New Michelin Anakee 3 Tires

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by CompAcc, Dec 19, 2012.

1. SidewinderX

SidewinderX Hey, watch this! Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I just received my set from CompAcc today.

They look very unique. They actually remind me of the Pilot Trail 3 but just more aggressive.

Now I just need to burn off my Anakee II's....
  2. HankMayhem

HankMayhem n00b

Oddometer:
    Greetings. I have about 300 miles on a new set. Replacing a set of Metzler Tourances that never let me down. The Anakees give a smoother and quieter ride on pavement. Not sure of the stickiness on a steep apex, as I don't ride like that anymore. They do feel a little more like a set of sportbike tires. I found them to be comparable to the Tourances on Buzzard's Lagoon; a steep, rutted fire road that I frequent in the Santa Cruz mountains.

More Later...
  3. RFlagg42

RFlagg42 One hoopy frood....

Oddometer:
    For those who are interested, here is a blog entry from an individual who has put over 7,000 miles of mostly highway miles on a set of Anakee 3s, including pictures of the tread (which looks great, but notice he runs his tire pressure pretty high). He rode a GSA in the Iron Butt Rally in 2011 using Anakee 2s.

His comments:
  4. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    well they get great mileage on the pavement for that guy.
    geez i think he went straight down the hiway the whole time.

he should just get a pure street tire next time.
    just use pilot roads or even marathons and stop with the image of riding with ADV tires that looks like you could go off-road.

would love to hear more from those who ride this tire off-road and how these tires corner when pushed in the dirt. :ear

anyone can put on a new tire and say they work great on the pavement.
    seems people see these tires and think wow what a great street tire.
    maybe that was Michelin's plan the whole time.
  5. RED CAT

RED CAT Bumpy Backroader

Oddometer:
    Is best off road, 3s or 2s? Thats what I want to know. Been happy with the 2s for years but about to buy 2 new rears and can't seem to decide.:lurk
  6. RFlagg42

RFlagg42 One hoopy frood....

Oddometer:
    Look, I was just throwing the info out there as a data point that some here may be interested in.

I would argue that a 90/10 tire is a street tire. The fact of the matter is most people who own bikes that this tire is being marketed towards, ride most of their miles on pavement and ARE concerned with how many miles they are going to get before having to get new tires. The reason to get a 90/10 tire is because you would also like the tire to get reasonable traction and have reasonable turning ability when you do go off road. Having said that, I am going to choose the 90/10 tire that gives me the most confidence off road which is why I preferred Anakee 2s over Tourances.

If your primary concern is off road handling, and you don't care how many miles you are going to get out of it, then I suspect there are much better tires out there for you than the Anakee 3.
  7. BordenBmw

BordenBmw TheFrenchRider

Oddometer:
    From what I've been reading over the last few months, they are as good off-road but better and not as noisy on road; Michelin says then are better off road by 10 % and 20% better mileage. I don't think you can go wrong with the Anakee 3 if you are looking for a replacement for the Anakee 2.
  8. tagentry

tagentry Northwest Silverback

Oddometer:
    Mounting a set of these tomorrow. I've chunked both Shinko and Dunlop rears now. Used to race on Michelin Pilots, going to try these to see how I like them. I still plan on a set of Conti TKCs for the Touratech rally in June, but I will try these out on various conditions until then. I'll update in a couple of months.:1drink
  9. StormShearon

StormShearon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I put a set on my Tiger 800 and now have about 300 miles on them. I like them better than the stock Pirellis (which were just fine). They do make a bit of noise on the freeway, but nothing objectionable - at least to me. Grip is good and the bike feels better planted in corners than before. I am hoping they wear better - that is do not flat spot as easily as the Pirellis.
  10. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    you seem to be taking my feedback of that guys review as something personal i've said against you? please do not. i was not meant as such. :D

thanks for the link & yes i'd like to hear more about dirt use of these tires as they are STILL listed as ADV tire not street tires.
  11. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    thanks. many have looking at that tire's design and reading Michelin saying they are better by 10% in the dirt (than the 2) and thinking :scratch
  12. Kenbike

Kenbike Long timer

Oddometer:
    just got a set for the Tenere and they mounted very easy, will put them to the test this Saturday.
  13. pappito

pappito Adventurer

Oddometer:
    just got a set for my XT600e after the factory Trail Wing set which worn out and started to lose the grip. I am commuting, almost never ride on gravel, 99% tarmac so there isn't much selection in my size.

