Ask your WELDING questions here.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by KTM640Dakar, Mar 5, 2007.

1. KTM640Dakar

KTM640Dakar Motorsick

Oddometer:
    Do you have a question about welding? How to weld a material or which welding process to use? MIG, TIG, stick, oxyfuel?

If you read through this thread and can't find an answer to your question then ask it in the last page or PM me.

If you are looking for free "how to" welding information search here:

Welding School:

http://www.lincolnelectric.com/en-us/education-center/welding-school/Pages/welding-school.aspx

Safety:

http://www.lincolnelectric.com/en-us/education-center/welding-safety/Pages/welding-safety.aspx

Do it yourself read and learn:

http://www.lincolnelectric.com/en-u...ining-materials/Pages/training-materials.aspx

There is good information on safety and getting started in welding if you are new at it.

http://www.lincolnelectric.com/en-us/utility/pages/sitemap.aspx

[​IMG]
  2. Poolside

Poolside Syndicated

Oddometer:
    <br>Could I toss in a technical question about plasma cutting or Plasma Arc Welding?

- Jim<BR><BR>
  3. KTM640Dakar

KTM640Dakar Motorsick

Oddometer:
    Sure. Plasma cutting is good too.
  4. Poolside

Poolside Syndicated

Oddometer:
    <BR>Say a drag tipped torch cutting .250 carbon steel sheet, with compressed air. The arc is running and the tip is dragging.

What is the approximate power supply output voltage measured across the leads at the supply side? Or, the arc voltage measured between the electrode and the workpiece.

Either one.

- Jim<BR><BR>
  5. Gordy

Gordy SUPPORTER

Oddometer:
    OK, this should be easy.

I need to weld some aluminum. I have one of the Lincoln 220V wire feed machines. I am using Argon. Can I just buy some aluminum wire and use the Argon? This is not a critical weld on a frame or anything.

I know............I need a TIG.:tb
  6. scooteraug02

scooteraug02 Dog Rancher

Oddometer:
    Where is the best place to learn to weld?

I was watching a show on CMT, they were fixing up a guy's dump truck and used a plasma cutter tool to cut 2" holes for round lights. The tool was fast and worked like a compass. What is that tool and what other cutting tools are available.

You weld something critical and it needs to hold up. How do you know the weld is strong or correct without beating up your project testing the weld?

Is it true a beer can can be welded if the welder is skilled?

Does grinding a weld weaken it?
  7. KTM640Dakar

KTM640Dakar Motorsick

Oddometer:
    To cut 1/4 inch plate you will need about 30 Amps. With plasma cutting the voltage is determined by the distance of the tip to the plate you are cutting. You don't really set the machine voltage on a hand held plasma cutter, you set amperage. The key to getting a good plasma cut is setting the right amperage to thickness and keeping the torch slightly above the surface you are cutting without touching the plate. You also need a steady hand, and don't move too fast. If you go too fast the spatter will shoot back at you. You also need clean dry compressed air with the right pressure setting. Most plasma cutters have recommended flow rates for their machine. Usually 65 psi. for a 50 Amp machine as an example. Also make very sure you have a new electrode and nozzle since these parts wear out and will effect cut quality.

Are you using an automated table plasma cutter or hand held plasma cutter? If you are using an automated plasma cutter then you would set voltage to control torch stickout.
  8. KTM640Dakar

KTM640Dakar Motorsick

Oddometer:
    Yes use argon 100% and get some 3/64 Superglaze 4043 wire. You will also need a teflon liner for your torch and 3/64 or (.047inch) U-grooved drive rolls for your welder. When you get ready to weld set your drive roll pressure in the wire feeder so that it is enough pressure to push the wire but not bird nest the drive rolls if you fuse a tip. Usually you will set the drive roll pressure for aluminum a lot less than for steel wire.

