Reaver's Ramblings - Toronto to LA on the GS Twins

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Reaver, Aug 22, 2013.

1. Reaver

Reaver Hasta luego

Oddometer:
    This will be my first attempt at a RR here. We normally do a FB album for our family then get a thousand comments like "Motorcycles are dangerous you know!" and a thousand questions like "Aren't you scared?" Here at least I'll be understood.

Mostly. :1drink

The route is not firm and is subject to whims, weather and quirks of Zumo. I'm hoping to meet up with a bunch from the Parallel Universe whom I've insulted and patronized for years now. I suspect that will get expensive.:freaky Basically, we're doing Toronto- upper US to Glacier NP - Calgary - Vancouver then down the PCH below LA then maybe Vegas and the Grand Canyon.

We're launching Saturday Aug 24 for three weeks. The first few days will be full on Interstate slabbin' just to get out of here! I want to avoid Tourist Traps and big cities. We want the views in front of us to be mountains, lakes and ocean, not concrete and storm drains with the wild life in gas powered cages.

Roughly speaking........

[​IMG]

"Her" Ride:

[​IMG]

An '09 F650GS Twin that's actually an 800. Don't ask.
    Mods include Hyperpro suspension, Touring windscreen, Wunderlich handguards, TT crash bars, Givi skid plate, grip puppies, Carbon Fibre centre panel and beak extension to break up the red, Comfort seat and Vario luggage including a 1200GS topcase that has been bolted down to prevent further unscheduled departures. This is her third GS. The last one was caged to death and now she has a titanium right wrist. This will be our first long trip since the accident and hopefully she can handle hours of vibrating bars.

Cockpit shot:

[​IMG]

I installed a Spark Brite voltage monitor LED you can see on the left. I really don't care what my voltage is to 3 decimal places nor do I wish to explain to her what numbers indicate a properly functioning system. Green is good. Red is bad. Fast flashing red is really bad. :thumb There are some inmates I know who would make a day of designing and fabricating an elabotate prototype mount for the LED, fitting it, modifying it, documenting it then painting it black. After a sucessful product he would then offer up the blueprints with a caveat that they won't print to proper proportion so don't blame him. I just put a glob of Auto sealant on it and taped it in place for the night. KISS!

Bec is an office working Executive type whereas I'm a licenced Jet Mech yet she INSISTED that she get a new chain before we left.

So I got her one:

[​IMG]

Hope it doesn't fall off the board while we're gone. :rofl
  2. Natnewt

Natnewt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Motorcycles are dangerous you know :evil
  3. Reaver

Reaver Hasta luego

Oddometer:
    My Ride:

[​IMG]

It's also an '09 that's undergone many transformations. This year it's black with aluminum cases. Farkles include what you can see as well as Hyperpro suspension and it's mapped for cheap gas. Do I really miss 2 HP? Nawww, I'm old and the world goes by fast enough as it is. :D

[​IMG]

Here's my pathetic 2L gas can. If only someone would develop an auxillary fuel tank of about 8L or so and put it somewhere hidden like maybe behind the RH pannier opposite the muffler. I bet people would be screaming "Shut up and take my Money!" Oh well, maybe when I get to Calgary I'll think of something better. :wink:

On this trip I'll be Team Leader, Chief Mechanic, Route Planner, Photographer, Logistics, Public Relations, Ride Reporter as well as the Comic Relief. Bec will be "On Vacation" with minor inputs regarding eating and sleeping decisions. Um yeah, who am I kidding? Anyone that travels with their girl will stop when she says so and will sleep where she says so. Why argue. Abstinance makes the heart grow fonder.

My value as Chief Mechanic is not fully appreciated cause as she says "Why bring all those tools and parts when we never break down?"

I don't care to extol the virtues of preventative maintenance at this time. I'm just a simple aircraft mechanic Jim.
  4. Reaver

Reaver Hasta luego

Oddometer:
    With our bikes and all the BMW gear it looks like we're BMW poseur snobs I realize. In reality it's all about opportunity. Having worked for Motorrad I was able to "acquire" much gear and accessories. Also in the Flea Market section and local classifieds you'll find many bargains. Dealers don't give extra for accessories so they get stripped and sold off locally before trade-in.

So yeah,, I apologize in advance for my snobbery!

Oh, and I have a Radio face so there won't be many pics of me. Maybe Blondie if I can get away with it. :evil And none of those damn "Breakfast" shots or "Look what I'm having for Dinner!" pics. Yuck.

Known Problems with the Twins:

The Devil I know.

These bikes aren't perfect since nothing mechanical is. Our '09's are an early model in the series and have known issues.

F800 rear wheel bearings - some have constricted bores which stress the bearings and cause premature failure. My bores are fine, bearings are cheap and get replaced sooner than needed.

Alternator failures - the stators run hot and get fried. Mine's at 50 K kms so far and I intend to let it go till failure. The Spark Brite voltage monitors will give adequate warning of failure. I also packed wiring that enables one bike to charge the other's battery. Both bikes have new Deka batterries and the latest version of stock Rectifier/Regulators that run a bit higher system voltage. The BMW fix is a Grand plus installation.......no thanks.

Fuel Pump and/or Controller Failure - Mine has the newer Black FPC with the old as a spare. I also have the bypass wiring packed. Pump failures are less of a concern in Canada allegedly due to less ethanol. The BMW "lifetime" fuel filter is just plain stupid. I will back flush it at first sign of trouble. That and I have a spare.

