DR650 Pelican Storm IM2600/SW-Motech, Safari Tank, Spitfire

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Northyork, Apr 3, 2010.

1. Northyork

Northyork Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have finally finish dressing my DR650. She is now ready for anything and everything.
    This season my lover got showered with presents from me ....:rofl A big, humongous Safari tank, SW-Motech side racks and Pelican Storm IM2600, same size as the Pelican 1550 but a couple of pounds lighter. She also got a Spitfire windscreen.
    Since the saying goes "a picture is worth 1000 words" I am going to let the pictures speak for themselves.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

She is now 35" wide
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

I did not get the adapter kit for the pelican storm cases, instead I bolted the pelilcan storms to the side rack.
    [​IMG][​IMG]
  2. DisTech

DisTech Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nice! :thumb

Do you have a journey planned that will take advantage of the supertanker?
  3. BlackBeast

BlackBeast Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Bike looks amazing. Now go out and get it dirty!:norton
  4. Adv Grifter

Adv Grifter on the road o'dreams

Oddometer:
    Not everything.
    I would not go off road without Bark Busters and AMP case guards. I punched a hole in left side case in just a minor tip over. Without Bark Busters you can easily break levers and even the brake master cylinder in a crash.
    Next: Stock tail light will quickly separate and fill with water. Best get the DR250 tail light. It lays flat, more protected, no leaks or separations.

Just curious, have you weighed all the hard ware, Pelicans, racks and such?
    Total weight? :ear

My GIVI E41 hard bag set up with mounting racks and all nuts and bolts weighed in at about 35 lbs. (16 kgs.) My soft bag set up weighs just 8 lbs. (3.6 kgs.) (including racks and hardware)
  5. Northyork

Oddometer:
    I have lots of ideas playing in my head......... time will tell. Anyhow, I am enjoying not having to go to the gas-station 4 to 5 times per weekend
  6. Northyork

Oddometer:
    I have ordered the full set of engine guards from Perry, http://www.motorcycleproducts.org/Engine_Guards/DR650SE_Guards/DR650SE.htm, hopefully they will arrive this coming week. Have a tube of silicone waiting for them :)
    Never thought about Bark Busters, thank you for mentioning them. Did not know about the issues with the tail light....... I thought that most people were doing the change just for aesthetics.
    I have gone out to the garage and weighted the Pelicans Storm IM2600 with the racks attached to them they came to 12.2Kg, I am going to guess here.... the hardware parts that stay in the bike are probably another 1Kg? 1.5Kg?
    I also got the liner bags, Givi T468, 800g each

So, the total added weight should be 12.2Kg +1.5Kg=13.7Kg (30.2lb)
    If you were to add the Liner bags it will total 15.3Kg (33.7lb)

The way I see it, it is not fare to compare hard luggage to soft ones they are just in two different categories.

Just for the record, I weight around 210lb and the bike has a 8.1Kg Eibach
    spring in the back and 0.5kg fork springs with a 2 1/2" spacers.

7. Bear Rider

Bear Rider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm in the midst of mounting an iM2720 as a top case. If I can fabricate the mount that I have mocked up, I will be able to remove the case for use as a table in the field or as luggage when staying in a motel.
  8. Adv Grifter

Oddometer:
    If you're not planning any off road then no worries, you'll be fine as is. I like the Pelicans (I carry camera and audio equip. in them!) but for longer off road travel I prefer soft bags. But hard bags are fine too. Did you know if you break a Pelican ... they give you a free one? :clap

You got the right spring on there. Bike should work great everywhere even fully loaded. Bark Busters even make sense on the street. Mostly they save levers. But don't forget why they were originally invented : Hand protection. I've hit some nastly stuff with no injuries due to bark busters. (this on dirt bikes)
    Even in a fall, just hang on and slide along the ground. Your hands are protected ... I've done it.

You will like the AMP case guards. I have only the left side one but it's save my bike a couple times already. I'm getting the filter guard and case guard next. In your case it looks like the Safari tank will take a bit of a hit. I hope they are strong. The IMS is surprisingly strong, even though it looks like crap.

Good luck, have a great riding season! :rayof
  9. 996DL

996DL Dunning-Kruger PHD

Oddometer:
    Huh!... The cult classic, including the kitchen sink, a stainless steel bbq and a brick house... :eek1 :evil :lol3

A pretty tasty combo... :thumb

996DL
  10. D-Fuzz

D-Fuzz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Did you buy the Pelicans & racks from Dual Sport Plus? I have been thinking of the same set-up, sure helps to see them mounted on the bike.
  11. Northyork

Oddometer:
    Nope, I got them from http://www.aviciouscycle.ca/ . :freaky

12. vnp514

vnp514 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Agreed! You want to protect your side cases. I sometimes wish I would have bought the bigger tank for mine.

[​IMG]
  13. Northyork

Oddometer:
    Pelican's lifetime warranty. Are you sure it will still count even though we have drilled the cases?
    Thanks for sharing your knowledge.:freaky

14. Adv Grifter

Oddometer:
    Hmmm ... dunno. Mine were never drilled. Call them and ask? I've used Pelicans since 1983. I've broke two since. Both caused by rough handling by Airport baggage handlers. Broke hinge on one, cracked top on another. Both replaced without a word.
  15. Northyork

Oddometer:
    The engine guards are here. I did order them a week ago. Delivery was fast and they look great. The picture below will show all the pieces that came with the kit. From left to right Clutch guard, Ignition guard, Oil filter guard with screws and lock washers :rayof
    [​IMG]