C5 Z06 v. E46 M3 v. E92 335i

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by kawalaser, Jun 29, 2013.

1. jdiaz

jdiaz .

Oddometer:
    I got an insurance quote for an E90 M3 sedan that was all of $16/year more than my GTI. And my GTI was dirt cheap to insure. :lol3
  2. Rogue_Ryder

Rogue_Ryder

Oddometer:
    Way more fun to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow.

Big HP is good for out west with lots of fast straight highways. North East where you're lucky to see 55 mph max speedlimit on a 2 lane back road, 300+ hp is a waste. Lugging around @ idle isn't my idea of fun.

When I was a teenager my 84 GTI was way more fun to rip around the back roads of New England, than a 3rd Z28 (and I think that had all of 200hp).

Of the 3 cars posted by the OP, I have no idea what the insurance premiums would be, and the debate of Z06 vs M3 is one I've had a few times. I think the Z06 eeks out the M3 in official numbers but I'd have to drive both to really decide which one I'd take. The BMW has the edge in fit n finish, and maybe more daily drive-ability.
  3. RocketJohn

RocketJohn Hook 'em Horns! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Fun autoX car? Miata

Of those three you mentioned, I'd buy an e46 M3
  4. Anorak

Anorak Woolf Barnato Supporter

Oddometer:
    The GTO and G8 were available with a six speed manual.
  5. troidus

troidus Long timer

Oddometer:
    This seems to be pretty quick:

<IFRAME height=315 src="//www.youtube.com/embed/FstXpvGzxZI?rel=0" frameBorder=0 width=420 allowfullscreen></IFRAME>

and sounds good, too. I wouldn't want to live with straight-cut gears in a DD, though.
  6. Wingnut037

Wingnut037 Humbly Legit

Oddometer:
    Most of the corvette bashing is by people talking about non c5 corvettes. Aside from the C6 there is no comparison. I daily drove a 2001 for 3 years and 50k miles, including a cross country trip with 0 issues and nearly 30mpg. If you are seriously considering auto-x, go to an event with your helmet and chat up the guys with what you are looking for. No doubt you will get a ride from one of them. There is a reason the C5Z is still a competitive car in SS. You will not regret it and have money left over. No need to do more than an intake and cat back anyways.

Oh, and tires were about $1200 for quality rubber. Take off r-comps with more than enough life in them can be had for $50-100.
  7. Arch

Arch Incurable Gearhead

Oddometer:
    Ditto. Hands down. OP, I was shopping a while back and ended up with a different brand of German car, but while on the hunt, these guys were very cooperative and descriptive about the spectacular E46 M3s they have on offer...
    Enthusiast Auto Group
  8. Nut Clutch

Nut Clutch was Steve Lavigne

Oddometer:
    That GTR didn't look so fast to the drivers of Corvette C5R racecars. Of course they were in completely different classes.

I'm far from a Corvette fanboy. I do however take issue with the Bmw marketing invention that 50/50 weight distibution is somehow "ideal" for a performance vehicle. If you need a German car and performance is your top priority, Porsche is the only choice.
  9. kawalaser

kawalaser Hip to be square

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the responses. The car is first and foremost going to be a daily driver. I'm not going to have a long commute. The fun part is not knowing where I'll be living. That is up to the needs of Uncle Sam. I'm hoping somewhere warm and desolate. It will most certainly not be New England.

I really need to test drive all three. Assuming the that you guys who've experienced rubbing with the Z06's are running stock height? The appeal of the Vette is not because I want to autocross it. I've never driven anything faster than my current 220hp E46 (not counting my VFR :evil) and so it's time in my life to have a fast car.

I really do appreciate the luxury and refinement of the BMWs. I checked out that link of the Enthusiast Auto Group (thanks Arch) -- really nice examples there but all seem about 5-10k above similar examples I'm seeing on the boards and (gasp) ebay. I understand it would take a lot of diligent searching to find a low mile, stock, well-maintained example but I'm pretty sure I could for less than 30-35k :eek1

Then there's the E92.....
  10. Arch

Arch Incurable Gearhead

Oddometer:
    For sure! They're out there at all sorts of price points. What's different about the ones at EA is how they're vetted for purchase to begin with, then updated, serviced and prepped for market afterward. Given their experience with the marque and willingness to go over all of the before and afters, I found their cars to be well valued when compared to the many others on the market from individuals. And I searched long and hard.

Besides all the work/updates (listed on their site) performed on each respective car they have for sale, if you ask for further info about a particular example, you're pointed to a Dropbox folder with even more documentation. More than you'd ever expect. The level of detail is over the top.

In the end I instead decided on a cream puff of a Cayman S from Tampa. When I passed that along to the fellow at EA (Evan) and thanked him for his efforts, he was very gracious. Really seems like a genuine enthusiast, if you'll pardon the pun. Geez, I'm starting to sound like I work for 'em. :lol3 Sorry! Just thought I'd pass along my findings and positive experience.

Have fun on the hunt! Hope ya end up as happy with your choice as I am with mine!
    :beer
  11. Sniper X

Sniper X De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer:
    Central New Mexico, 7420ft above sea level
    You don't want my input because it'll be biased, and illogical to the Nth. Buy an M3 D00d.
  12. kawalaser

Oddometer:
    So you're not recommending an e28 m5?? I'm surprised :lol3
  13. runpasthefence

runpasthefence Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My vote:

[​IMG]

I got one as a loaner a couple of years back; it's been on my mind since. Would make a perfect daily driver IMO.
  14. meatsack

meatsack Moto-idiot

Oddometer:

That is one sexy car. Do you have any more photos without the BMW in the way though? :rofl
  15. troidus

troidus Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you don't know where you'll end up, how can you know what your commute is going to be like? Wait until you know whether you can even have a car (without paying half a mil for a parking space) before buying one. If you get your "warm and desolate" option, it may be all rutted 2-track and sandy washes, in which case you'll be shopping for a high ground clearance 4x4, instead. Don't jump the gun.
  16. kawalaser

Oddometer:
    Great info, thanks! Will bookmark them in case my budget suddenly increases lol. Congrats on the Cayman S...very sweet ride. Feel like posting some token pictures?? :evil
  17. kawalaser

Oddometer:
    Fair point. I won't be purchasing for some time. I'm in that kind of nascent fantasy phase of the purchase process. Barring an overseas assignment, can't imagine I'm going to be precluded from having a car and roads on which to drive it. Also, is there a place on earth less hospitable for cars than NYC?? :rofl :evil

Rutted two track and sandy washes --- used Disco???
  18. troidus

troidus Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was thinking San Francisco. Imagine being assigned to The Presidio. You know you're not getting a parking spot there. At that point, might as well find a pad close to a BART station and bank the money you'd spend on wheels.
  19. kawalaser

Oddometer:
    Never been -- not familiar with the area. If San Fran, it'd be Travis for me. Would be living off-base. What's the parking situation there?
  20. Lobby

Lobby Viel Spass, Vato!

Oddometer:
    I remember when 300 hp was a lot.