There are lots of G650X Challenge and Country threads - let's see your G650X Moto!

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Solace, Oct 21, 2008.

1. Solace

Solace Long timer

Oddometer:
    I sold my Challenge and got a new Moto. First order of business was to add the Akrapovic full-Ti system ...

Original header
    [​IMG]

New Ti header
    [​IMG]

Going on the new bike
    [​IMG]

Added the axle sliders
    [​IMG]

And peg sliders
    [​IMG]

Exhaust system includes nice carbon heat shields
    [​IMG]

Ready for the first ride
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The results? Awesome! Pipe is loud but it is a good loud. Sounds great rolling the throttle through the middle gears. Bike handles well at higher speeds. I need to get a few more heat cycles on the motor so I can ramp her up. This bike is going to rock down in the hills!

Stay tuned, I have a couple plans for the bike including Challenge wheels/tires and maybe some bodywork changes.
    joho5978 likes this.
  2. Dominus

Dominus WSMC#931

Oddometer:
    That's a really nice exhaust. Whereabouts did you pick it up?
  3. Solace

Solace Long timer

Oddometer:
    It is 2 BMW part numbers ordered at a BMW dealer. I can provide them if you need (not handy at the moment).
  4. Kawidad

Kawidad Long timer

Oddometer:
    Saweeeet :thumb :devildog
  5. Dominus

Dominus WSMC#931

Oddometer:
    Sure thing...when you get the time let us know.
  6. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    There was a similar thread to this one about showing the Xmoto, but I can't seem to find it.. it only went to 3 or 4 posts..

I'm afraid to ask what the Akrapovic system cost you.. Does it come with a slip on catalytic converter like the one available for the F800GS?

I asked my dealer for a price on it and it was about $1400 just for the can, and the header was... :scratch, I can't recall..
  7. Solace

Solace Long timer

Oddometer:
    The header is BMW part number is

71 60 7 711 649

and the muffler is

71 60 7 714 114

This is the "racing use only" system. They were supposed to develop a "homologated" street-legal version but it doesn't exist yet, so I got the loud one. Very nice.

And no, there is not a catalyst included ...
  8. Ray R

Ray R Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    We can't just let this thread die after one post! Here's mine:
  9. Ray R

Ray R Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Full Remus exhaust, unifilter air filter, airbox lid removed, charcoal canister removed, CRG bar-end mirror, ummm....uhhhh.....more coming.....custom seat, Isotta windscreen....maybe try the Touratech large fuel tank.
  10. Solace

Solace Long timer

Oddometer:
    Uni filter and airbox mod ... I gotta do that too! I think after a couple more rides I need more incoming air to match the new exhaust. I'm getting a slight stumble just above idle when cold. Hopefully the filter mod will help the cause?

I got a set of Cycra handguards to throw on, will report back with pics when that's done.
  11. ropedrag

ropedrag Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sweet exhaust system you have there! I've seen the full "race" system for $975 but I have to wonder how loud is it, or how loud is loud?

I went with the X-challenge as it's easier to convert back and forth to a motard then the X-moto. Dirt one day, street the next.

[​IMG]
  12. Solace

Solace Long timer

Oddometer:
    Cool wheels, ropedrag, did you get them from Redbull Addict? I almost bought them from him to put on my Challenge but it ended up being cheaper for me to trade the Challenge for the Moto.

I have a set of spoked Challenge wheels I'll throw onto the Moto when I want to go play on gravel roads.
    [​IMG]

I got 4 sets of used tires with the purchase of the used wheels
    [​IMG]

But for now the new Moto is a blast to ride! It runs from 85 up to 100 pleasingly quickly and is quite stable at speed. Here's the bike tonight after installing the Cycra handguards and Touratech tankbag.

[​IMG]

Footnote to exhaust: this thing is stupid-loud but it makes you grin with each brap of the throttle.

Heh.
  13. ropedrag

ropedrag Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No I bought the wheels off Jackhole they came from Woodys and seem to be great wheels, I'm quite happy with em. I do need to buy a spare set of rotors, and ABS rings along with an extra rear sprocket though.

What are you're plans for the front fender when you swap out to off road mode?

Not sure what 17" rubber your running but the Avon Distanzas are sweet like candy! Soft and grippy meaning they won't last to long but a cornucopia of grip. The hand guards look good!
  14. Solace

Solace Long timer

Oddometer:
    Stock tires are Pirelli Diablos. After a 250-mile backroads blast today, I can say they have ample traction on pavement but none on gravel. Distanzias are on the list for when these wear out. I might also try the Avon racing rain tires they make in the 120 and 160 sizes. Many little tread blocks make me wonder if they'll be decent on gravel roads although I'm sure they're as soft as pencil erasers and mileage will be very short. We'll see.
  15. Solace

Solace Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's one thing to show the bike in the garage, here it is out in the wild ...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's a ton of fun to ride!
  16. Nopork

Nopork Dickhead Adventurer

Oddometer:
    How does the X-Moto handle on gravel in its present form? I have been thinking of getting one of these for commuting and some gravel road travel. I thought if I put on the distanzia tires it might get me by for what I need.

thanks
  17. judas

judas ubern00ber

Oddometer:
    cant imagine this bike will be in the 2010 line-up. the dealers around here cant give these things away.
  18. slide

slide A nation with a future

Oddometer:
    Never tried the X-Moto on gravel (had it for a few days as a dealer loaner) but I did use my KTM SMC on dirt. The tires are the great limiter rather than anything to do with the bike (on the KTM but I think that extends to the BMW). So I'd ride dirt roads / forest roads and do OK but it was much skiddier than the same riding using even modestly aggressive dirt tires like my wife's DRZ with Kenda 270's.

OTOH, the bike was so controllable, that the skiddiness wasn't scary. If I got a BMW Moto, I'd fit Pirelli Scorp Synchs to make the bike just as good on pavement but at least a bit surer on gravel roads.
  19. Solace

Solace Long timer

Oddometer:
    With the stock Pirelli Diablo tires, gravel traction is minimal. Avon Distanzias are a little better. I have a set of Challenge wheels on standby and can fit proper gravel/offroad tires on them.

With the stock pavement tires, the bike rocks in the twisties! It's fun.
  20. conrado

conrado Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]