Riding West Virginia Website

Discussion in 'Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge' started by pnoman, Dec 19, 2010.

1. pnoman

pnoman Just Average

Oddometer:
    Just added:

Rt 33 - eastbound from I-79 to the VA state line (Aug 2011) - CLICK HERE

Almost 100 photos. Hope you enjoy it as much as I did!
  2. Guy Young

Guy Young Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nice Mike.

Intersting fact about your dad's (and grand-dad's) work on the Alpine. I've eaten there several times; the food was good.
  3. pnoman

pnoman Just Average

Oddometer:
    The RidingWV site will be offline for a couple of days.

I currently have 2 separate accounts with 1and1.com and I am in the process of consolidating both the RidingWV site and my personal site into one account for simplified billing. They said it may take 24-48 hours to switch the RidingWV site into the other account. I just started the process at noon today (Tuesday). I'm keeping a close watch on it to make sure it does switch over soon - hopefully before the weekend.

Please check back in a day or two. Sorry for the inconvenience. <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->
  4. pnoman

pnoman Just Average

Oddometer:
    Site is back online.

www.RidingWV.com

There are a few small bugs (links) I'm working on, but it's 99% there.

Enjoy!
  5. DuckWV

DuckWV Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Not much going on in September :')

So, how do you plan on updating a riding site when you're not riding? gonna have to work on that!!
  6. pnoman

pnoman Just Average

Oddometer:
    File photos, my friend, file photos. :D I've got a ton of photos from the past couples of years that I can turn into ride reports, campsite reports, etc. when time permits. Also, I'm hoping some of the readers will send in photos/reports (hint, hint :wink: ) .

Getting ready to start my new job Monday, so I've not worked on the page much. Maybe when I get settled into the new routine. I did get my Christmas Cantata - "Is He?" - finished and ready to send through the printers. You can hear me playing the piano accompaniment on the Music page of my website - CLICK HERE.

I'll be updating the Sept/Oct activities soon, too.

Saw lots of bikes today going to Parkersburg and back on Rt 50. Nice day for a ride.

Later.
  7. Kyler

Kyler Geezer

Oddometer:
    I wish you had some back roads listed - we need ideas for the Hardcore Tag game.
  8. pnoman

pnoman Just Average

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the input, but my original plan was to stick to paved and gravel backroads, since I never ventured into the "hardcore" offroading like you'zns. If readers would like to submit articles and/or photos, I could maybe add an "off-road" page.

pnoman (AKA bikelessman)
  9. Kyler

Kyler Geezer

Oddometer:
    well, when we say "hardcore" we mean legal roads. WV has a BUNCH of really bad roads and we want to ride them before they get cityfied :evil
  10. pnoman

pnoman Just Average

Oddometer:
    Now that I am bikeless, I have some time to work on the RidingWV website. www.RidingWV.com I just posted a very revised layout that is (hopefully) easier to navigate and easier to find what you want quickly. Still checking for bugs (bad links, etc) so let me know if you find something.

NEW: For Sale Page if you are an individual (not a dealer!!) selling a bike/gear and you live in WV or adjacent state (sorry, not enough room or time to handle a nationwide page). Email me the info using the link on the site.

WANTED: Please send your photos along with a short description/story. I will do proofreading.

WHAT'S NEEDED? Photos and short (or long) stories reviewing rides, restaurants/diners, campgrounds, attractions, etc. I'm hoping to add a lot of reader-written articles this year. Start small with a photo and restaurant review, and go from there.

THANKS FOR YOUR INPUT! Hope you enjoy the site.
  11. WVhillbilly

WVhillbilly Long timer

Oddometer:
    What's needed?

More time for me to ride :cry
  12. jon_l

jon_l Long timer

Oddometer:
    pnoman - I'm enjoying your ridingwv site. Thank you.

Curious - what prompted the change from that lovely Nighthawk to the big V-Strom? V-Stroms are good bikes to be sure, but I sure like the look of that red, air-cooled Honda 750!

I lived in the Charlottesville VA area for 20 years through the 70s and 80s, and before that for a year with my grandparents in Alderson, WV. I sure miss the rolling hills, the Blue Ridge / Smoky mountains, the friendly people, and that part of the world in general.

