Honda Helix - Tell me about yours

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by backroads jim, Dec 3, 2008.

1. backroads jim

backroads jim Review of midsize scooters

Oddometer:
    Here it is winter. The snow is blowing in Michigan and ice has covered the driveway.
    No riding today. Now I am thinking about riding in the spring.

I have a Burgman 650 and I like it, but I am considering a lighter scoot. Dry weight on
    the Honda Helix is approx 175lbs lighter than the Burgman.

So I ask the fellow inmates who own a Helix - Are they as much fun as they appear
    to be? Has anyone here done any long distance touring on one?

Should I buy a Helix in the spring (or this winter) and tour with it this coming
    summer? Does a Helix have any inherent problems that I should be aware of before
    acting on this notion?

Lastly, are they comfortable for long distances? What is a reasonable expectation
    for all day "cruising speed" while touring? Is the Helix handling fairly stable
    despite the smaller (than a Burgman or motorcycle) sized wheels?

Is the Helix a high or low maintenance scoot? I am thinking I would like to do most
    of my own maintenance if that is practical. I am not a great mechanic, but I can do
    simple maintenance. Is the Helix a good scoot for me?

As always, I draw upon the wealth of info and experience that my fellow inmates have.

Thanks,

Jim
  2. ScootGuy

ScootGuy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sorry, can't help you with your questions directly about the Honda Helix, but, from everything I have heard they are a solid bike, I am sure you will get some replys from Helix owners on this.

However, I will say, you will have fun on a smaller scooter. I do not know why, but, the smaller the scooter, the more fun they are. My last scooter I bought is a 50cc and it is really fun to ride around town on! :)

Good luck with you search and hope you are pleased with what you get!
  3. tumbleweed40

tumbleweed40 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    i agree the smaller ones are a blast!my freind has a helix and rides it on 250+mile trips,he's a loder fellow and he loves it
  4. windburn

windburn Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have a Honda helix 250 cc and I have a 600 cc Sliverwing also a Honda. I have driven the Helix 8000 miles and the wing 4000. The wing is a road warrior and can cruise for long distance at high speed and the weight is 200 lbs more then the helix. I get less wind buffeting from the wing. The helix however seems to be the scoot of choice for local riding. I have been on 300 mile trips with both machines and in both cases I was suffering from Honda butt and once I stopped and brought a pillow at a garage sale to sooth the pain. My helix reasonably cruises at 60 plus MPH so I had to find a truck going that speed and just follow along for passing him was iffy. On the wing I could easily pass anyone and very quickly. I have seen my odometer on the wing at 97 MPH but shut it down as I had no business going that fast.

The Helix is a ride that will not enhance ones ego ( and who cares) but it is a fine ride and I really like it in my stable
  5. Coopdway

Coopdway Curiouser

Oddometer:
    I bought my used '04 Helix that had less than 4K miles this past summer and absolutely love it. I sold an '07 Genuine Buddy 125 that I thoroughly enjoyed, but the 250 is a lot more practical for the kind of riding I do, especially so in our rural location. I thought the 125 was a blast and it may have taken the 125 first to truly appreciate everything that I'm finding the Helix to be.

The bikes in our stable all saw increased mileage last summer and on a percentage basis, my biggest and most beloved machine saw the least use of any season that it's been here.

The Helix is going to see some REAL use next year, of that I'm sure.

Here's a 300 mile day in October on the Helix -
    http://picasaweb.google.com/coopdway/2008_10_12BuffaloTremp#

Another day, this one much closer to a 500 mile day at the end of October -
    http://picasaweb.google.com/coopdway/2008_10_31Bayfield#

With the kind of time that a proper ride deserves, I've no qualms about taking the Helix anywhere. Good luck!
  6. windburn

windburn Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have been looking at the trans-American trail ride reports and I have been thinking that It could be done with a Helix. An August ride with dry weather it seems that most of the TAT is two track now the difficulty would be the dust or sand pits in Utah and Nevada and the rock climbing of loose rock in the rocky mountain passes. It may be possible to reroute a few sections. It would be good to start with a good used bike as it will be well used in the end.I live in Ohio But I grew up On the Oregon Coast at Coos Bay. I have a nephew who is a nurse in Coos Bay so there would be medical assistance at the end LOL.:norton Has anyone else ventured into this type of twisted think too?
    Mike
  7. S/W

