The Compleat Yamaha TY80 Thread!!

Discussion in 'Trials' started by Brewtus, Apr 28, 2010.

1. Sting32

Sting32 Trials Evangelist

Oddometer:
  2. Wop

Wop Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I had a Deltek Grass Grub mini bike (you guessed it, lawnmower engine) first then the old man bought home a pristine TY80
    Although he never rode trials himself he had it in his head that we would.
    I used to curse that bike as I chased XR75's through the trails bottoming out the suspension everywhere I went but it sure could take a flogging and come back for more without so much as a wash for maintenence.

Went on to the red and white TY175 ( loved that bike) then the yellow and white 250.

Best thing about trials bikes is you learn to ride the right way no matter what else you find your self on.

After that trip down memory lane I gotta say that if there was a Society For The Prevention of Cruelty To Small Bikes you bastards would be in the hall of fame!
    Whats next show jumping on a Shetland ponies?
    Perhaps side car racing with Honda Monkey bikes.
  3. Brewtus

Brewtus Buffoonery, Inc.

Oddometer:

You said it yourself, these things are all but indestructible. In the 3 years that the League has competed on the Team TY (along with the occasional Twinshock competition done by one of us for fun), the ONLY thing that has ever broken on our TY was the silencer mount under the seat. That's it. We've bent the handlebars into origami, but the rest of the bike is fine.

Nope. We like motorcycles, not hayburners. Besides I've heard that after you run them awhile, they get a little hoarse..... :lol3

Funny you should say that. We have been considering a sidecar for the TY........:evil
  4. MiteyF

MiteyF Long timer

Oddometer:
    Mine's going to get a tiny trailer for grocery duty (3 blocks) :freaky
  5. Pro_Marinero

Pro_Marinero Carbon Sasquatch

Oddometer:
    Maybe it's buried here in the thread but I'm too lazy.

Does anyone use the B&J TY80 peg kit? My new TY80 has some bungled pegs on it. Somebody welded one side totally fixed and did a total booger job. The other side just has a bent peg. The B&J kit is $140 :eek1 but moves the pegs lower and farther back. Since the once side is pretty much shot I thought maybe this would be a decent fix, but I don't want to dump a bunch into this bike.

EDIT - I looked at it again today. I think I can flip sides with the footpeg plates and move the mounts farther back and down. If that doesn't work I'll cut some new plates with a plasma cutter. I'll use OSET 36v pegs instead. :thumb.
  6. MiteyF

MiteyF Long timer

Oddometer:
  7. Sting32

Oddometer:
    I think if you switch sides, the pegs dont fold when you crash/pass too close to rocks. not sure though it has been quite a while since I sold ours. back and down is best for someone being competitive, not sure how much it matters for a kid, once a kid gets half way good, a modern bike is a must, If you ask me anywho...

My dad just added strap iron the same size or so as original peg, but makes so the peg "width" (front to back, not fram to outside of peg) was increased, the key was adding to back of peg not the front. easy to do with vice, hammer and welder. Red line is what he added to the "straightened original pegs" if that helps ya any.

Attached Files:

• Peg.jpg
      Peg.jpg
      File size:
      5.1 KB
      Views:
  8. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
    The peg mounts are simple to make and the BJ pegs don`t move them enough. If you look at page 1 of the thread at the bike Brewtus has tried to destroy that was a bike I made for my oversize son. I just used flat stock and a chop:lol3 saw. Took less than an hour total time. I used rev3 mounts and pegs. You could use any beta or maybe montesa mounts. Not cost effective, but I had them laying around. I`m sure Brewtus would give out the measurements.
  9. Brewtus

Brewtus Buffoonery, Inc.

Oddometer:

For a small fee of course... :lol3

Lineaway's peg mounts are the main reason that the League is so Extraordinary on our TY. No way us normal sized fatasses (and one skinnyass) could ride this thing without them. PM me with promises of lavish gifts (or a half-hearted mention of a lukewarm beer) and I'll provide the specs. Maybe. :D
  10. Garthe

Garthe ROCKS ARE YOUR FRIENDS...

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

and now for something compleatly...different.
  11. Brewtus

Brewtus Buffoonery, Inc.

Oddometer:
    Bump for a neat thread.

The League at the Mountain West Vintage Trials Association National held last weekend in Roswell, New Mexico -

[​IMG]

Left to right - Greg "The Hammer" Arrants, Yers Truly, Matt "Yosemite Sam" Webb, and Lance "MooMoo" Butler.

A good time was had by all! :freaky
  12. MiteyF

MiteyF Long timer

Oddometer:
    Anybody wanna buy an 80? :evil I think $650 is more than fair. Everything works great, but I don't have anywhere to ride it, and want something small and 4-stroke for hunting/scouting...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  13. Gham

Gham tritagonist Supporter

Oddometer:
    You guy's are dressed pretty dapper for a TY 80:lol3
  14. Brewtus

Brewtus Buffoonery, Inc.

Oddometer:

Damn right we are. We take our TY80 buffoonery VERY seriously! :evil
  15. Sting32

Oddometer:
    Where'd you come up with those Shirts, Brew?
  16. Brewtus

Brewtus Buffoonery, Inc.

Oddometer:

Those are the 2012 Team New Mexico jerseys worn by our national riders. We all had one, so we dressed for success. :D
  17. Gham

Gham tritagonist Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sharp!!!! Lance 'MooMoo" has the matching pants,did he win?
  18. Brewtus

Brewtus Buffoonery, Inc.

Oddometer:
    Afraid not. The well-dressed man came in 4th on Saturday and 3rd on Sunday. Not a bad showing for a very large man on a very small TY. :thumb

I do believe however, that an inmate won the class that Moomoo rode, didn't he Bob? :evil
  19. Brewtus

Brewtus Buffoonery, Inc.

Oddometer:
    Yep, another season of silliness is upon us. Yesterday the Team TY received a new rear tire, and some actual Trials gearing, replacing the Bonneville gearing we had been running -

[​IMG]

Only one problem. The bigger sprocket put the chain into the oversize mystery shock -

[​IMG]

How to fix this........Oh yeah! I'm a Redneck!

[​IMG]

With the shock "shimmed" out of the way, chain clearance and buffoonery is gained! :thumb

Ride report and pics coming. I'll let you know how that oddball Vee Rubber rear tire works out. :D
  20. NMTrailboss

NMTrailboss Team Dead End

Oddometer: