New 2012 Honda NC700X 700cc Parallel Twin!

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by Two Plugs, Sep 27, 2011.

1. Two Plugs

Two Plugs Born to be blunt Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well, Mark, they do perform great with the NC700 engine. But they compensate with the new Crosstourer (see my report elsewhere here at ADVrider): average 8 liters!!! That's stone-age performance.
  2. scooterspirit

scooterspirit DaddyGeneralSir

Oddometer:
  3. cug

cug Out riding ...

Oddometer:
    There is no statiscally significant data for fuel consumption on the Crosstourer. Same for the NC700X. We need a representative group of people using the bike for at least 10 fill ups. Everything else is not really valid.
  4. larryboy

larryboy Just obey!

Oddometer:

Correct, the average motorcycle mag "test" is 400 miles, USA miles. :wink:

When I tested a Stelvio for a week I put 3,000 miles on it and pounded the hell out of it, they were horrified when I brought it back. :lol3 The bike changed so much over the course of a week that my opinion from day one didn't match my opinion at day 7 at all and mpg's went from mid-20's to upper 40's at the end.
  5. AZbiker

AZbiker Say hi to the bad guy

Oddometer:
    Something just occurred to me. You know that the video you posted isn't the CBR250 us Yanks are talking about, right?

Our CBR250 is a brand new FI single that loses an R, 3 pistons, and 8,500 rpm. The RR was never sold in the US and if there are any here, I think the total would be less than the fingers on one hand.

Cool vid though.

I don't think the 700 will cannibalize many 250 sales because the 700 is built for a full-size human. I would look like a gorilla fucking a football if I tried to ride a 250cc sportbike. :lol3

Not that I don't like them, but they are small.
  6. GrahamD

GrahamD Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sorry guys, I thought you had the Fast one. My mistake. Should have known.
  7. AZbiker

AZbiker Say hi to the bad guy

Oddometer:
    After the sales debacles from the FZR400, Bandit400 and CB-1 the Big-4 are a little gunshy about bringing sub-600cc sportbikes over here. No tiered licensing.
  8. Evenflo76

Evenflo76 Cheap and Easy

Oddometer:
    Honda Haters don't like the truth :lol3
  9. hansi

hansi Teurer Abenteurer Supporter

Oddometer:

Honda Lovers don't like the truth????? :evil
    This thread belongs into road warriors :wink:
  10. bluesman

bluesman Long timer

Oddometer:
    The problem with fuel consumption - it does needs large statistical data as stated above. I mean - different riders, different conditions. There absolutely nothing record braking about figures of 3.7-4.1 l per 100 km. This is expected.
    For example - one of my bikes considered by public opinion thirsty. It's carbed. Not that this bothers me - TBH I don't give a damn as I know how insignificant real life $$$ economy comes from 1 liter fuel per 100 even here.

I can ride that bike so, that it takes 5.5 l/100, 6 l/100, 7 l /100 (my usual) in mixed riding and up to 10 l/100 in full-scale canyons ripping. At same time I can ride it in 6-7 l/100 in mixed riding including passing small backroads, towns, cities, highways and without being sluggish really.

So - what fuel consumption is this bike?
  11. The Meerkat

The Meerkat Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I looked at the NC700X in a dealership yesterday. It was the red and black model and they had it sitting as the main attraction in the middle of the showroom. It took me all of 5 seconds to fall in love with the bike.
    I'm looking for a comfortable, economical, weekend tourer.

I will be taking it on a test drive in a few weeks time.

While thinking about the bike I came up with (what I think is) a good idea.

The bike has a 3.1 gal imp. tank which will give between 210-240 mile range.
    But it has a very nice 21 litre helmet storage area at the front.
    If a removable spare fuel tank could be made to fit into that area it might allow for another 16 litres of fuel.
    Therefore a extra range of 240-270 miles and a grand total of 450-510 miles.:clap

I imagine that Honda or after market manufacturers will have already come up with this idea but I can't find anything online about it. Does anyone know if there is something like this on the horizon?
  12. beemerphile

beemerphile Unreconstructed Southerner Supporter

Oddometer:
    My thoughts exactly. I have a Yamaha TMax with a similar layout. I would easily trade some of the storage for gas. It is especially a good trade for the NC700 where the difference can be made up with proper side cases (not the Honda offerings). However, I wouldn't hold my breath waiting on the aftermarket to do something like this unless it becomes an Iron Butt favorite. I am looking at this bike as well (as a TMax replacement) and would likely fabricate something - piped into the main supply.
  13. The Meerkat

The Meerkat Adventurer

Oddometer:
    "I posted this earlier in the wrong thread"

I looked at the NC700X in a dealership yesterday. It was the red and black model and they had it sitting as the main attraction in the middle of the showroom. It took me all of 5 seconds to fall in love with the bike.
    I'm looking for a comfortable, economical, weekend tourer.

I will be taking it on a test drive in a few weeks time.

While thinking about the bike I came up with (what I think is) a good idea.

The bike has a 3.1 gal imp. tank which will give between 210-240 mile range.
    But it has a very nice 21 litre helmet storage area at the front.
    If a removable spare fuel tank could be made to fit into that area it might allow for another 16 litres of fuel.
    Therefore a extra range of 240-270 miles and a grand total of 450-510 miles.:clap

I imagine that Honda or after market manufacturers will have already come up with this idea but I can't find anything online about it. Does anyone know if there is something like this on the horizon?
  14. SpaceManSpiff

SpaceManSpiff Man of Mystery

Oddometer:
    how about your impressions of the bike so far. is it fun? how does it handle? pics are nice too.....:evil

I sat on one at the gothenburg show last month, and i liked the idea, but the pillion seat seemed minimal and the seat to peg distance a little tight for my height (6'3").
  15. JamesG

JamesG Rabid Poster

Oddometer:
    I don't think my knees and butt has that much range...

I doubt Honda would do that because they would have to get it DOT (legal certification) approved which is expensive. And the aftermarket as well either because of the liability issue, it is fuel after all.

But a pony tank or even extending the stock tank into an endurance tank would be fairly simple to DIY.
  16. bluesman

bluesman Long timer

Oddometer:
    This will never ever pass certification in EU, therefore do not expect anything from Honda on that. UNLESS there will be some crazy strong lobby for that and Honda will decide to spend lots of cash on doing it. As if they ever done it...it is business, not charity.
    This is budget bike. Budget = no money spent on R&D developing options.
  17. Grainbelt

Grainbelt marginal adventurer

Oddometer:
    Talk to your local iron butt and road rally guys. The only safe way to do that is with a rigid mounted, *grounded*, properly plumbed tank, likely with its own fuel pump. You can't just gravity feed back to the main tank because it would overflow.

There aren't many places where 200 miles isn't enough, and a couple of MSR bottles in the cavity would get you another 40 miles, if needed...
  18. The Meerkat

The Meerkat Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I was thinking more along the lines of a helmet space shaped Jerry Can.
    Something I could lift out and refuel the main tank with.

That way I could ride until I run out of fuel in the main tank and know that my Jerry Can has more than enough to get me back to civilization. I hate having to plan trips around petrol stations.
  19. mrbreeze

mrbreeze I keep blowing down the road

Oddometer:
    just get a 2 gallon plastic fuel jug and carry it in the storage area... for those RARE times when a 200+ mile range isn't enough.
  20. JamesG

JamesG Rabid Poster

Oddometer:
    That is a very bad idea.

[​IMG]