XRL owners sign in.

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by onaXR, Jan 18, 2006.

1. stiggs13

stiggs13 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey guys took my carb off to clean out the jets and I have a mystery hose problem. The previous owner changed the needle, did the dave mod, jetted for the pipe removed smog crap etc. So the tube in question joins the vent tube on the left side of the carb and the drain tube. I don't think it was connected to anything, but thought I'd check with you all, is this a left over smog tube?

Thanks!!!
  2. Mossy-Back

Mossy-Back Nookie Monster

Oddometer:
    Okay, I need a reality check from you all...

Give me reasons that I should NOT buy a plated 650R to replace the L? (besides electric start)
  3. XR650L

XR650L Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Nobody to offer any advise here?
  4. mrfixit54016

mrfixit54016 Wisconsin Dual Sporter

Oddometer:
    If you are looking for interesting routes in the US try dualsportmaps.com

It is a great resource to find gps routes already designed for our bikes. Or spend some time on the gps threads here to learn what others are using to design their own routes.
  5. alvincullumyork

alvincullumyork Ol Two Flags Supporter

Oddometer:

He does mostly cafe racer stuff but I think it's pretty cool.

https://m.facebook.com/BarretoStudios

I may ride a little fast and someday it may catch up and bite me in the ass but maybe not if I give it just a little more gas.
  6. ThumpnRed

ThumpnRed Pig Wrangler

Oddometer:
    Have you riden an XR650R off road? They are very different than the XRL... not necesarilly better. I don't like an XR650R as a trail bike... it's a handful. Every bit as heavy as the XRL, but not as manageable in terms of manners. In the desert... different story.
  7. gorilla2891

gorilla2891 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    When installing the smog removal kit, what vac hoses can be removed and capped? I noticed on Dave's mod carb pic one is capped.. Thanks.

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]
  8. katbeanz

katbeanz earthbound misfit, I

Oddometer:
    Familiar with the acronym PBF? My pretentious-ness needs work, but I aced the last part long ago. :D
  9. alvincullumyork

Oddometer:

Have you watched Dust to Glory on netflix? If you have then you should know that there is no reason not to buy a BRP!

I may ride a little fast and someday it may catch up and bite me in the ass but maybe not if I give it just a little more gas.
  10. mcma111

mcma111 Long timer

Oddometer:

The black cap shouldn't be there. There should be a hose from there to a port at the front of the carb at 12' where the carb enters the intake boot. The hose at the botton is a float bowl drain hos. Leave it alone. Your throttle cables are correct.
  11. gorilla2891

gorilla2891 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks again. That photo is from "dave's mod" link/page. I just added green lines next to cap in question. :D The smog kit has 5 vac caps with it and no instructions. 1 cap goes to hose that comes off the pump, but the others? Any Vac lines that can be removed? Or just cap the 1 and leave it alone?
  12. mcma111

mcma111 Long timer

Oddometer:
    You shouldn't have to cap anything on the carb. Just route a hose from the right side to the port at the front of the carb. One of the caps/plugs should go into one of the ports in the air box. That's it. Just because the kit has a bunch of caps and plugs doesn't mean you have to use all of them.
  13. ThumpnRed

ThumpnRed Pig Wrangler

Oddometer:
    I see he's doing a XL600 build. Intersting...
  14. RZRob

RZRob Long timer

Oddometer:
    I had an XR650R to address my local thrashing needs. Starting them is an art and doesn't always go instantly. Not the bike I'd want to do 400 mile days on

[​IMG]

Now I got a CRF450X which serves the same purpose and will smoke a 650R almost anywhere - again, no real freeway use.[​IMG]

RZ Rob
  15. alvincullumyork

Oddometer:

Your carb should look like this.

[​IMG][​IMG]

16. Mister Fixit

Mister Fixit Think less, ride more

Oddometer:
    Visit to the DMV. New Dunlop 606's, new chain. (Damn, I hate mounting tires with tubes) The PO apparently didn't know much about chain maintenance. Wore out the original in less than the 2700 miles it has on it because it has new sprockets and a $2 chain that was covered in rust. I put a RK GB520MXU chain on it because it was priced nicely. RK recommends a different chain for D/S use but I don't know why. This one is rated for up to 500cc off road racing. Seems like a guy on a KTM 500EXC racing across the desert or a supercrosser on KX450F is going to beat on a chain a lot harder than a 56 year old riding down a New England street, dirt road, or trail. I guess time will tell. It also seems like a clip master link on a bike that is going to get filthy when used properly is a good idea. I also put a Renthal Vintage/Desert handlebar on it. Boy did that make a nice difference. With the stock bar you look like a jockey when you try to stand up. This is nice and natural feeling without any riser.

Question. The PO had an FMF pipe and K&N filter put on it. (I ordered a UNI) It was rejetted for this . It runs great. Starts easily, you can ride off almost right away, great throttle response, very punchy. All good. It has the snorkel in the airbox. I have spent a good amount of time over the years wrestling carburetors in and out of motorcycles. It's not my favorite job. It seems to me that if removing the snorkel is really going to do anything, it will require jet changes. If it doesn't, how much more air can it really be flowing? I know the X- community regards this as an almost mandatory mod but I am inclined to let well enough alone right now. Does anyone have dyno data that show pipe and filter with and without snorkel?

BTW, after I got done today, I took it for a 10 mile ride down a poorly maintained dirt road by a river. What a blast.
  17. kenny61

kenny61 old and crippled

Oddometer:
  18. stiggs13

stiggs13 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    what does the tube going across the top do? that is my mystery tube
  19. kenny61

kenny61 old and crippled

Oddometer:
    Its a vent tube ties into the other ones
  20. ThumpnRed