SL350 muffler options

Discussion in 'Old's Cool' started by LashLarue, Apr 19, 2010.

1. LashLarue

LashLarue Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    NOS mufflers for old SL350s are extremely rare and when they finally sell on eBay, I have seen them over $1200. Can't do that.

My K1 can't pass inspection this year cause of a hole. Last year I had a muffler shop weld it. That lasted about long enough for last years inspection.

Any ideas? I can't seem to find any aftermarkets that are black and have the upswept angles. Most are short, loud and chrome.
  2. Speed King

Speed King Long timer

Oddometer:
    You could try this guy: http://www.marblesmotors.com/. There are some reproductions, also very expensive. I bought a used set from him for a KO. There is not a lot of options. You could always refinish some chrome aftermarket mufflers in black.
  3. LashLarue

Oddometer:
    That link says they are no longer selling the repros. When they did, it was $1000 - really out of my league for a daily rider.

I am thinking about some kind of tin can/JB weld patch. What I really want is an inspection sticker.
  4. Ron Bullard

Ron Bullard Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That may be your best bet. When I still had my SL (sans original mufflers), I searched high and low for options. Decent original mufflers are scarce, and often command high $$$ for what they are.
  5. young&agile!

young&agile! n00b

Oddometer:
    First time post here :O. Anywho I have my Grandpa's 1973 sl350 and the mufflers were in terrible shape. We kept trying to fiberglass patch them, muffler patch, anything you can think of :norton.

Anyways I ended up having my cousin braze the small holes, and put pieces of tin over the bigger holes and braze the tin on. I have a few hundred miles on it since then. It is still holding so maybe if you could find a good weld/brazer you could get them fixed.

I had the same trouble as you though...couldn't afford and or find replacement mufflers. So I was running straight headers for a while and cracked the header from the vibration since nothing holds it other than the muffler. Well sorry I couldn't be much more help than that but good luck :freaky
  6. Fire Escape

Fire Escape Long timer

Oddometer:
    I just went out and looked to see if there were any useful markings on my SL 350 K2. Sorry to say that I didn't find anything. A previous owner appears to have taken some short reverse cones and had a piece of tubing bent and welded to the inlets to closely match the original configuration. They are louder than I would prefer but not awful, were originally chromed but painted black. If I was sure they were "keepers" (just found the bike before snow, haven't done anything or even ridden yet), I would probably have them stripped and powder coated.

Bruce
  7. LashLarue

Oddometer:
    Bump.

Anyone install a JC Whitney? I am still unable to ride my sl350 due to holes in the left exhaust. At this point I would settle for something chrome and even something louder.

Thanks
  8. NewBoots

NewBoots Adventurer

Oddometer:
    :evilGet a couple sportster mufflers at your Harley Shop. There cheap, if not free. Put a bend up pipe in front. Paint black. They will look and sound good.
    Bucky:wink:
  9. Brad Felmey

Brad Felmey Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yep.
  10. LashLarue

Oddometer:
    I looked at some on ePay and it looks like they have no support bracket like my sl does.
  11. YamaGeek

YamaGeek Skeletor sparklemuffin.

Oddometer:
    Sure, why not, :puke1 I'd pay Harley prices for mufflers equivalent to what you can get at a small engine shop.......

.....Not!......
  12. LashLarue

Oddometer:
    They are dirt cheap on ePay. New ones for $30 + shipping. Some much cheaper than that. Must be that these get tossed EVERY time they sell a new Harley. If that is the case, I will be more than happy to recycle and use the snot outta them.
  13. MayerMR

MayerMR Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  14. FatTirePlease

FatTirePlease Still rollin'

Oddometer:
    Inspection? What is this 'inspection' thing you speak of? Must be Californy.:huh
  15. brucifer

brucifer Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nope. Never heard of it here. Back east maybe?
  16. LashLarue

Oddometer:
    Texas, the guy I use checks for exhaust leaks and failed my Sl350 last year. I had a local welder close the rust holes enough to pass last year but it is even worse this year.
  17. LashLarue

Oddometer:
  18. FatTirePlease

FatTirePlease Still rollin'

Oddometer:
    WOW!!! That's a surprise. Just when I am thinkin of movin to Austin! Put a great big checkmark on the negative side of the ledger for that one!!!!!:huh
  19. LashLarue

Oddometer:
    I am still riding without an inspection sticker with the old pipes. Not a lot but sometimes for up to 50 miles. No tickets but I know I can't do that forever.

After failing at winning eBay auctions for almost a year, I finally won a nice set of Harley pipes. They look good but are long and quite heavy, I don't know whether to but an extension to get the angle of the stock pipes or to leave it straight and mount them low.

I looked again at the eBay auction from a previous post and it gets no link. The reviews on JC Whitney EMGO short pipes aer that they are loud. Not the kind of quiet, slow off road riding that I want.

Any updates from new SL riders? How have you solved your pipe problems (besides buying those repos for $1500)?
  20. Sniper X

Sniper X De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer:
    Central New Mexico, 7420ft above sea level
    Buy my set of 1969 CL350 pipes and stick them on it as it'll look ULTRA COOL!