OK, tell me I'm crazy....

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by Too Many Toys, Nov 28, 2012.

1. gumshoe4

gumshoe4 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Vespas are cool and the GTV300 is very cool. I have considered getting one, actually, but currently short on baksheesh...
  2. JerryH

JerryH Vintage scooter/motorcycle enthusiast Supporter

Oddometer:
    When it comes to trading motorcycles, nothing is crazy. I've made some stranger trades than that and rarely ever regretted it. I recently traded a Kawasaki Ninja for a Yamaha Zuma 125. I liked the Ninja a lot, but I have severe arthritis, and simply not tolerate the pain the Ninja's riding position caused. I love riding the Zuma. It's not fast, but it's super fun to ride. I have already bought some accessories for it and plan on more. While it is not fast, it can be ridden some serious distances,, and it can be ridden all day without getting too far away from home. It's a relaxed ride that requires a lot less effort than the Ninja.

As for the freeway, a Vespa GTV300 will do just fine, depending on the load. Most scooters of that type (traditional design, not maxi) don't do well on long rides with a passenger. But OTOH, I weigh 220, and the only bike I've ever felt ok with carrying a passenger on was a Goldwing.

As for the Chinese thing, I don't know of a single new bike that does not at least have Chinese parts on it. Many Japanese bikes are made in Taiwan and Thailand, most newer BMWs use Chinese parts, the new BMW scooters use a Kymco engine.
  3. Cortez

Cortez BAZINGA!

Oddometer:
    Um, wrong.
    Not this one.

And even if it was, it's no reason to dismiss it just based on that.
  4. Wentwest

Wentwest How's that work?

Oddometer:
    Since no one has responded to your posting title, let me be the first to tell you. You're crazy!

But then, so are the rest of us here. If we were sane we'd be riding around in Chevy Impala sedans.

I love the feeling a scooter gives. Super mobility, easy slides through traffic (at least in California, where we can lane split), cheap insurance, comfort, and on and on.

When I was a kid, made in Japan meant junk. Vehicles made in Italy? What a joke. Who would rely on a Fiat? There were remarkably terrible vehicles made in France and England in the 50's, and some real trash cars were produced right here in the good old USA in the 60's and early 70's. Some 80's Harleys are really poor products. So, today there are literally millions of scooters from China going to all parts of the world. Some crap, some good. The machines made in Taiwan are good quality, and most big name makers buy pretty much everything they can from China. There are more US sourced materials in a Honda Accord than in a big Ford sedan. http://www.cars.com/go/advice/Story.jsp?section=top&subject=ami&story=amMade0611

The point is, it's a big and complicated world. For every complicated problem, like choosing the country of origin of a product, there is a simple solution. And it's always wrong.

However, riding a scooter is not wrong.
  5. Dabears

Dabears Long Timer

Oddometer:
    No, you're not crazy, but as someone suggested, be sure you can both fit comfortably on the GTV before you do a deal. I tried putting my wife on a GTS 300 and the wide rear compartment made it very unpleasant for the passenger.

If I might make a suggestion, sit on the GTV then go sit on a Piaggio BV350. Granted, no classic styling, but does have some features like larger wheel and more HP that could make it better for you and your wife.

As far as getting rid of your motorcycle for a scooter I fully get your dilemma- I've got an R1200GS that mostly just sits on a Battery Tender while I tend to jump on my old Vespa for most of the normal stuff that I do. I haven't sold it, but it's because I'm having to come to grips with the realization that I'll probably never have another uber expensive awesome bike again.

I should get a small modern twist and go, and it would cover most of my needs. Maybe next year will be time to say goodbye to the beemer. Good luck with your decision!
  6. JerryH

JerryH Vintage scooter/motorcycle enthusiast Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have had as many as 12 bikes at the time, and am now down to half that many. I plan on selling a couple of those that don't get much use, and I want my next one to be a scooter big enough to be freeway legal/safe, AND climb mountains. I decided I just don't care for the maxi look, so I am probably looking for a Piaggio BV500 or a Kymco Exiting 500.
  7. klx250sfguy

klx250sfguy Long timer

Oddometer:
    You're not crazy. I have gone from bike to scooter to bike to scooter many times over the past 20 years. Whatever makes you happy, go for it.

My buddy has a BMW like yours and a Vespa GT300. Here's a pic of the Vespa.

[​IMG]

I like vintage myself.

Here is one of my rides, an '82 Passport.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And this is a barn find I picked up recently for $400. Runs beautifully. Aero 80.

[​IMG]

I love scoots and will always have at least one.
  8. Too Many Toys

Too Many Toys Adventure Poseur

Oddometer:
    Just off the Lincoln hiway in Ioway & Mesa, AZ
    Cooler head prevailed. I decided to ship the 800GS back to our Iowa home instead of taking a bath selling it. And put this in the Arizona stable....

[​IMG]
  9. gogogordy

gogogordy Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's a sales brochure-quality photo there TMT!
    Oh, and glad you solved your dilemma.
  10. Brooktown Geezer

Brooktown Geezer scooter guy

Oddometer:
    That's a beauty!
  11. cdwise

cdwise Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Congratulations, she's a lovely girl.