The new Anakees were in the shop, I gave them a chance :) I am happy with them so far (less than 100kms tho) they are giving really good grip and control on tarmac. The braking power ws a surprise but after a worn-out tyre everything new is magic :)

The wet season is in the corner (southern hemisphere) I am curious about the wet performance.
  14. R1200GSA

R1200GSA Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am loving mine thus far. I put them them on before a nearly 2000 mile rider over Easter Weekend.

Very grippy in dry and in wet corners (cloudcroft, nm) and very smooth while rolling. They also are holding up very nice too, as it was a very high speed run for those nearly 2000 miles that Friday & Saturday. There is very little wear visible.

Anakee 3's as delivered.
    [​IMG]

Front compared to a new (old style though) Tourance, and Old Ankee 2 and old Karoo.
    [​IMG]

Front on the bike after installed.
    [​IMG]

Rears compared, Karoo, Tourance & Anakee 3
    [​IMG]

Rear on the bike after installed.
    [​IMG]

I have only 2500 miles on them now in less than a month of use, but so far so good.

EDIT: I just went to the garage and took these pics so you can see what 2,468 miles looks like on them.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  15. BluWolf

BluWolf Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am trying to get a set of these put on my bike for a trip down to the dragon next month. My shop is telling me he can only find these tires with a bias front and a radial rear.

Does anyone know if there is an issue with this config or if there is a way to order matched biad or radial.

(FYI, I am an idiot when it comes to tires so please don't point out that I don't know what I am talking about. I know this already.)
  16. BordenBmw

BordenBmw TheFrenchRider

Oddometer:
    What size to you need? If they are for the r1200gs than the H and V rated are both Radial.

http://www.michelinmotorcycle.com/index.cfm?event=anakee3

<TABLE class=sizes cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=372 border=0><TBODY><TR><TH width=62 scope=col>SIZES</TH><TH width=101 scope=col>
    Front

</TH><TH width=209 scope=col>Rear

</TH></TR><TR><TD></TD><TD>100/90-19 57H</TD><TD>120/90-17 64S</TD></TR><TR><TD></TD><TD>110/80R19 59H</TD><TD>130/80R17 65S</TD></TR><TR><TD></TD><TD>120/70R19 60V</TD><TD>130/80R17 65H</TD></TR><TR><TD></TD><TD>110/80R19 59V</TD><TD>140/80R17 69H</TD></TR><TR><TD></TD><TD>90/90-21 54S</TD><TD>150/70R17 69H</TD></TR><TR><TD></TD><TD>90/90-21 54H</TD><TD>150/70R17 69V</TD></TR><TR><TD></TD><TD>90/90-21 54V</TD><TD>170/60R17 72V</TD></TR><TR><TD></TD><TD></TD><TD></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

17. BluWolf

BluWolf Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    OK I got the answer.

Apparently they don't make 21" tires in radial. I am sure there is some sort of engineering explanation for this.

Michelin says it is fine to mix a bias front with a radial rear. Just not the other way around.

I am on a F800GS so I need 90/90V-21 front and a 150/70V-17 rear.
  18. bross

bross Where we riding to?

Oddometer:
    That was the way the old (single) BMW F650GS came from the factory.
  19. Mobiker

Mobiker Long timer

Oddometer:
    I just put a 130/80-17 on the back of my '88 GS to replace a Scorpion Trail that was wore out. Have a 90/90-21 Pirelli scorpion on the front. I've only ridden about 50 miles so far, but seem to handle fine. Michelin said mixing radial/bias was ok and their 2013 fitment chart recommends this mix for my bike. One dealer I talked to wasn't sure and didn't think it was a good idea. The dealer I bought from rattled off a list of biles that come form the factory this way and said no problem. Go for it.
  20. Stoney911

Stoney911 Moto Nerd

Oddometer:
    Had mine on for a few weeks! Loved the 2's and that's why I got the 3's. Replaced heidneau k76. They rock! Super sticky so far. Good in rain and was hovering around 0c the other day. No issues. Riding down to San Diego in two weeks. That will be the real test. Give you guys a heads up on how they perform. So far so good.