The hardest part about MIG welding aluminum is getting the wire to feed through your welding gun, so keep the welding cable of your gun as straight as possible so the aluminum wire will not have to go through too many curves in the gun cable/liner. That is why you use a Teflon gun liner to reduce friction. There is also a sticker on the inside door of most Lincoln welders that has recommended settings for different thicknesses of metal, as well as different weld wires (like 3/64 dia, Aluminum wire).

If you are using the smaller SP175 220V machine then you might have to use .035 diameter wire.

The best way to MIG weld aluminum is with a spool gun or push/pull gun.
    SmittyBlackstone likes this.
  9. KTM640Dakar

KTM640Dakar Motorsick

Oddometer:
    There are welding classes at most community colleges.

Here is a motorsports training program: http://www.lincolnelectric.com/en-u...Pages/motorsports-basic-materials-course.aspx

http://www.lincolnelectric.com/en-us/education-center/Pages/education-center.aspx
  10. Gordy

Gordy SUPPORTER

Oddometer:
    Thanks man, I'll try it out.:thumb
  11. G-Force Junkie

G-Force Junkie Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes, bottom to bottom, but they have to be empty :1drink I probaly got some around the shop I've done, I'll see if I can find them.

Mike
    Welder/Fabriator
  12. tpunzy

tpunzy liquid cooled

Oddometer:
    I have tried it with no good coming of it :cry

What the heck is the trick to torch welding (oxy/fuel) aluminum?????? I have seen it done with good results(by an oldtimer), but I (for what ever reason) just don't get it????????????
  13. Poolside

Poolside Syndicated

Oddometer:
    <BR>
    That's pretty good. You are the first person, Welding Engineer or otherwise, that went right to arc length.

Yea I get that. That the physics of the plasma in any particular gas, in this case air, set the arc voltage over the arc length.

I was just thinking that you might have played around and measured that voltage with a meter, or looked at it on a scope.

I realize I am asking more of a mechanical question. More like "How far back is the electrode from the face of the 'swirl cup' nozzle?" Or terms to that effect.

So, say select one of your more popular Lincoln hand held plasma torches. What is that dimension?

- Jim<BR><BR>
  14. LoFlow

LoFlow Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    OK, Here is my question.
    On my tig torch I use the old fashioned cups. The brownish red ones. I see on these chopper shows their using clear cups that don't appear to have any neck down to them. I have heard they use less argon for shielding.
    Do you have any info or opinions on those? Thanks
  15. scooteraug02

scooteraug02 Dog Rancher

Oddometer:
    Here's the tool I was talking about

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  16. gsweave

gsweave Yinz, blinkers are on, JACKWAD! Super Supporter

Oddometer:

Glad your here.

Should we retire this old Carbon arc machine? She cuts 2" Niconel like a bitch.

[​IMG]

Hey all kidding around aside:lol3

It may be ugly, but this portable, 480V machine can really burn some nice stainless welds.

One of our lincoln sub-arcs

[​IMG]

Thanks in advance for taking on this task in the "Garage"

I am thankful that it is here......
  17. gsweave

gsweave Yinz, blinkers are on, JACKWAD! Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Here is a question we see alot.

Home shop? Greatest overall versatility. And I have never laid a bead in my life. Mig or Stick? And yes shop is wired for 240.
  18. porterdog

porterdog untitled

Oddometer:
    +1. I know it's possible, but I haven't actually tried it...
  19. 98rxcmi

98rxcmi Chrome+Paint=Garage bike

Oddometer:
    Are you sure that it is a true "weld" not a solder that looks like Aluminum
    SmittyBlackstone likes this.
  20. 98rxcmi

98rxcmi Chrome+Paint=Garage bike

Oddometer:
    I'm not sure but didn't they make a "Kit" that would convert your stick lincon welder to a TIG ??? or was that a factory made combo unit/

If I had to choose MIG vs TIG/Stick unit the TIG/Stick woudld be my choice. MIG is good if you do a lot of welding or tacking but
    for a home shop it would be my second welder not my first.