Garmin 2720 keeps asking for calibration

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by chambersc, Mar 6, 2014.

1. chambersc

chambersc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So I have a Garmin 2720 that I've had a few years that replaced a Garmin V before that. Been a great unit, though I was never crazy about the power cable connection. I had a hard wire on the last bike for it and the car adapter for the car. Sold the last bike, and my car adapter "prongs" were getting weak and not making good contact. I used to have stuff a piece of paper or something thin in there to get it to make good contact. One thing I never really liked is that it had no battery option, it has to be plugged in to 12V power. I miss that about the V. (which I still have on the WR250 and it still works like a champ)

So I finally broke down and bought a brand new Garmin power cable for the car. I haven't put a hardwire connection on the BMW yet but its in the plan. Anyway, as soon as I do it asks for me to do the screen recalibration.

Fair enough, its been months since its been used. I had a bit of trouble doing it and it took me several tries as it didnt always want to recognize my touch. I was blaming the bitter cold and poor circulation.

Now, it keeps doing it over and over. I shut the car off, turn it back on, and when the GPS comes back on its asking me to go through all of that again. Ive done it four times now and it just keeps happening.

Any ideas? Anyone seen this before? It was working great before and then it sat in my toolbox drawer in a cold garage for months until I got a new power cord for the car. Now this crap.

Thoughts? I'm all ears.
  2. TRZ Charlie

TRZ Charlie That's MR. Asshole

Oddometer:
    Google is your friend. I googled your problem and this is what I came up with. I hope that helps you.

If the touchscreen on a StreetPilot 2700, 2800, or 7000 series is off or not responding or acting strange, it may need to be calibrated. To calibrate the touchscreen, please follow these steps:

1) Touch Settings from the main menu
    2) Touch Screen
    3) Touch Calibrate Touch Screen
    4) Touch the Screen
    5) Touch the Dot on the screen and follow the dots as they move
    - A stylus or pencil eraser may be used to accurately touch the dots

Once you have completed the calibration of the touchscreen your unit will be ready to use. If the touchscreen is not responding, you may use the alphanumeric remote that came with your device to navigate through the menus.
  3. chambersc

Oddometer:
    Much appreciated, and Google and I are well acquainted.

The issue is not how to do the calibrating, its the fact that its not holding it. Shut it down and it does it again the next time you turn it on.
  4. TRZ Charlie

Oddometer:
    I have short term memory loss too. Googling didn't help me. Seriously, that is a weird problem.
  5. chambersc

Oddometer:
    Understood. I think as the winter drags on and my riding time is nothing I get dumber every day. If it doesn't warm up soon I'm going to be a drooling vegetable in no time.

It is odd and it may be that I just have to take advantage of Garmin's $100 refurb program and send it in. I think I'm going to try to dig up the computer cables tonight, plug it into the laptop, see if I can do any kind of firmware update on it, and see what it does. Once I do the calibration it works fine. Shut it down and we start over.

I'm too cheap to give up and replace it just yet though. I think I was the last mohican actively using a Gamin V when I finally bought this one. (used)
  6. chambersc

Oddometer:
    By the way, your MapSource info is outstanding. Thanks for taking the time to post that. I think I use about 10% of what my GPS and map source are really capable of.
  7. TRZ Charlie

Oddometer:
    My pleasure, it is dated now since BaseCamp came out. But for die hards it still works.
  8. 9Dave

9Dave Bazinga!

Oddometer:
    I think there is a thread from years ago that dealt with this.

Try a google search of ADV.

IIRC it was the touch screen going bad.
  9. chambersc

Oddometer:
    Found it. This must be the one you're talking about? And it appears that my info was old and Garmin is no longer rebuilding them. You can get replacement screens if you have to on eBay for $26. I may take it apart, see if a cleaning will fix it, and if not, order a screen.

A kid in college, a kid in middle school, a mortgage, and a bride's car payment means no new GPS for dad. Time to be vigilant and fix the one I have. (And really, its more fun that way. Teaches the 13 year old that we don't have to dispose of everything that acts up.)

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=677552