F800GS 600 Mile Service Questions

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by Dr. Zaius, Sep 15, 2008.

1. Dr. Zaius

Dr. Zaius It's a mad house

Oddometer:
    I am going into my 600 mile service this week, and have only one question / issue for the dealer. Has anyone else had the service done yet, and if so what questions did you have and what were some of the things the dealer found upon inspection of the 600 mile service?

My only issue from my first 600 miles (actually rode about 1200 miles):
    • A knocking sound (kind of a hollow sound through the bars) over choppy bumps (and speed bumps in a parking lot). Might be something loose?? Or, maybe it is just a normal sound when the bike is going over rough terrain?? Feels like it is in the steering stem somewhere??
    • Still some brake noise from the front Brembos...no loud squiking...but some noise. Could just be normal.
    • A couple of times when I was down shifting fast from 5th to 1, with the clutch pulled all the way in, heading to a stop light/sign, the the OBC readout did not tell me what gear I was in, and the bike felt as if it were in no gear (nuetral) however the N was not on the read-out. Could just be me switching gears too fast...however I thought I would ask.
    Other than that...no mechanical problems.
    If anyone knows of something else to address or ask about, I am all :ear .
  2. levity

levity nano-Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Found the info below on the UKGSer site and did most myself @ 640 miles yesterday.
    Will ask dealer to run the computer checks.

Dealer
    Reading fault memory with BMW Motorrad diagnostic system
    Confirming BMW Service in on-board documentation
    Setting service-due date and service countdown distance

Owner
    Engine-oil change, with filter
    Checking coolant level
    Check/adjust clutch play
    Checking chain tension
    Checking spoke tension, adjusting if necessary
    Checking tyre pressures
    Checking lights and signalling equipment
    Function test, engine start suppression
    Final inspection and check of roadworthiness

--------------

Rotax rocks - the oil was clear and clean, and there was a minimal amount of sludge on the drain plug magnet.

Spokes required only slight tightening (~1/16 turn).

Lubed chain, tension was fine.

Re-checked all fasteners (previously applied lock-tite to headlight mount screws & tightened rear sprocket bolts).

[​IMG]
  3. ]I)Money

]I)Money D NOT I Supporter

Oddometer:
    As long as it's NOT your steering head being loose (throw it on the centerstand and check), then it's probably just your pads rattling.
    I would say, don't downshift from 5- 1 without engaging it at least temporarily. Mine definitely doesn't like it.:deal (neither did my 1200)
  4. vasculopath

vasculopath You are not your bike Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have this as well. Nothing feels loose, but it sure sounds it. Curious. Doesn't feel like head bearings though.
  5. skyfish

skyfish Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I believe what both vasculopath and Dr. Zaius are hearing may be the center stand bouncing a bit underneath the bike crossing large bumps. I had this problem on my R1200GS, and it took me months to figure out where the noise, (distinct clunk felt more than heard), was coming from.
  6. jeffchri

jeffchri Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I get a bit of odd thumping from up there just when pumping the front forks hard. Engage the front brakes and pump the suspension hard, see if you can repro the sound. Dunno what it is.
  7. jeffchri

jeffchri Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hmm ... my dealer said that they had to do valves at 600. Granted, they don't have much experience servicing these guys, but he sure sounded sure of himself. Then again, this is from a dealer whose service department I *loathe* ...

Can't wait for the dang service manual CD to arrive!
  8. FarmerRick

FarmerRick Long timer

Oddometer:
    Unless valves are checked hot?... I was told this is a 30 minute service.
  9. Dr. Zaius

Oddometer:
    My dealer asked for my bike for the day. They must also be checking the valves...or they are the worlds slowest oil changers?

As for the front end sound...it sounds / feels as if the springs in the front shocks extend out so fast (over tight bumps) it actually makes a noise before the front tire has time to get more weight on it. I actually thought about the kickstand or center stand making noise...however this really feels like it is in the bars up front somewhere. It doesn't effect the performance at all...however I just want to make sure nothing is loose.

I am also going to make sure I have the latest software loaded: CPI 12.0 is what I understand to be the software to eliminate any stalling problems (I have not had any of these so far...however better safe than sorry).
  10. JRWooden

JRWooden never attribute to malice...

Oddometer:
    my "understanding" was that valve adjustment was NOT part of 600 mile service... and I would think it is done cold but don't know... My 600 mile maint. gets done Friday so I'm not clear on this...
    Who's got a copy of the maint. CD that can check that???

Glad the drain plug has a magnet (too bad there is not a "magnet" for aluminum eh? :huh)

From what I know, I think the only think missing from the list of actions is to "wander around the bike with a torque wrench" to check torque on critical fasteners.

I believe the latest level of the engine code is CIP 11.2 (not 12.0) but I could be wrong ... again.

Jim
  11. JohnTM

JohnTM Who's my daddy? Supporter

Oddometer:
    Valve CHECK is done the first time at 12,000 miles, and must be done on a COLD engine. If your dealer is saying that it gets done at 600, run away!

The boxer engines all get a valve check and adjust at the 600 mile service (must also be done cold), but they are a totally different type of valve train. The rotax engine uses a shim and bucket under the overhead cam instead of a rocker arm with tappet adjusters like the boxer. Also more difficult to check and much more work to adjust.
  12. MoToad

MoToad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have seen several reports of the steering head becoming loose in the first 600 miles. It's not unheard of. Make sure they check it.
  13. JRWooden

Oddometer:
    Thanks I have a snap-on tool for doing the valve shims on my Toyota OHC ... I wonder if it would work on the BMW ... of course there's still the question of getting the correct replacement shims ...... :huh

We pass around a box of them on the Toyota forum group... :D

Jim
  14. Dr. Zaius

Oddometer:
    Just got it back from the 600 mile service. No valve check. It was a 2 hour event. Changed the oil...checked the computer...pretty basic stuff. The front end noise appears to be nothing. Everything was tight. Very quick. Very easy. Now...onto riding some more!
  15. Bicyclist

Bicyclist Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    And what was the cost so the rest of us have an idea what to expect?
  16. Slappy McGee

Slappy McGee Fatty Fat

Oddometer:
    Two questions on self-servicing:

1) Does that GS-911 tool allow you to reset the service reminders?
    2) Anyone know where to get the service manual for the F800GS? Any sites assembling a FAQ like chain gang has for the F650?
  17. Dr. Zaius

Oddometer:
    Mine was about $84. I thought that was a bargain...I guess I was prepared for the worst.
  18. JRWooden

Oddometer:
    I agree ... back out the cost of the oil and filter and that means less than $40/hour shop time? Very low... two dealers have suggested that the bill will be about $400 .... but maybe they just wanted to see what kind of face I'd make as new BMW owner :eek1

Jim
  19. JRWooden

Oddometer:
    on #1 - according to their website the answer is yes

on #2 I have not seen a maintenance FAQ yet set up like chain gang, but lots of good stuff is over on F800Riders.org "Hall of wisdom"...

Here is the cheapest price I have seen on the manual:

http://www.sierrabmwonline.com/motorcycles-repair-manual-select-models-p-832.html

Jim
  20. maxxrevrider

maxxrevrider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My noise seems to be the brake lines smacking the plastic up front by the horn?