300 mile run on my A50......need advice

Discussion in 'Old's Cool' started by Bugsy, Aug 14, 2012.

1. Bugsy

Bugsy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So, I've been playing around with this little A50 that I recently picked up. I've been trying to work the little bugs out and have taken it around town but not out much on the road yet. So far....so good. I've got an old, Vietnam Vet, ex-biker pal that lives in eastern Oklahoma. That's about 300 miles from me. He's been on me about making a run down to his place on this BSA or my Triumph and I'm really wanting to take the BSA.

I plan on taking backroads and taking my time. Any advice would be really appreciated as I've never really ridden much further than 200 miles in one shot and that was on a 2004 DR650. I've been riding for over 30 years but mainly local commuting and more off road than anything else. I usually ride old stuff and drive old stuff and I'm pretty, mechanically inclined and have broke down away from home more than once in my life. I'm just looking for any suggestions or advice from folks who have a lot more experience with trips than I do.

Here's the BSA.....
    [​IMG]
  2. MacNoob

MacNoob piney fresh

Oddometer:
    On that seat? Gel pad and a chunk of sheepskin....
  3. Bugsy

Bugsy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've got an original seat that just needs recovered. I'm thinking that I'll probably put it on instead. The solo seat is not super comfortable for any distance at all!!!
  4. bk brkr baker

bk brkr baker Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Your bike is fine.
    Above pic is Katterina Bohmeer's 250J.A.P. that she rode on the first Cannonball Rally. 3000 + miles with some of the days out west being over 300 per day.This bike has no-clutch,trans ,suspension or springs under the seat. Everytime she had to stop it was nessesary to klill the engine. Then to get going again she ran along beside it til it started then jumped back on.

So your trip should be far easier. Just ride til you feel like taking a break then ride some more. Six 50 mile legs = 300 miles. The main thing is to enjoy it . If you're not having fun, you're doing it wrong.
  5. Bugsy

Bugsy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Holy crap!!! OK...that puts it into perspective for sure!!! Also, her seat makes mine look a sofa! I agree too that it needs to be fun. Even though it's a very, short ride as compared to what a lot of folks do, I'm looking forward to planning the route, getting prepared for it and doing it. I do need to figure out what all I should take as far as tools and spare parts. I also need to come up with a way to strap a small amount of baggage to it. I've been doing a lot of searching and reading as I know that there's a zillion topics that cover that kind of thing.
  6. Rathlindri

Rathlindri Guinness fan

Oddometer:
    What could possobly go wrong???:lol3:lol3
  7. Higher Logic

Higher Logic Delightfully Altered

Oddometer:
    Charged up cellphone.

Lotsa cash.

Credit card with big limit.

Bored friend with nice truck, loading ramp and tie downs.

May the gods of Lucas and Amal smile upon your ride ! :huh
  8. WRW9751

WRW9751 7th Day Adventurist

Oddometer:
    If I might make a suggestion, air cleaners. You might also throw in a set of hearing protection and chain lube. Be patrician with it, particularly in the first few miles. Stop and check stuff, oil, chain, lights, ect. Have a buddy with a truck or trailer as a back up plan.
  9. Bugsy

Bugsy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Oh man....maybe I should just put the cash and cell phone in my pocket and the bike in the back of my truck and drive down!!:D

Well, I know that there's a zillion things that could go wrong. I'm also one of those people that if it can go wrong...it will! I guess that it's something that could be a good time or could turn into a nightmare pretty quick. Maybe I need to think about this some more!!
  10. vtwin

vtwin Air cooled runnin' mon Supporter

Oddometer:
    RTW Doug went around the world on an old Indian, 300 miles on a relatively new Beezer should be no problem.:D
  11. lrutt

lrutt SILENCE.....i kill you

Oddometer:
    Prep is everything, and not thrashing the old gal too hard. Check all fasteners. If you've not updated the carby, do so. New proper needle and seat, go with a new hardnened slide, they work wonders. Possibly the new stay up float. Hit every electrical connection and clean and seal with di grease. If you still run the AAU, pull it and lube and check. Then put the points or EI back in and set properly. I've put so many miles on my old triumphs and Norton without a hiccup, but I stripped them when I got them and made sure mechanically they were 100%.