S/W Long timer

Oddometer:
    I also have a Silverwing, but, had a Helix before it. I have been riding since 1967 and have had everything from Harleys to crotch rockets.
    The Silverwing is my favorite bike of all I have had. It turns out to be a great highway bike and tourer. The Helix is great for around town, and less then 55MPH. It slows down to much on the steep hills, which means it's like driving a truck in the mountains, and is down right scary in a crosswind on the highway. Off highway touring is very comfortable, and I did several long trips on mine. I had to put a back rest on it as my back was toast after an hour without it. The helix is alot of fun,and although I love my SW, If I had room in my shed, I would have a Helix there too.
    S/W
  8. maydaymike

maydaymike Fearless Commuter

Oddometer:
  9. ScootGuy

ScootGuy Adventurer

Oddometer:
  10. JerseyBiker

JerseyBiker Living the life!

Oddometer:
    I'll add my .02

I've also had lot's of scoots/bikes, including B'Man 650, 400, 4 Silver Wings, 2 Reflexes....well, you get the idea. Currently I'm down to just a Helix. Last scoot sold was my SilverWing.

People above set it right - the SW is a great touring and overall scoot (as are the B'Mans). I found myself doing less and less longer rides and so each trip to the garage I'd jump on the Helix so, I sold the SW.

As said above, there's just something about the smaller scoots that is fun. I find myself smiling when I ride. With a 250 I can do a long ride if I want (tho' clearly the larger scoots are more comfy for that) and also ride around town.

I love all scoots and will surely own a lot more as years go by but after riding bikes for 35 years and scoots for the last 10, I think the Helix is the most fun of anything I've owned.

Oh and if you like to do your own maintenance, you might want to buy something else unless maintenance to you is changing oil. That's about all you do with a Helix. Put in gas, change the oil and smile.

Be well and ride safe

DOC
  11. Coopdway

Coopdway Curiouser

Oddometer:
    Besides all of the other reasons mentioned above, this short and sweet part is what I really expected and found with the Helix. I wanted, "turn the key and ready" and have been very pleased that my research brought satisfaction.

While I believe and would never hesitate to encourage ATGATT, I'm MTGMTT when I'm willing to accept some M-risk and part of that is my new half helmet that lets everyone see my smiling mug, unhidden and not as stealthy looking mean as was being fully covered in dark.

It's been a long time since so many driveways and audomobeels have had smiling, waving people that initiate the same. I'm liking it...... a lot.
    bluestuff68 likes this.
  12. windburn

windburn Long timer

Oddometer:
    You sit 3" lower on a Helix then any other scooter that I know of so when the machine and passenger are lower this make the helix just easier to move left to right in leans and when moving around the garage. short people have a very easy flat foot stop. a few draw backs they have a very long wheel base so they take a bigger circle to turn around in Making taking the Motorcycle practical exam a difficulty. the trade off is that the ride is improved. The headlight are revered in the scooter community as reliable and casting light better and father then the smaller Italian scooters. Tire rubber on all scooters do not generally last as long as the circle is smaller making more RPM but some brands are getting twice as far as the Perreli brands that come with Italian scoots. Like Nascar the softer the polymers the better the grip on corners the harder the polymers the longer they where so their is a trade off. I can report that Bridgstone tires seem to work very well and I would not be a corner carver or Racer. However expect to replace tires.
    CVT (continually variable transmission) is a masterful invention allowing for a belt drive with centifical clutches working together with the motor and the road. this gives almost all new scooters an automatic transmission with out a clutch or chain or gears. the beauty of the CVT is that it is designed to work with in the design of the motor so you never can Red line or lug a scooter engine, that make them last for a long time. You Hear " Honda Motors are bullet proof" There is a lot of reason for that statement but the CVT is one good reason. The down side is that at low RPM you CVT is Just coasting and the belt is loose and you do not have positive power to the drive wheel. corners at low speed can dump you and spin out when you ad the power and that small wheel kicks in its torque on pea Gravel. It laid me down once so I watch it like a hawk.
    Week point the Intake manifold is likely to crack on high mileage 30,000 miles helix causing the additional air in the head cylinder to change the mixture and causing the head gasket to go south. you will have oil all over your motor and loss compression. inspect the intact manifold between the carburetor and the head for cracks.
    All in all the Helix may be Honda second best model Just behind the cub the #1 motorcycle ever made.:clap
  13. ernest t bass

ernest t bass Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I owned a 1986 Helix and have nothing bad to say about it.

