the DR650 thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by sleepywombat, May 1, 2006.

1. Hesaid

Hesaid Long timer

Oddometer:
    0%?!

Bastards. They weren't doing that when I bought. Luckily a credit union we deal with at work was willing to do the deal with me pretty much setting my own terms. But not 0%. Damn.

MV
  2. Carl Childers

Carl Childers Ghost in the Machine

Oddometer:
    I'm going to be tearing my front forks apart to replace the seals and while I'm at it I'm thinking of adding a pair of intiminators. Question is should I be looking at changing the springs to? I'd like to make the forks the best they can be without replacing them all together, Anything else I should be looking at while I'm in there? I probably weigh in at 200 lbs. with all my riding gear on if that makes a difference with springs etc.
  3. Thumper Dan

Thumper Dan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I run the Oxford grips and find them quite good and no real dramas installing them.

I did originally run them through the "spare" wire near the headlight but with feedback from this forum, was advised to run it through a relay. I've never done a relay before so enjoyed the project of working out how to do it. Although I must say, I have a digital voltmeter on my bike and when running the heaters, it really makes no difference drawing on the battery when your underway. So, I don't think there is a terrible amount of drain on the system.

Now they've been wired up, they seem to work everytime and if you use them with products like hippo hands or even Oxford put out their own product, makes winter riding more enjoyable. :clap
  4. PPCLI-Jim

PPCLI-Jim Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    yes you should from what I have been hearing / feeling with all the rest of the riders , for the smallish cost now you can then safely add weight to it by farckling up the front and ride harder on worse conditions
  5. Adv Grifter

Adv Grifter on the road o'dreams

Oddometer:
    I agree, IMS tank.
  6. acesandeights

acesandeights Noob

Oddometer:
    Where and what conditions do you ride. Emulators might be a better choice, depending.
  7. amk

amk Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Find a test ride first. Chances are you won't like it, more or less DR is old fart's bike, and it is, by its design, older than you are.
    Chances are you like it, then find a used one, to buy new seems impractical. With tough environment protection acts carbed bikes will end, suzuki will either upgrade them soon or stop them altogether.
  8. procycle

procycle ~Retired~

Oddometer:
    If you want them 'the best they can be' install springs and Race Tech Cartridge Emulators. If you just want to make a big improvement with a small amount of work and expense go with the Imtiminators and keep stock springs. The intiminators are designed to work best with softer springs than would otherwise be recommended with traditional valving. You can always put stiffer springs in later if you think you need them.
  9. blk-betty

blk-betty bam-a-lam Supporter

Oddometer:
    Go Tigers, Beat LSU!

'88 Clemson Grad.

Now that the important stuff is out of the way, I went through the same decision process a little over a year ago and I think the new price at the time here in Charleston was around $5200 as well but don't know what financing was like. I found a completely stock '09 with about 5000 miles on it 2 hours away from here and paid $3800.

If time is not an issue and you have the ability to travel (couple hundred miles) you can probably find a 1-5 year old DR for $3500-4000. I then spent the difference between new and used price on a seat, windscreen, tires, handlebars, exhaust, carb jet, handguards, gas tank, luggage rack, skid plate, engine armor plates,....you get the point!

[​IMG]

If your plans are to leave it realtively stock, why not go new. But if your like the rest of us, buy used and save some money to set it up the way you want.
  10. Adv Grifter

Oddometer:
    I'm using the switched pair in the headlight cowl. Seems to work fine powering my heated grips. No fuse problems or any other probs in 5 years.
    Thin rubber grips are the way to ... thick ones insulate too well and block heat transfer. I can feel mine down to about 20F ... below that you hardly know they are on. I'm using the Dual Star heaters. Not bad.

If you look around you may find Snow Mobile grips with higher output ... but be careful not to MELT your throttle tube ... or switch to a metal throttle tube.
  11. Adv Grifter

Oddometer:
    Don't bolt them down so tightly ... allows more flex, less stress.
  12. canoli

canoli human

Oddometer:
    Done!

[​IMG]

That ought to do it. Thanks again for the help.

Canoli
  13. procycle

procycle ~Retired~

Oddometer:
    If ALL the parts are there (4 cushions, 2 collars and 2 bolts) it won't make any difference how tight the bolts are. The bolts tighten against the collars and the tank rides in the cushions. I suspect the collars are missing.
  14. TRAVELGUY

TRAVELGUY Old Traveler

Oddometer:
    I think your going to melt you fuel line with it touching the cylinder. Since your fuel tube rotated easily turn it clockwise to three o'clock position. That will keep the fuel line away from hot things. That is what I did with my DR/Safari combo.

TrvelGuy
  15. Carl Childers

Carl Childers Ghost in the Machine

Oddometer:
    Thanks all for your replies, your information will help me decide. I ride about 90% off road in high desert and mountain terrain even when I take trips I keep pavement to a bare minimum.
  16. canoli

canoli human

Oddometer:
    :thumb
  17. greener556

greener556 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've got a 320mm EBC rotor, is there any way I can cross reference the part number and find out everything it will fit on?

:scratch
  18. procycle

procycle ~Retired~

Oddometer:
    Sure, A google search with the part number should turn up the applications
  19. ER70S-2

ER70S-2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    205'd :freaky

Maybe EBC's website can help.

I can add this, the 320mm EBC from Procycle, fits my DR650 (duh).

SM6094C
    Part #: 1710138
    ROTOR EBC ST SM6094C

EU BARCODE 5 || 050953 || 315282 ||
    USA BARCODE 0 || 84794 || 30087 || 5
  20. RichBeBe

RichBeBe All Hail Seitan!!!

Oddometer:
    And likely won't until the end of February:rofl
    I rode today and will probably ride Sunday and Tuesday as well. :evil