HID triggers Brake Failure Light

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by GapRunr, Sep 15, 2011.

1. GapRunr

GapRunr Well Known Hermit

Oddometer:
    I've got a question for the inmates. I'll try to be detailed. I installed a set of Hella knockoff lights on my 07 R1200GSA. They are 4 inch round HID with internal ballasts. I already have an HID low beam installed years ago which has been trouble free. While I was installing these lights I relocated the low beam ballast to the area under the beak where hundreds of people have mounted their ballasts.

I've got 4 inches of 10 gauge wire from the battery to a heavy duty waterproof fuse holder with a 20 amp fuse. From there I ran the wire up the right side of the engine to the area located just behind the BMW logo on the upper side panel, where I have the relay. From there it's about 8 inches to one light, and across under the beak to the other side its about 18 inches.

When I am using these HID Lights, I get the Brake Failure light. When I get the Brake Failure light the bikes brake light also comes on and stays on. Sometimes the Brake Failure (BF) warning is immediate, and other times it is after a few minutes and at times I have gone 10-15 miles before the BF light. If I don't use the HID lights, I can ride all day and not have the issue.

I'm leaning towards two possible causes.

One is that the battery may be a little low. While running I see around 14.6 on the voltmeter and when I turn the bike and all accessories off I see about 12.7 on the voltmeter. My thought is that the lower voltage triggers the ABS computer as a warning. I'm unclear as to why the rear brake light stays on, unless that's BMW's way of saying "Hey, I'm low on voltage here, let's turn on yet another light as a warning". Still, when I'm running 65mph down the highway at 14.6 volts you'd think there is enough for the ABS.

The second theory is some sort of Electro Magnetic Interference from the HID ballasts, or possibly the routing of the power wire.

I'm open to suggestions, and would love to hear any theories or ideas from others that might give me an idea of what else to look for. I'm kind of stumped since I can't reproduce it precisely. I can prevent it from happening by not using the HID lights at all, but I can't make it happen on demand.
  2. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid!

Oddometer:
    Where do you connect your signal wire?

Your battery and charging system are not the problem. It is slightly possible that you have a field issue with the ballast, but I am leaning towards a wiring issue, OR, you have an intermittant connection on your tail light bulb, and it is oddly coincidental that your HID install seems to have an effect.

By the way, your title makes it sound like your brakes are not working, not that you get a warning light.

Jim :brow
  3. GoFar

GoFar My butt hurts.

Oddometer:
    I'm with Jim. It's not a voltage issue. I don't think it's a tail light issue only because you've indicated that when you don't run the HIDs, you don't have this issue.

If that's all true, that leaves us with the HID it'self. You may have an RF issue, or more likely your trigger wire, which Jim mentions as well. Why it would trip a brake light warning...I have no idea.

Try these things:

1) Move the wiring to the other side (assuming it'll reach) and see what effect it has (RF interference should move)

2) Move your ballast position

3) Review your trigger wire source and location.

4) As always, check all connection for corrosion and positive connections.

5) Tell us what you find.:ear
  4. GapRunr

Oddometer:
    The signal wire is triggered from the OEM high beam using an H7 Relay Trigger which doesn't require cutting of the OEM wires. There is a switch in line with that signal wire so that I can choose to have the HID lights on with the high beam. The trigger wire runs from the high beam down under the radiator and across under the beak area to the right front panel behind the BMW logo and into the relay. From the relay the wire to the switch runs across the steering head area then up to the left handlebar.

No coincidence. I can ride all day, and did, with no issues whatsoever as long as I don't turn on the HID Driving lights.
  5. rebelpacket

rebelpacket four-stroke earth-saw Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm guessing its the Ballast in the HID lights that are throwing out some funky electromagnetic waves.

I have an HID headlight on my 1150GS, and occasionally when I turn it on, it'll "freeze" the RID unit. I'm guessing with two mega-hid lights on there, its throwing all sorts of stuff out.

There was a thread awhile back about this, as I recall someone improved the sheidling around the ballast unit with some tin foil and zip-ties.
  6. Stegerman

Stegerman MotoOCD sufferer

Oddometer:
    This.. I have an 1150GS with HID and where the ballast is located shuts my RID down about once a year. I have to pull the fuse and all is well. Yes I now have moved the ballast.
  7. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid!

Oddometer:
    OK, sounds very much like you have the trigger wire and the hot wire backwards on the relay!

[​IMG]

8. Anorak

Anorak Woolf Barnato Supporter

Oddometer:
    It doesn't look like the H7 relay trigger can be hooked up incorrectly in the way you propose.
    link
  9. GapRunr

Oddometer:
    Nope, they are correct. If they were reversed the relay would always be closed since it is would be wired directly to the battery, but I can clearly hear it click when I press the switch. I'm using the PIAA wiring harness. There are three leads coming off the wiring harness. Ground, fused power, and a thin white trigger wire. Kind of hard to mix up really.
  10. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid!

Oddometer:
    No problem, it is a common mistake, so I thought I would mention it.

11. GapRunr

Oddometer:
    I just took apart the lights and wrapped the ballasts in tin foil to shield them.

No effect.

Hmmmm....

EDIT: Actually, it made it worse. I almost always get the Brake Failure light as soon as I turn on the HID's.
  12. rebelpacket

rebelpacket four-stroke earth-saw Supporter

Oddometer:
    Is there any place away from instrumentation that you could re-locate the ballast for the lights?
  13. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid!

Oddometer:
    Try using a Faraday Cage, gorunded to the bike.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faraday_cage

But really, if that is the issue, distance is your friend. I have never seen a bike react to HID ballasts like that, but you never know.

14. GapRunr

Oddometer:
    Not really. The ballast is internal to the light.

Attached Files:

15. GapRunr

Oddometer:

I'm with you on this. Either I have a bad ballast in one of these lights, or there is something else interfering or conflicting with the wiring, etc. I've seen other GS's with these lights mounted on the same mounts in the same locations.

I'm headed to a dealer show this weekend but when I get back I am going to try a different set of non HID lights with all the same wiring, just so I can narrow down the issue.

Thanks for your help.
  16. GoFar

GoFar My butt hurts.

Oddometer:
    I read your original post, and just brain farted that the ballast were internal. Sorry! Scratch my last ideas...they simply aren't applicable.

Ok...this is a weird one because the ballasts SHOULD BE plenty far enough away.

This is certainly a CANBUS issue. I'm not well read on the system, but I DO know that often times folks who do the HID refit on the stock lights often times have to put a filter inline and available from the HID suppliers.

Again, talking out of my ass...but that may be your answer. My guess at this point is that the interference you're getting is through the wiring itself and RF (although certainly not completely eliminated)

FWIW...the most I know about electrical systems is that you never want the smoke to get out...it's a bitch to capture and get back in! :lol3

Seriously though, research the filters used on the OEM replacement systems. Maybe Jim or someone can weigh in on that idea.
  17. Sleepy John

Sleepy John Grumpy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Try disconnecting each spot in turn to see if the fault is caused by an individual light ballast.
  18. GapRunr

Oddometer:
    I removed the HID lights and installed an old set of PIAA 910's running 55 watt bulbs that I've had for a while, using all the same wiring. So far I have not gotten the Brake Failure light. I'm thinking there is some sort of electrical interference with these HID lights. I'm going to VT for the weekend, from TN, so I will be offline from Thursday night to Monday night.

I'll check back in when I return.