Broken air cleaner housing mount

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by mapuda, Nov 15, 2012.

1. mapuda

mapuda Crash Tested Supporter

Oddometer:
    I removed the air box to check the valves and noticed that the front left tab that mounts the air box to the frame had been broken off. Too much bouncing over Colorado passes at RMAR 2012 I suspect.

Does anyone know what kind of plastic the air box is constructed of? I think it is ABS but not sure. I want to use this kit to repair it but it won't work with certain types of plastic. "Does NOT work on olefin plastics like polyethylene, polypropylene, TPO, and TEO."

http://www.urethanesupply.com/PlastiFix-Kits-1/PlastiFix-Kit-Black/

Not really in the mood to buy new housing

<table cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr style="font-family: Arial; font-size: 11px; font-weight: bold; background-color: #666; color: #fff;"><td style="width: 17px; border-top: solid 1px #666; border-bottom: solid 1px #666; border-right: solid 1px #666;" align="center">#</td><td style="width: 85px; border: solid 1px #666;" align="center">Part Number</td><td style="width: 265px; border: solid 1px #666;" align="left"> Description</td><td style="width: 30px; border: solid 1px #666; cursor: help;" title="Weight in Pounds" align="center">lb</td><td style="width: 35px; border: solid 1px #666; cursor: help;" title="This is the recomended quantity. Price is for each one. Once you click on BUY, you will be able to specify how many items you want to add to your cart. 'X' means as necessary (could also be length in meters)." align="center">Qty[​IMG]</td><td style="border: solid 1px #666;" align="center">Each</td></tr><tr style="vertical-align: middle; font-family: Arial; font-size: 11px; background-color: #fff;"><td style="width: 17px; border-bottom: solid 1px #666;" align="center">01</td><td style="width: 85px; border-left: 1px solid rgb(221, 221, 221); border-bottom: 1px solid rgb(102, 102, 102);" align="left"> 13 71 7 679 333</td><td style="width: 265px; border-left: solid 1px #ddd; border-bottom: solid 1px #666; font-family: Arial Narrow;" align="left"> AIR CLEANER HOUSING</td><td style="width: 30px; border-left: solid 1px #ddd; border-bottom: solid 1px #666;" align="right">4.18 </td><td style="width: 35px; border-left: solid 1px #ddd; border-bottom: solid 1px #666;" align="right">1 </td><td style="border-left: solid 1px #ddd; border-bottom: solid 1px #666; width: 70px;" align="right">$202.55
    </td></tr></tbody></table>
  2. ragtoplvr

ragtoplvr Long timer

Oddometer:
    most plastic nowadays has a recycle symbol on it that tells the plastic family. Here is an interesting linky. (you have to scroll down a bit to find the plastics)

http://www.earthodyssey.com/symbols.html

So see if you can find the symbol.

Rod
  3. sorebutt

sorebutt Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've fixed similar tabs with a multiple type plastic glue and then overlay it with fiberglass. The fiberglass really strengthens it.
  4. mapuda

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the link Rod. I spoke with the service manager at my dealer and he believes that it is ABS.

I will order the kit and make the repair and see how it works.
  5. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    I believe we spoke at the RMAR 2012.....:D. If your fix don't go right..... Let us know, and we can have a look as of how to fix it with composites.....:freaky
  6. mapuda

Oddometer:
    Thanks Erling,

We did speak in front of Woody's tent. Thanks for the offer, it would give me a good excuse to ride to New Mexico!

Mike
  7. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yessir ..... My fellow fearless rider. I am certain we also can accomplish this with a how to fix it thread......without you ventureing all down the MX border.:D