2013 mexican 1000 ktm 640 adv build

Discussion in 'Racing' started by Maineroot, Sep 7, 2012.

1. Baja Dad

Baja Dad Long timer

Oddometer:

Use a GPR !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    bolts on in about 20 min time
    Works better !!!

Support those who support the racers !!!
  2. Maineroot

Maineroot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I like gpr stuff.

Problem is that I have a Scott's damper already.

It might be cheaper to go the GPR route instead of having to buy a mount kit and triple clamp for the Scott's

QUOTE=Baja Dad;19560972]Use a GPR !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    bolts on in about 20 min time
    Works better !!!

Support those who support the racers !!![/QUOTE]
  3. 640 Armageddon

640 Armageddon Xplorer Supporter

Oddometer:
    The water pump service is good to do because you will be sure that everything is new there ... There is an oil seal to keep the oil apart from the water so if it fails it is a major prob ... :deal ... Mine after 6o.ooo kms did not give up but it had markings on its shaft so before a major race I changed everything just to make sure ... It is not expensive to do anyways...
  4. LukasM

LukasM Long timer

Oddometer:
    On a RTW ride - currently touring the U.S.
    Stenhouse Racing makes exactly the part that you need, the owner is an inmate here and a great guy as well:

http://stenhouseracing.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=5_4&products_id=6

Good luck with the race!
  5. Maineroot

Oddometer:
    Here is another pic of the bike.

Seat is getting sent off to SEAT CONCEPTS for the royal treatment. Suede top and a pocket in the front for the rally card.

Attached Files:

6. Gregg Wannabe

Gregg Wannabe Just killing time

Oddometer:
    Congrats on your decision, I'll see 'ya there. I'll be on my 570 'berg.
  7. Aussie Steve

Aussie Steve Long timer

Oddometer:

Another better option which protects petcocks.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=182094

Will help with this but the rally tank is a better idea to stop it.

[​IMG]
  8. 640 Armageddon

Oddometer:
    The bash plates are much more expensive... Pete640 from Australia may be able to do a Carbon Fiber plate (he made a beautiful one for his own 640 ) and that would be cheaper than the aluminium one.

Chris's protectors have save me more than one times and they cost less than 100 pounds if I remember correctly ...

This was an aramid protector (Kevlar) and here is the link to the original post with a video of the accident :huh
    http://advrider.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=267330&stc=1&d=1306428151

[​IMG]
  9. Region Riley

Region Riley rally kit widow

Oddometer:
    :lurk
  10. Baja Dad

Baja Dad Long timer

Oddometer:
    I will be having a few built for buddies The Dakar style Bash Plates with Tool box and with or with out Warter Container
    Like the one below.
    I should have a cost by next week.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Parx400 likes this.
  11. 640 Armageddon

Oddometer:
    That's nice Baja Dad !!

Quick question because I also need to short out the tail for the 640. The latest tail (the one on the photo) does it allow you to run rear raly lights? I mean, I have not seen anything in that tail before. Were the previous tail (the flat one) you can keep the KTM light and add a couple of rear rally style lights. I think the conversion is the rear fender and the side plastics so it should not be very expensive to do it ...

Ideas ? :ear
  12. CodyY

CodyY ADVenture Capitalist

Oddometer:
    Please tell me you didn't haul that bike on the center stand like that?

FWIW: Regular KTM IMS pro-series pegs work great on the 640 if you get the SMC aluminum footpeg mount. Fastways do not fit the left side.
  13. Maineroot

Oddometer:
    I had the bike delivered by a carrier through YouSend It. It seemed an odd way to haul a bike. BUT- Bike was delivered to me in perfect shape. Center stand is going to be a boat anchor in about 2 days anyhow.

I run Fastways footpegs- too bad they will not fit.

I'll check out the SMC footpeg mount. Thanks for the info.

14. Baja Dad

Baja Dad Long timer

Oddometer:
    IMS pegs fit nothing needed

I have them om both of my 07 640adv

You can get Fastway pegs to fit also !!
    I have done it.
  15. Baja Dad

Baja Dad Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have A older style Sub frame that you are looking for.
    maybe we can work out a trade?????

I also have a extra new style Rear fender and side panels if that is the way you want to go.
    I added a Dust light to my rear rack and keep my 07 rear fender and tail light.
  16. cross-country

cross-country .

Oddometer:
    You could mod your subframe (easy) to fit the SMC fender that uses a 950 taillight. It would also be a pretty easy mod to make your subframe fit the old style plastic. I don't think your seat would fit correctly afterward, however.
  17. crankshaft

crankshaft Guns are for pussies

Oddometer:
    Just as an FYI, the MX1k rules don't allow LED tail lights.
  18. Baja Dad

Baja Dad Long timer

Oddometer:

That is TRUE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  19. Maineroot

Oddometer:
    The next step is to pull the forks and shock and put in springs to try and make this rig work.

I'm 200#, probably 230# with rally gear.

Here is what I am going to run:

.50 fork and 8.4 shock

If this setup does not work...

I'm thinking of Frankenstein-ing on a set of forks off of one of the other bikes we run. I heard that they will fit the triple clamps, offer 2" more travel, and I can run the standard motocross wheelsets that I have for my other bikes.

I just need to find a proper donor bike for the forks. We are running KTM 200,250 and 300cc 2 strokes. We also have a 2008 KTM 250 XCF 4 stroke to pick off of. Going to check the compatibility tonight.
  20. Maineroot

Oddometer:
    Here are a couple of pics of the FCR 41 carb. Note the clearance on the header pipe. Important to buy the correct version of the FCR 41- or else there will be clearance issues.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

FCR 41's have different intake housings, as well as different Accelerator Pump layouts (the wrong kind hit the header exhaust pipe). The trick is to make sure you get those two points correct- or it won't physically fit.

Wiggling it into position is a pain in the ......! but the stock boots will work. I had to loosen the bolts on the airbox in order to give some more wiggle.

Finally got it in, and I am working on getting the jetting correct.

Some notes

1. MAKE SURE that you get the longer cables with it, as well as the throttle tube off the donor bike. That way you know everything is compatible and you are not screwing around trying to fit cables to the stock throttle tube like I had to. I had to modify the longer cables that came with my carb to fit the stock throttle tube.
    The cable ends were too wide, and hung up on the inside of the throttle tube.

2. Also- install a flexible fuel screw adjustment thingey. It's a tight fit to make adjustments. You will need to adjust the fuel screw at the bottom of the carb in order to get the bike to run correctly.

3. Check your Accelerator Pump functionality- you want it to be aimed correctly into the carb, as well as have the correct spray duration (1 sec). DO THIS BEFORE BOLTING IT. YOU CAN CHECK THIS ON YOUR BENCH.
    I did not. But was able to stuff my iPhone into the airbox and film the squirt angle and timing.