I paid $2999 for it brand new in 1986

I rode it as hard as it could be ridden (almost always full throttle)
    Super comfortable for long rides.

34,000 trouble free miles.
    Tires, Brakes, & General Maintenance Only.

Top Speed - 72 mph
  14. windburn

windburn Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ernest, what a powerful recommendation . A one owner helix! What attracted you to the Helix in 1986?:clap
  15. backroads jim

backroads jim Review of midsize scooters

Oddometer:
    Thanks everyone. These stories, experiences and testimonials make
    me want to find a good used Helix and start riding.

I have owned everything from a small bike to a big touring bike. I find
    that the smaller bikes have provided the most fun pound for pound
    and dollar for dollar. Not surprising that scoots should be the same.

The search for a good Helix in on!

Jim
  16. Bird76Mojo

Bird76Mojo Bird is the word

Oddometer:
    My aunt has two Helix scoots. One 86 and one 87. One in red and one in cream white. Both have under 10,000 miles I believe. She loans them to me every summer just to keep them serviced and ridden. They're a BLAST! The trunk will hold well over an 18 pack of beer, plus the navigator and a passenger! It'll still go over 75mph loaded. I've had hers (both) up to a 100. Smooth too. They will haul ass for a scooter. Plus you CAN do the dirty on em without falling off. They have grab handles made for this task. :evil

I'd recommend these to anyone in the market for a scooter. I think she's wanting to sell hers too?

GB :D
  17. ernest t bass

ernest t bass Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was the natural progression:

1981 Honda Passport 70
    1984 Honda Elite 125

1986 Honda Helix 250

1985 Honda XL350R
    1988 Honda Hurricane 600

My Honda Dealer Loved me back then.
  18. windburn

windburn Long timer

Oddometer:
    Enon, Ohio is a Small town, None spelled Backwards, with 2500 inhabitant surrounded by corn fields. Why would 12 active helix rider be here you perhaps would never ask. Well the man who ran the grave yard loved helix and he and a buddy began to buy Helix from auction and the began saling them to their friend. the friend became excited about helix so their friends, so on and so on. I heard from a friend so I called and before long i was saddled over a helix too. When you come to Enon you will see a helix parked at the vets office down town. the resturaunt is the club house for Scooter club. They all come out on the forth of july. the used car dealer has a black helix all looking polished and he has bull nuts hanging from the back. another helix is farkled with all the crome available. My Helix is green and has Snoopy Painted on the back. Now this collection of city folk are outwardly sussessful selfmade folks. but behind it all is this real fun spirit and affection for the honda helix.
  19. zero

zero Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Only had it a couple of months and am really very pleased with it upto now!
    Another fine "right off the button" honda. The only thing I'm not happy with is the mirrors (not exactly major) and the suspension, but thats becuase mine are well worn (Which I learned while taking a corner with a passenger. Centerstand and road made friends breifly a few times so had to be very carefull!)

I've had little 125's and a few 260kg cx's and everything inbetween and can pretty confidently say this is the most enjoyable bike to ride i've had.. not "wind witsleing through your nostrils and your buttcheaks creaceing the seatpan" fun but just pure riding goodness. Good to know fun biking can be attained without being contorted into the shape of the chinese symbol for chiropractor.

As for long distance.. hmm I think once your used to it maybe.. the only long ride i've taken it on was bring it back from where i'd brought it, 100 miles of mixed highway and backroads. Got back and my legs felt like they'd been eaten by 12 hippos, came out the other side then been sewn back on.

Wether protection is very very good, even when I've been caught out in the bad rain i'll be mostly dry when I get where I'm going.

Could go on and on, but they are well worth a go! Only thing that worrys me is if something happens to mine it'll be next to impossible to get another cause there quite rare here :(
  20. windburn

windburn Long timer

Oddometer:
    Zero, you can find parts on Ebay that could be shipped. Helix forums may be able to help with parts when the time comes but until then just ride and enjoy.
    You have friend here over the pond in your old colonies who are happy to help if need be.
    There is a helixparts.com in Europe that can ship after market Parts for helix's

Mike