What small 250-400cc Bike to Get?

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by dirtysouthjacket, Dec 22, 2012.

1. Canuman

Canuman Crusty & Unobliging

Oddometer:
    Congratulations! Welcome to the world of low-buck trail riding fun!
  2. Grreatdog

Grreatdog Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I followed a woman on a KDX for several miles on very rocky two track. She was making good enough time that I had trouble making a clean, easy pass on my 640. I don't punt people into the weeds or roost the hell out of them on dual sport rides. So I hung back waiting for a chance to pass without being an ass.

She was holding us up a little but I also don't think she was pushing it much.I was impressed at her pace given how little effort it was taking. So they will cover rough ground at a pretty good clip. I liked the way that bike was working enough that if I had tripped over a titled KDX instead of my MXC I would have bought it instead.
  3. Canuman

Oddometer:
    I've found that the KDX can go about fast enough to be scary in most trail-riding conditions if you lean on it a little. It also is a very forgiving bike in the woods with a lighter touch. If you equip it with the "gnarly woods pipe," it has good low-end, so you don't have to rev the snot out of it.

For very technical stuff, some people speak well of the Steahly off-road flywheel weight. (Others find it completely useless.) This adds another ten ounces to what is already considered to be a massive flywheel, if you like to tractor over things. I'm considering one for technical riding. It's fairly easy to swap on and off.
  4. Grreatdog

Grreatdog Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    The Steahly on my MXC is useless. The bike is still like riding a little Tasmanian Devil. :clap
  5. dirtysouthjacket

dirtysouthjacket Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Picked up a 98 KDX 200 from an inmate in snowy OH. Actually didn't even test ride it. It sounded great though. :rofl

But looks like the PO went through it very thoroughly and I'm excited to get on it. Based on some reading I have done and all the input from ya'll, I've made a good decision. I should be able to learn a lot on the bike, and more than likely I'll never outgrow its abilities. Hope to see some of ya'll on a trail or race someday! Thanks again for all the advice!
  6. Canuman

Oddometer:
    Hey! That's the fastest color! Wait, it was the only color! Just think how fast it will go when it gets ripe!

Congrats!