BTW, I also added a Norton oil filter unit on the oil return line for both my Trumpets. I'd suggest that for you as well, on the frame downtube behind the motor. A very worthwhile mod that will greatly extend engine life.
  12. Bugsy

Bugsy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thank you for all of the advise, I really appreciate it. I agree too that the proper prep can be the difference between a good trip and a bad one. I do like the idea of the oil filter and will do that for sure. It's got a new battery, Sparx rectifier/regulator, Boyer Electronic ignition and a Harley, twin plug coil. It's also got all new wiring throughout and is 12 volt now. I do like the idea of going through the carb too, just to be safe.
  13. lrutt

lrutt SILENCE.....i kill you

Oddometer:
    You can get a nice update kit direct from Burlen Fuel Systems for the Amals. They actually make a new repro updated Amal that is very reasonable in price that has all the updates plus a replaceable low speed jet. Something the originals did not have. Well worth it if your's is worn. Better option than sleeving.

As for the oil filter adapter, check oldbrits cycle supply. they offer the full Norton kit or you can just get the oil filter adapter. They have the filters as well.
  14. Bugsy

Bugsy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks again for th advice and the recomendations on parts suppliers. I'm going to do the filter and the carb rebuild for sure. I looked into both a bit further last night and it just makes sense.
  15. Garbln

Garbln Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Almost all those old bikes have what I call the "forever speed". It's the speed the bike feels just right, with the least amount of vibration and not feeling like it's working too much. It might be 45, 50, 55, whatever, once you find the sweet spot they seem to go forever if you stay at that speed. Go faster and they shake themselves to pieces. I followed a friend on a 55 BSA 650 twin for 1200 mi twice. All he ever did was lube the chain and add a little oil, that's it! His sweet spot was 50-55, he could go a lot faster but he kept it in the sweet spot and never had a problem. It can be maddening to cruse that slow but hey your on a old bike, that's part of the fun of it.
  16. Bugsy

Bugsy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I agree totally. It does seem that they all have that sweet spot and if pushed beyond it, feel like it's coming apart. This bike seems to do well at about 55 or so. Like you said, it can be maddening sometimes but it's an old bike and that's half the fun. I appreciate the advice and it's encouraging to hear from folks who've ridden an older one for a long distance and lived to tell about it!!
  17. Rich B

Rich B Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Bugsy sez:

"I appreciate the advice and it's encouraging to hear from folks who've ridden an older one for a long distance and lived to tell about it!! "

Having done my share of 500 mile days on a BSA Lightning, you can do it. The A50's are more relaxed motor than the A65, and like you have been advised, find the sweet spot. Fortunately on both of my Lightnings, it is a bit above 55! :evil The one probably too much above 55...but hey, no points to show for it yet.

With any BSA unit twin, timing accuracy is important if using points. But of even more importance, is engine mounting if you want to dampen vibration.

The head steady must be installed and actually tight. Use modern hardware with self locking nuts. The front and bottom engine mount bolts must have the "packing pieces" installed. Don't look in your parts book, probably not there. "Packing pieces" is BSAspeak for shims. Loosen the front and bottom motor mount bolts to see if the frame springs away from the engine. If it does, go to Lowe's or similar and get some stainless steel flat washers (they are really thin at Lowe's) to fit the bolts (3/8" & 7/16") and shim the engine to fit the frame. If you have a gap too small to get a washer to fit, it it better to lightly pry the frame away to make it fit than to tighten the bolts against the gap. Once the engine is shimmed correctly, tighten the bolts. Does wonders for smoothing a BSA engine down. Most didn't ahve the packing pieces from the factory, no doubt the rest have been lost through time. <!-- / message -->
  18. shearboy2004

shearboy2004 KIWIINUSA Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great advise here for sure , lovely motors if looked after and I did thousands of miles on my A65 way beyond the sweet spot , I did pay for that .:lol3

The Norton oil filter is one of the best additions you could do and a good air filter .

That seat has gotta go ,:lol3

Check the oil constantly until you are familiar with her "burning" habits and then keep checking it .

Do the back roads and putter but don't be afraid to give her a bit of stick occasionally , lovely pulley motor , shame not to feel it work sometimes .

Stick a grin on yer face and go for it Mate .
  19. Bugsy

Bugsy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've never thought of this but will add it to the list. It makes sense to me to have it shimmed properly. Thanks for the advice and the "how-to"! Very much appreciated!!!!!
  20. Bugsy

Bugsy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I think after the oil filter and other upgrades that have been suggested, I'm going to do it. I have a couple of shorter runs that I'm going to do first and like you said, figure out it's habits a bit better first before blasting off!!!