Suzuki finally updating the Wee-Strom?

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by markbvt, Jun 1, 2011.

1. eye.surgeon

eye.surgeon ...riding California

Oddometer:
    The relative merits of the makeover have absolutely nothing to do with the marketing choices of the ad agency.

They're doing what they think will sell bikes. They in all likelihood couldn't tell the difference between a multistrada and a Ninja 250 in a lineup.
  2. Glenngineer

Glenngineer Scooty Puff Sr.

Oddometer:
    FYI, DL1K front fork are shit.
  3. big sky mt

big sky mt Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Not if you respring them for your weight/type of riding and have them revalved (easly done if you've done dirt bike forks).

Did that to mine and transformed it. It still is loose on gravel roads. If I stand up and ride the dangerous spots, all is good.

bigskymt
  4. GrahamD

GrahamD Long timer

Oddometer:
  5. GlenInk

GlenInk Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Are things so bad that these guys can`t afford a decent photographer ? :huh
  6. Redne Dab

Redne Dab Poseur Extraordinaire

Oddometer:
    Is this the new Strom..? The tail sure looks more sportbikey and higher. I wonder what that will do to cargo capacity.
  7. stewy (Aus)

stewy (Aus) searching for a ride

Oddometer:
    looks like a trumpy rear end
  8. tedder

tedder irregular

Oddometer:
    it's certainly another image floating around, just like the other dozen photoshop jobs.
  9. SilentRay

SilentRay Wheres that go Supporter

Oddometer:
    :rofl:rofl:rofl
  10. Odiemann

Odiemann Grateful

Oddometer:
    I know with the fuzzography and all, but does that look larger than a Wee to anyone else?
  11. SilentRay

SilentRay Wheres that go Supporter

Oddometer:
    Looks to me, from the blurry/crappy pic, it may have a one piece tank. No side panels. Kinda like the 1150 GS's. :dunno
  12. Desert Dave

Desert Dave Enjoying the moment

Oddometer:
    I agree. I think the whole plan is to hype something to the point of a frenzy no matter how marginal the improvements are. I think the whole mentality of the tech industry has taken over motorcycles to, everybody WANTS last years bike to be old news. I keep reading on the forums about how bikes like the strom are "long in tooth" and due for a full makeover, and I still think if my current bike was built in the same decade that I'm riding it then I'm on a modern bike :lol3

Competition bikes being the exception for me, I'm fine with keeping a design that just works for what I bought it for. That being said if they do step up the new strom to something I can't live without, I'll put money down tomorrow :deal
  13. lucas123

lucas123 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

This is a Tiger 1050.
  14. GrahamD

GrahamD Long timer

Oddometer:
    :clap
  15. GrahamD

GrahamD Long timer

Oddometer:
    Remember....

Fuzzy images until then. If you don't like it come back in July.
  16. markjenn

markjenn Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don't know about this. BMW, for one, has had mostly home runs in their recent production introductions. Theirr products are pitched in an entirely different way. The pitch is understated, technically sophisticated, substantial, and intelligent. The technical product briefs they prepare are unbelievably comprehensive and sophisticated.

Has anyone seen the Kawasaki TV ad lately where the best man stands up to at the wedding reception and during the toast becomes overcome with the desire to run down to his dealer to buy a new Kawasaki. This sort of pitch says nothing about the why a Kawasaki is a desirable motorcycle to own - just that they're on sale. It is this sort of pitch that the Japanese are resorting to these days because for the most part, their product hasn't moved forward in a decade. (Well, maybe with the VFR they've moved a long ways "sideways".)

The majority of TV spots for Honda these days are for their generators.

Is there a strong reason to want to own this new Strom over the old one? I'm certainly not seeing anything so far. It looks like one small step up from BNG. And I say all this after having owned a Wee for five years and generally thinking it was one of the best overall motorcycles I've ever owned. But to stay in the game, you've got to move forward. And not piss off your potential customers by continuing to not deliver on your promises for further information.

- Mark
  17. PeterW

PeterW Long timer

Oddometer:
    I did buy mine as an adventure bike. It'll also run at 50-60mph on dirt all day and still get 50mpg. Something the more heavy duty adv. bikes fail massively at.

I'd hate to loose that - but I have to say - Suzuki's promotion of what's probably going to be a DL with a Gladius engine and new plastics isn't winning fans.

IF it turns out to be a 750/800 which still retains the good points of the existing DL, I'll probably forgive them for that - otherwise - epic fail guys.

Pete
  18. Klay

Klay dreaming adventurer

Oddometer:
    Well, they haven't shown anything so far. :lol3 So that's kind of getting ahead of things.
  19. Voluhzia

Voluhzia iExplorer

Oddometer:
    Suzuki #&%@?+ f&$!?& shit. Even ?&$*@* Strom. Why #$*#*@. I'm done. $@#?$ it.
  20. PhiSig1071

PhiSig1071 Friendly Neighborhood Privateer

Oddometer:
    That argument could certainly be made.

[​IMG]