, Texaco, Sunoco, Shell etc.

My experience here in Eastern Canada is similar. I had a BMW Z4 and it worked better on Shell Gas than anything else. The BMW car dealer here told me the same thing. They said burn Shell in your car whenever possible. They said the cleanest engines they see are the ones burning Shell. (by the way I have no connection to any oil company, I'm just repeating what I have been told by two dealerships that are in no way connected)
  4. Kedgi

Kedgi Banned

Oddometer:
    Bud will take it around the block.
  5. Kedgi

Kedgi Banned

Oddometer:
    All I can say about Seafoam is, it worked absolute wonders on my bike. I went from hardly being able to go 200 feet without stalling to being able to ride 200 miles without a hickup.
  6. Kedgi

Kedgi Banned

Oddometer:
    I took Angele's Sherpa for a ride yesterday from the house down to the wharf in Shediac and back.(5 minutes each way) Mighty chilly! Frozen puddles and ambient air temperature peaked at about 4C in the late afternoon. I should have snapped a photo, that may be my last ride in this year. I plan to winterize the Sherpa today if the weather is decent.

We have some light snow in the forecast for Saturday:puke1, so yesterday I raked and bagged leaves, made sure my Kubota is ready for snow and took the battery out of the lawn tractor. Life in the Great White North.

Kedgi
  7. damurph

damurph Cold Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The far east of the far east of North America
    Welcome back to the reality that is the Alantic provinces. I put the scooter in and started using the KLR last week. Snow yesterday morn and again today.
    Winter sucks for me.
    Thought about you when I was in Trinity last week. Quiet town this time of year.
  8. Kedgi

Kedgi Banned

Oddometer:
  9. Kedgi

Kedgi Banned

Oddometer:
    Winter just sucks!

Kedgi
  10. Lowrider_Bud

Lowrider_Bud I'll ride anything.. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sorry I don't have the capability to add photos - need to subscribe and pay for a Smugmug account so I can be more productive.

But here's some more details about the tank:

The tank is made with two petcock fittings; however, it only has one petcock installed and the other is plugged. The petcock is an Ewart. It is a push/pull type not a handle that turns 90 degrees.

The filler neck is "fine thread". I believe this is the key to determining what the tank was used on. In all my years I have only seen one motorcycle gas tank that had fine threads for the filler cap; it was a Soyer. A French motorcycle built in the 30's. They also built a sports model (not a croch-rocket) that had a tank mounted metal box, (The first tank bags were metal, I guess) and that could explain the recess on the top of the tank for straping on the box.

Now here's another guess. The French built bikes (and probably British and German) used a number of different engine manufactures. Why would they not do the same for items like tanks, seats, forks, etc. Much like the manufacttures do today. If that was the case, this tank could have been on a Dresch, Soyer, JAP, Enfield, Triumph, BSA...
  11. bESS

bESS Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Kedgi:

I remember meeting a great adventurer in the parking lot down by the Giant Lobster. (I think this is where the pier was). And if the pier wasn't there, then my host didn't take us there and it's one more place on the check list, for next time . . .

bob
  12. Kedgi

Kedgi Banned

Oddometer:

I'm surprised but you're right, we never made it down to the wharf while you were in Shediac. Great place to go on Summer days and especially evenings to see lots of nice cars and bikes and boats and have an ice cream and just people watch.

Kedgi
  13. Kedgi

Kedgi Banned

Oddometer:
    Today I got around to downloading the few pictures I took on my return trip, Texas to New Brunswick

Bud dropped me off at the Houston IAH airport and before long I was in Cleveland. It never ceases to amaze me how fast jet aircraft are. Weeks riding down to Texas and in a few hours you are back up north.

[​IMG]

I flew out of Cleveland to Manchester NH on a smaller regional jet, we passed along the southern shore of Lake Ontario

[​IMG]

Over the Finger Lakes region

[​IMG]

Where there was a bit of snow in places

[​IMG]

Most of you know that while I am out travelling I have a cat, Bob, who prefers the lazy boy to motorcycle travel.

[​IMG]

So when in Manchester, I rented this bad boy to drive to my friends place in Alton Bay, NH

[​IMG]

I was surprised to see this symbol from Bob on the car's door?????

[​IMG]

I was accustomed to driving in Texas where everyone drives 80 mph all the time and when I came out of the Manchester airport at 80mph in the Charger I was puzzled at first why everyone else was going so slow. They were, of course, mindful of the 55mph speed limit.