Boring stuff eh?

I just sold my house and moved in with Bec last Saturday. All my stuff is dumped in the garage and basement. I can't find a damn thing!!! I have one week to prep both bikes while buying those tools and equipment I can't locate.

Both bikes received:

New tires
    Oil and Filter
    Coolant change
    Hyperpro Suspensions
    New battery, Regulator and voltage monitor
    USB ports for toys
    Brake fluid change
    Full torque check on every exposed fastener

On the Road breakdown maintenance equipment includes a laptop, GS911, Maintenance CD and a hammer. Expected service will include chain maintenance and an oil change in 10K kms.

Enough of the detail crap and more pics, I know.

I have one day left to final prep and the mandate to eat all the food in the house. So far all the beer is gone. :1drink
  5. Chr!s

Chr!s natural born dreamer

Oddometer:
    :D awwwsome, i'm in :freaky
  6. kelsow

kelsow Long timer

Oddometer:
    Subscribed!
  7. Scubalong

Scubalong Long timer

Oddometer:
    Freaking sweeeeeeeeeeet rides. Safe travel and looking forward to your RR:clap
    Tacos and beers on me for the first round:freaky
  8. Scubalong

Scubalong Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes motorcycle is very dangerous, here is the proof :lol3
    [​IMG]
  9. Reaver

Reaver Hasta luego

Oddometer:
    That's just cause you're a sucky rider. :rofl Bike wrecker!

Welcome all.

If you're bored, stuck at work and on the clock, her last bike's birth and death is HERE.

If you're still bored, my bike is showcased HERE. I bought mine from BMW Canada and had to return the license plate which is shown in those reports. That and the cracked headlight lens was like a fingerprint! It took all winter to get it repaired and certified as it was ridden like they didn't own it. Cause they didn't own it. :wink:

Now I'm off to cut grass, shave, pack and tidy the house for the Pet Sitter.......
  10. Scubalong

Scubalong Long timer

Oddometer:
    :ken :lol3
  11. JRWooden

JRWooden never attribute to malice...

Oddometer:
    HEY ... I REPRESENT THAT REMARK ... :lol3
    FOR THE RECORD IT ONLY TOOK ABOUT 2 HOURS :deal

I'm in ... but I think you should promote Becca to be in charge of Public Relations ...
    I don't think you are cut out for that :lol3
  12. Reaver

Reaver Hasta luego

Oddometer:
    Just tryin' to piss off as many of you as I can before I leave. I was nice to your wife Woody...............:evil

Scubaboy, you're still buying the first round? :roflMaybe I'll bring you that snorkel you broke along with your bones.

Where's Loutre?????? :gun1

My new camera arrived in the mail yesterday, the very next day after ordering online. I didn't even pay for expedited service! It's an Olympus Stylus "Tough" camera that's supposed to be "lifeproof". Good to 50 ft deep and I should be able to throw it over the house with no probs (or drop it on the road at speed?). Built in GPS to record locations, elevations and landmarks. Maybe it can tell Zumo where it is? :D
    I'm just playing with it now so I have a clue enroute.

Sorry for the ramblings but I did warn you in the title. Just taking a break after the yardwork now and trying to finish the list. Bec has been working late so that she can leave her post for 3 wks. On the East Coast tour last year she brought the work phone and computer. :fpalm

The excitement is finally sinking in.
  13. Scubalong

Scubalong Long timer

Oddometer:
    :lol3

Absolutely :freaky Come on down.....Beers and tacos still on. I know you only map to LA but there is nothing for you to see there :huh I rather take you cross the border and :freaky

If you can bring the snorkel that would be great or better yet just leave your bike here with me :lol3
  14. FredRydr

FredRydr Danger: Keep Back 300 Ft.

Oddometer:
    You might want to keep the black panels as spares.... :D

Fred
  15. JRWooden

JRWooden never attribute to malice...

Oddometer:
    Yeah ... good luck pissing me off.... it's after 5PM here now ... :freaky
    Yes you were good to the wife... she has to put up with a lot....
    me and my frigg'n motorcycle buddies ......... :rofl
  16. haystack

haystack Just ride

Oddometer:
    Aren't you scared?:D
  17. Reaver

Reaver Hasta luego

Oddometer:

"What if you get lost????"

Been a crazy day dealing with last minute details.

I noticed my pre-trip panniers looked a little barren for some reason.

There, that otta do it!

[​IMG]
  18. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    Whoeeeeeee.......
    Wadayatalkingabout....... The 8gs will treat you right, out and back....:D:D
    Have a great journey.:freaky:freaky
  19. Reaver

Reaver Hasta luego

Oddometer:
    Hey Erling!

Don't worry, the precious cargo is loaded out of sight.

It's a late launch. Long story but added to it all, just like when you pull in to a coffee shop....all the people with lots of time come over and ask a hundred questions and tell you stories of their one big adventure 25 yrs ago. I pulled the bikes out and the neighbours dropped breakfast and ran over. After a lot of short answers one neighbour said "When ya leavin'?" All ATGATT, I said "as soon as you all do!" That made the point. Great, now they all know the house is vacant for 3 wks. :fpalm

We're aiming for Iowa City as a first night. We'll see how that goes. Only 850 kms and a Border stop.

Later!
  20. Tex83

Tex83 Motersykle Advntyers

Oddometer:
    Yep, I'm in. How do we know a motorcycle ride really started this morning, there were no shots of breakfast!! Poser!! :lol3