Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-20-2015, 12:28 PM   #1366
Yard Sale
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by elkgrichard View Post
Noticed a Stone the other day left over 2015 or 14 for $7,299.00 plus tax and lic. on that price. That bike was not a Demo it was floor fresh.
We are probably talking about the same bike at the same dealer...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yard Sale View Post
I found a 2014 Stone on CycleTrader at the dealer nearest me for $7299, the cheapest around by far. I called them up and out the door it was something like $8850. For a year-and-half old leftover superseded by the new V7 II.
Yard Sale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 04:18 PM   #1367
pyoungbl
Colonel Blood

Oddometer: 531
Tweaking the front suspension

GerryP69, have you measured the travel on your forks? I put a zip tie on mine and pushed it down to the bottom of the fork tube. After a spirited ride the tie was up about 3.5" out of the available 4.5". I'd appreciate your similar figures. I'm thinking that I might benefit from thinner fork oil, now using 10W.

Peter Y.
Old 05-22-2015, 10:07 PM   #1368
GoonerYoda
Hot Dickens Cider

Oddometer: 818
I'm guessing the one that's for sale in Elk Grove, CA.

Margins are thin on motorcycles. If you can bring the OTD price down to say, $8200-8300, and then buy, some gear where they enjoy much, much higher margins, that might get them to play ball. But that's if you need a new helmet, jacket, gloves, etc. You can get all scum buggery and return most of not all of it (most shops will not let you return a helmet even if you never took out of the box) a few days later. LOL I'm not suggesting you do that, but it's something that can be done. Of course, they may have some type of re-stocking fee.

Heck, see if they can get you a deal on service or an extended warranty on it.
GoonerYoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 09:29 AM   #1369
kraven
Hegelian Scum

Oddometer: 4,920
Yeah, that's how our local MG dealer winked in and out of business in less than a couple of seasons.

Enthusiast brands are also littered with guys who want to shop California overstock against current stock on the east coast. And the only thing they love more than being the first guy with the new hotness is bragging how little they got the bike for otd.

The boutique dealers just don't move the volume to make a lot of stupid deals just to move a unit. Our guys found out the hard way that enthusiasts are all talk til the doors open. Then it's nothing but skinny deals and people using your showroom to try on gear they go and buy on line.

We're a bag of dicks, as a group.

I have a couple of guys trying to talk me into getting in on their attempt at a new boutique shop here, but I might as well just spend a year unemployed and riding the world because I won't make enough money to live on hot dog water and coffee I get at the HD dealer for free.

anyway, I'm gonna have to go 2 hours away to get the wife on a V7. We'll just pay MSRP, like we're putting a deposit on good will and the dealer being there in a year.
Old 05-23-2015, 02:21 PM   #1370
pyoungbl
Colonel Blood

Oddometer: 531
Draven, you are absolutely correct...we are a bunch of dicks (as a general statement) and it's far worse to be a Guzzi dealer. Think about it, after you sell the bike you never see the customer again except for warranty work. Guzzi guys generally do their own tuneup since it's so simple. They don't buy a bunch of Guzzi branded soft goods since there really aren't any. It's not like the Ducati or Triumph dealer who can make a killer deal on the bike because he knows you will slap down for a Ducati/Triumph jacket or helmet and maybe even some bling. Those same buyers take their bike back for service so it's a steady stream of income for the shop. Guzzi, not so much. Oh, and Guzzi folks are notorious for being...frugal. Our local Guzzi dealer sold about 40 units his first year with the brand (he was a Guzzi hero). By year 3 he gave up on Guzzi and now concentrates on Ducati and Triumph. It was purely a business decision. Guzzi did not contribute enough to the bottom line to justify taking up limited shop space. I bought two bikes from them so this was a real let-down for me but business is business. Now the closest Guzzi dealer is 1.5 hours away and I'm lucky to have one so close.

Peter Y.
Old 05-23-2015, 06:16 PM   #1371
kraven
Hegelian Scum

Oddometer: 4,920
Right on, Peter. You get the business model, seems like.

As an aside, we just lost our Ducati/Triumph store this late winter/early spring. Now we have a metric store, HD, and a BMW/KTM shop. But nothing Italian in the form of a dealership.

Same deal. They couldn't make enough to justify the operating cost in an increasingly difficult market and on top of a very tough time since '08.

I think MG might have to go to a dealerless Tesla type system where you buy the bike and have it freighted to your house, or something like that.

The V7 is a great product. Seems like it sells itself, really.
Old 05-23-2015, 06:28 PM   #1372
elkgrichard
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 210
It was in fact Elk Grove Power Sports on that price.

if you shop around their prices are tuff to beat. They also do good deals on Triumph's.

Noticed they have some cut rate prices on the Vespa line.
elkgrichard is offline   Reply With Quote