Which Akrapovic Exhaust?

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by Treillw, Jul 27, 2010.

1. Treillw

Treillw Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hello. I have a 2009 KTM 990 Adventure and I would like to purchase a set of pipes for it. I was wondering if anybody could tell me the differences between the two styles of pipes Akrapovic has available for my bike - there seems to be two different pipes that would work, the Titanium Series and the Evolution Series. I haven't been able to find much information regarding the differences between the two. I'm looking answer the following questions: Which is lighter, are they both titanium, what is the sound difference between the two, and are they both street legal in the US? I would appreciate any information. Thanks.
  2. nvdesertrat

nvdesertrat Nevada Desert Rat

Oddometer:
    A few hundred $$ and The newer style has a carbon fiber tip on it. They are both Legal in the US.
  3. Treillw

Treillw Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The best sound is my primary concern, not money or weight really...
  4. kennyd

kennyd kennyd

Oddometer:
    wings have to core options 28mm like stock sound 32 mm much better throttle response and throaty rasp. both with spark screens also no core wide open maximum sound (music) www.alternatecycle.com in stock now!
  5. Jim Colombotos

Jim Colombotos Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If I was to do it over I would had done two to one.........fwiw
  6. nvdesertrat

nvdesertrat Nevada Desert Rat

Oddometer:
  7. wildehond

wildehond wildehond

Oddometer:
    I have the Ti Akra's with the metal end caps. I am a bit concerned about the cost of replacing that carbon end caps. They seem to scratch quit easily. My Pipes have been on the bike for two years now and they still look and sound great. Will probably get new packing for it in six months time.
  8. ebrew

ebrew Motorcycle A.D.D.

Oddometer:
    carbon on dirt bike. It shatters and makes nice pointy things that can stick in your skin.
  9. sonoran

sonoran Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Keep in mind the Akras don't have spark arrestors. Not sure if your ride where they are required but it's a real hassle if you get stopped without them.

FMF's are a good alternative and can be fitted with a spark arrestor.
  10. Jim Colombotos

Jim Colombotos Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  11. BronsonRacing

BronsonRacing Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Im looking at changing the stock cans at the mo. Ill probably go for wings but what are the advantages /disadvantages to a one pipe setup as i'd prefer to go this way to free up some room for a tool caddy.
  12. AdvRat

AdvRat Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Is there really a difference between the Akra's and maybe the FMF Q4 Titanium's. I'm just wondering if you can justify almost twice the money for the difference systems. Plus if you do want the Akra's and need the spark arrestors you need to go to someone like CJ's for add-on. It really makes me wonder on the whole issue. Are you just purchasing the name and the status - because I don't do that (I know sometimes they go together, but not always), if I did, I would have bought a BMW GS Adventure, not a KTM.

I am mainly looking for the very best quality - I don't like to put second best on anything, then second guess myself a few weeks later and wish I put or bought something else. I want to reduce the weight and the heat also and I would be lying if i didn't say any performance increases wouldn't be welcome.

So can anyone honestly tell me what the best system for a 2010 990 Adventure would be?
  13. Brown Dog

Brown Dog North Georgia Dual Sportr

Oddometer:
    NOTHING sounds better than a SET of Akra's on a 950/990 :deal

Superior Quality, Fit & Finish :thumb
  14. Dan950ser

Dan950ser Two Wheeled Addict

Oddometer:
    Fwiw I have the fmf titanium Q's and they look and sound great. They came on the bike or else they would be akra's but still great cans.
  15. AdvRat

AdvRat Adventurer

Oddometer:
    What Akra's? The newer Carbon Tip ones (Evolution) with the spring mount or the older design Oval, bolt on ones? I'm not sure if i like the Carbon Tips, plus I like the idea of being able to install spark arrestors in the older cans from say CJDesigns.
  16. Florida Lime

Florida Lime Long timer

Oddometer:
    Fixed ! :lol3
  17. nemesi

nemesi Adventurer

Oddometer:

btw, the main difference between akrapovic Titanium and evolution is that the evolution is available also with catalytic converter to fulfill the euro 3 regulation and be street legal in europe.
    Titanium version is available only without catalytic converter and it is street legal on 950 and 990 up to '08 version.

Here the ktm codes

60105099000 Evolution without catalytic conv and NOT street legal (in europe) on 990 '09 and later models

60105099100 Evolution with catalytic converter

60005099000 Titanium without catalytic converter

Evolution is sold in slip-on version but it includes an adapter that makes it bolt-on to fit the distributor (w pipe)
    DistortedAxis likes this.
  18. Brown Dog

Oddometer:
    Older Oval Units :clap

CJ's products are :thumb in my book

[​IMG]
    dooby likes this.
  19. dabracing

dabracing 1

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
  20. Brown Dog

Oddometer:
    Dab, Super Nice SE :thumb

Folks,
    IF your fortunate enough to own a KTM 950/990,
    WHY wouldnt you want the Best Exhaust for the Best Dual Sport / ADVenture Bike Made :hide