I had to share this photo that my friend Burt took of me in Port Aransas. I was surprised to see that after three weeks on the road i looked as though I had been on the road for months. Yikes!

[​IMG]

Angele came to NH to pick me up in our trusty old Astro Van with it's new repaired door. They did a great job fixing the damage from the wind blown lawn chair.

[​IMG]

I have had this van since new in 2002. It has never been winter driven and has 185000 trouble free kilometers on it.

Friday I took Angele's Sherpa for a ride to the Pleasant Street wharf where you can see the boats have all been hauled out of the marina and likely this week they will haul out the marina's floats.

[​IMG]

This was the last ride of the season. The puddles start getting hard and lumpy around here in November. I winterized the Sherpa that afternoon, she'll be ready to go again in April.

[​IMG]

I'm glad my bike is in Texas waiting for my return in January. In fact Bud was kind enough to go pick it up from Wild West Honda (many thanks to them for all the work they did for me) and the bike is safely in Bud's garage, complete with new chain, sprockets, rear tire etc. Bud says it was raining the day he went to get it but the bike started and ran well. He is going to take it for a run on a warmer dry day and see how it is working.

Thanks Bud for all your help.

[​IMG]

Today is a good day to stay inside and watch football even if the Seahawks have a bye

Windchill this morning is a balmy -13C (8.6F)

More later....

Kedgi
  14. Arte

Arte Pata de Perro

Oddometer:

totally agree!:clap

Kedgi take Flying Tivo's word.

in my riders group of central México are three or four dentists with different specialty, such as orthodontics, and maxillofacial surgeon. These guys are some of the best I know, couple of them are proffessors at the university, for the masters specialty, other is a guy giving lectures all over america for the universities since he has developed a out of the box dental procedure that is knocking down many old standard practices.... you name it.
  15. JDowns

JDowns Sounds good, let's go!

Oddometer:
    Hi Dwight,

Angele's Sherpa is a vision of beauty. What a sweet bike. I think mine looked like that 60,000 kilometres ago. Hard to remember.

Always enjoy reading your ride reports amigo. Spring will be here before you know it.

Kindest regards,
    John Downs
  16. Kedgi

Kedgi Banned

Oddometer:
    Arte

Thanks for bringing Flying Tivo's post to my attention again. I sent him a PM this morning. His offer to hook me up in Monterrey may just work for me. I can spend as much time as I need in Mexico to get work done, once I have my schedule worked out i may very well take Felipe up on his offer.

Thanks Guys

Kedgi...:D
  17. Kedgi

Kedgi Banned

Oddometer:
    Hola mi Amigo, Juan

Angele was beaming this morning at your praise for her bike. She loves it. I gotta tell you, your adventures on your Sherpa convinced her a Sherpa was the bike for her. She found it, used, but barely used, online, from a guy here in Moncton, NB. It is a sweet bike to ride.

Freakin cold here this morning again but by Wednesday it is supposed to be 14C with heavy rain. Life in the Maritimes!

I'm looking forward to resuming my ride south in January. I should be back in Texas, to pick up my bike, around Jan 10th.

Ride Safe!

Thanks for following along.

Kedgi
  18. RhinoVonHawkrider

RhinoVonHawkrider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just caught up to ur new ADV ride.

I read / type this next to my fireplace -2C in Eastern Pa and so much want to head south...

Anyway, some thoughts - while KTMs are nice, they seem to have more nit picky problems, not associated with other brands.

And I don't like any vehicle that needs 92+ octane

My VTwin motors fine on 87:D

Anywoo - Stay warm on the North Coast and Be safe in the South
  19. Eagletalon

Eagletalon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    For a minute I thought you had finished your trip already. I'm sure you rather be in Texas at this point by looking at your pictures.

Later
    John
  20. Sjoerd Bakker

Sjoerd Bakker Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hi Dwight , ,looking forward to your later exploits in Mexico , at a more leisurly pace than last round I hope . Remember slow and easy does it .
    Just dawned on me that your style of writing may have a lot owing to your former career as air traffic controller .There you probably had to give a short reply to every incoming radio call to aknowledge that you were aware of their position. Having been on a plane across the Maritimes a number of times when you were still working there may be a good chance you kept my flight aloft . , so thanks for keeping me out of an aluminum shower :lol3
    It appears that the weather in Texas hills and north end has been no great shakes for riding the last days , so you timed your home visit pretty well.
    Cheers.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.