My wife and I are planning to trailer the dual-sports down from Ontario to WV this year. We'll ditch the trailer as soon as we arrive, spend a couple days checking out some of the easier trails of the Hatfield and McCoy system (Little Coal River, maybe Rock House), and then several more days enjoying those fabulous WV mountain roads.
  13. DuckWV

DuckWV Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I wondered if you would get around to this.
    Wish I had some time to help.
    Maybe sometime soon!
  14. OakLeaf

OakLeaf n00b

Oddometer:
    Nice site! I love riding in WV and appreciate all the great info!

I've done a good bit of riding in WV already have can put in some info that would be useful to others. Should I send it to you?

This makes me think: What would be the best framework for a motorcyclist web-site? I love Adv Rider, but a forum is very limiting. It would be great if everyone could upload their GPS tracks/routes or gmap routes, drop pins for food, lodging, views, favorite twisty bits, and favorite off-road bits. ...Then, the great part would be when every one can search and rate the info by drawing an oval around the area they are interested in. There is tons of information in this forum, but it's not very easily found. Anyway, that's a tangent.

Cheers,

-Carl
  15. pnoman

pnoman Just Average

Oddometer:
    Jon,

Thanks - glad you are liking the site. Hope it proves helpful for your trip down here. I'd love to add any photos and/or write-ups you would like to submit. Just PM me here or use the "E-Mail Me" link on the RidingWV site, and I'll send you instructions on sending stuff.

I bought the V-Strom while I was still stationed out in Illinois. The Nighthawk was a fantastic bike (beautiful, classic lines). But when I had the opportunity to ride (and buy) an almost-new V-Strom 1000 for $5,700 (slow tip-over = scratched plastic), I was hooked. It had loooonnnng legs for those wide-open spaces in the midwest. I loved the Strom - very comfortable, lots of power, etc - but still drooled everytime I saw a Nighthawk 750.

Ride safe!
  16. pnoman

pnoman Just Average

Oddometer:
    Carl,

Thank you also for your comments. I don't know much about GPS (I still prefer Good-ol' Paper System of maps :lol3 ), but I can try to add a GPS page on the site. I'll need some tech help setting it up.

If you (or anyone else out there) have any photos and/or write-ups you would like to submit, just PM me here or use the "E-Mail Me" link on the RidingWV site. I will send you the info needed to submit stuff. I will proofread and edit if needed.

BTW - I'm honored to be your first post! :D Here's to many more.
  17. pnoman

pnoman Just Average

Oddometer:
    UPDATED:

I just added Ride Route #1, a suggested loop around the Seneca Rocks, Spruce Knob, Germany Valley, Franklin, and Smoke Hole area of West Virginia.

http://www.ridingwv.com/FolderStreetReports/Ride1.htm

In case you missed the earlier notice, I updated the layout of the site to make it more user-friendly.

ALSO - I added a "For Sale" page if you have a bike or gear for sale in WV or nearby in a surrounding state. The site has been averaging 1,000 - 1,500 hits per month, so you will have folks looking at it.

AND - I am also looking for photos and ride reports to post so readers from other states/countries can plan their next ride to WV. Click on the "Contact" page at www.RidingWV.com

THANKS!

18. Guy Young

Guy Young Long timer

Oddometer:
    Mike, reading between the lines........... you're getting "there." :thumb

19. pnoman

pnoman Just Average

Oddometer:
    Check out the great photos submitted by Douglas Graham on the Readers' Photos Page:

www.RidingWV.com

I also received some links for a Trans WV Trail blog report from another reader - will get those posted soon, as well as the upcoming events calendar. It's been a crazy couple of weeks, so I'm a little behind in my site updates. Check back in a few days. Thanks!!
  20. pnoman

pnoman Just Average

Oddometer:
    Added:

READER SUBMITTED: Trans-WV Trail Blog links (See Back Roads Page)

Legends Family Grill review - Buckhannon (See Diners/Food Page)

Nice YZ250 for sale - see "For Sale" Page

www.RidingWV.com