Short Black Forest/Switzerland trip with parasailing

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by Thinc2, Aug 12, 2010.

1. Thinc2

Thinc2 Paciugo

Oddometer:
    I took a short but long awaited trip with my daughter this week. The purpose was to spend some quality time with my 10 year old daughter and to ride Switzerland for the first time.

I bought and modified the Scala Team set intercom for this ride. The modification was to allow us t use in ear buds with the intercom. Aside from some loose connections that I fixed on the side of the road, it worked great. Trip would not have been the same without them - it was during the long rides that i got to have the really great conversations with my daughter - about life, values - all that good stuff.

Here are we are leaving Luxembourg:
    [​IMG]

1st night was spent in the Black Forest visiting the usual Alpine Coaster, looking at Cuckoo Clocks and riding some great roads:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The hotel was like many small mountain bed and breakfast places in Europe - it had the smalled and the hardest towels ever - real sandpaper :D
    [​IMG]

But the purpose of the trip was to make it to Chesieres-Villars in Switzerland. We arrived the next day and stayed at my favorite place - the Alpe Fleuri in the center of town:
    [​IMG]

Why Chesieres-Villars? I went to boarding school here and have only been back once since 1982. Have always wanted to show my daughter this part of my life and to visit here on a bike - it was great to do both :thumb
    [​IMG]

On the way to the top of one of the local passes - Col de la Croix - which leads to the famous town of Les Diablerets - famous because it was nearly entirely obliterated by an avalanche last century some time.
    [​IMG]

That afternoon we did something else I've always wanted to do - parasailing - this is me :D
    [​IMG]

What's cool is that you take off at the top of the mountain in the ski resort, then the thermals take up way up high, so you fly around and you can land back where you took off. That's what he did with my daughter, and then since I was the last flight of the day, we landed in a farmers field down in the village.
    This is serious fun - here's a view of Mont Blanc from the parasail:
    [​IMG]

Finally we made a beeline home a straight run to Basel, briefly into Germany and then into France towards Strasbourg and home to Luxembourg.

At one of the gas stations there was this:
    [​IMG]

The Italian owner was kind enough to open the doors for me so I could snap another pic:
    [​IMG]

That's one hot car.

A good trip. Next time we'll skip the Black Forest and head straight to Switzerland.
  2. Cooltours

Cooltours Do things right, or leave'em to be done by others

Oddometer:
    ...and than you'll not forget to let me know so i can buy you a cup of coffee and the young lady some icecream.
  3. Moraflex

Moraflex Banned

Oddometer:
    Looks like it was a fun trip. Thanks.
  4. Steelybeast

Steelybeast Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Brought back some memories of a great trip we did last year :D

Glad you were able to take you daughter along. Great pictures & memories for her too.

David
  5. Thinc2

Thinc2 Paciugo

Oddometer:
    Will do - I hope we will meet one of these days :thumb
  6. E-man

E-man 4-4-09, 12-6-09, 1-13-10

Oddometer:
    More pics please:clap
  7. motoronin

motoronin notsousual

Oddometer: