Good camping around Salmon Arm, BC

Discussion in 'Canada' started by SoSlow, Dec 13, 2012.

1. SoSlow

SoSlow Having fun

Oddometer:
    Hello!

I'm starting to plan a summer trip through BC and was looking at camping in the Salmon Arm area. I've looked up several campgrounds so far but the reviews for them have been almost universally terrible (noisy/dirty/stupid expensive).

Does anybody have a favourite/clean/safe tent camping site in the area?

Have a good day!
  2. Mercenary

Mercenary Mindless Savage

Oddometer:
    Well...Salmon Arm is close to a lot of places...so you're certainly not limited in choices where to camp.

What is your idea of camping anyway? Primitive sites that are way off the beaten track, Provincial campgrounds, or private campgrounds with all sorts of amenities?
  3. shuswap biker

shuswap biker Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You have the big provincial site Heralds park (on the lake, in whats called sunnybre)
    Piers point, Sandy point, Glenn echo are on the lake.
    There are a couple in town but do not remember their names.

If the spots are filled, drop me a PM.
  4. H96669

H96669 A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer:
    What's your itinerary anyway? Anything within a certain distance of the TC certainly can be,and is, a zoo in the summer.:eek1

I'd avoid anything close to the lakes with access ramps for the boats....jetskis etc...etc...!:eek1

Much more laid back in the Kootenays.:wink:
  5. SoSlow

SoSlow Having fun

Oddometer:
    For this trip I'm looking more for something in the Provincial/Private/Municipal type. I wish I had more time, but I'm going to be zipping through the area rather quickly. It's likely only going to be for one night. I don't mind too much if it's a little more expensive, but clean, quiet, and not located where only mountain goats can get to it would be a plus. :D
  6. SoSlow

SoSlow Having fun

Oddometer:
    Awesome, thanks - I'll check those out!
  7. SoSlow

SoSlow Having fun

Oddometer:
    That's a good point - I hadn't thought about the summer lake crush. Hmm... I was hoping to do this sometime in July to take advantage of the longer days.

I'm doing a couple of long days when I first head out of Manitoba and then start taking some smaller ones as I move further west. I plan to head up to Bella Coola, and I'm just hammering out the schedule at this point. Salmon Arm is a comfortable distance from what I expect to be my previous stop (Canmore).
  8. H96669

Oddometer:
    Bella Coola....Heckman!:clap Well named that pass!:wink:

Well Salmon Arm...there is a Home restaurant there, at least you can fill the belly.:clap
  9. OurBC

OurBC Live to Travel

Oddometer:
    Make sure to get a reservation if you are going to stay at a provincial campground, could be busy in July.
  10. H96669

Oddometer:
    Oh! forgot yesterday, great camping spot on HWY 20 and probably the best food on that Highway.:wink:

http://www.clearwaterlakelodge.com/

$20.00....hot VERY clean showers, quiet as in nobody around but the loons and best of all NO boats. Only takes a couple of them to wreck my camping experience. Only one at Fintry last summer....!:baldy
  11. GreatWhiteNorth

GreatWhiteNorth Long timer

Oddometer:
    Winterpeg - site of flatness beyond belief
    South of Sicamous (and east of Salmon Arm) is Mara Lake. We stayed at a private campground just south of the Provincial Park (day use/beach - no camping) on the lake. Was very nice!
  12. OurBC

OurBC Live to Travel

Oddometer:
  13. H96669

Oddometer:
    I like Chase.:clap And from there the Kamloops-Shushwap road to Kamloops, beats the TC anytime.:D A little gravel/cattle guards/cattle avoidance practice for later on HWY 20.:wink:
  14. SoSlow

SoSlow Having fun

Oddometer:
    Awesome info, thanks a lot!
  15. shuswap biker

shuswap biker Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    5-5.5 HRS from Calgary to S/A
    4-4.5 HRS from Canmore to S/A

Check out the BC forestry camp sites on line, you might just like Wop lake south of three valley gap or head over the kingfisher FSR to noisy creek for some entertainment.
  16. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    South of Three Valley Gap is the Wap river about 20kms, but you will cross a couple of gravel pits in the first couple of kms which would be okay for free wild camping.
    Its a good road for the most part,I've done in my wifes Acura( she doesn't know this:D)