State bans loud exhausts... fatalities jump 18% in one year!

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by wiseblood, Mar 22, 2013.

1. wiseblood

wiseblood This checks out Supporter

Oddometer:
    ....said nobody, ever.

On the other hand:

Michigan had an 18% increase in biker fatalies from 2011 to 2012

[​IMG]

Michigan has seen an 18% increase in biker deaths between 2011 and 2012 since removing the mandatory helmet law in April 2012. :eek1

The Michigan State say that a year isn’t enough time to determine whether removing the helmet law was the cause of increased motorcycle deaths. Last year, Michigan had an unusual summer — it was hotter and drier than normal with higher temperatures and caused an increase bikers riding.

In 2012, there were 129 biker deaths compared to the 109 deaths in 2011. Whether those deaths could had been prevented by helmets is unknown.

http://hellforleathermagazine.com/2...increase-in-biker-fatalies-from-2011-to-2012/

Folks who promoted the change in motorcycle helmet law in Michigan should be really proud of themselves. They struck a blow for freedom, I tell ya.
  2. BanjoBoy

BanjoBoy I like pussy

Oddometer:
    Don't get the title; "loud exhausts" when the article says helmet laws? :dunno
    Read much? :deal
    Or are you just another biker who dun bumped his head? :lol3
  3. 1911fan

1911fan Master of the Obvious Supporter

Oddometer:
    Where I grew up, we had helmet laws. My father and I always said that, if the law were repealed, we'd only wear helmets if we were going into town or hitting the highway, but not so much around home.
    I owe my life to a helmet, one that gave itself up when my head hit the curb at least twice at 25mph after being center punched by an 88 year old cager who ''didn't see him''. Less than a mile from home.
    Sure, it's a choice. One I rethought years ago, and I will continue to wear a helmet regardless of the law. I wear one on the mountain bike too. I read a while back that direct impact to your head at 11mph is enough to kill you or make you a vegetable.
    No thanks, I like my life just the way it is. i wonder if there are any statistics on how many helmetless rider fatalities have fewer than 3-5 years riding experience?

1911fan
  4. farmerstu

farmerstu Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    said the man from new york city.
    whats wrong with the water in that city that makes them want to control every aspect of everyone elses lives?
  5. wiseblood

Oddometer:

It's called sarcasm. It was invented in the Northeast, but I've read that nowadays people all over the country are doing it. :lol3

Seriously... a lot of the same folks who fight helmet laws also argue that "loud pipes save lives." It's a two-fer. :1drink
  6. Bronco638

Bronco638 Nobody Home

Oddometer:
    The law doesn't say you CAN'T wear a helmet, just that you don't HAVE to wear one.
  7. wiseblood

Oddometer:
    Not every aspect. Take a visit to CSM, and you can read all about folks far from NYC who want to have a say about what people to in the privacy of their own homes. :deal

What's your position? You want to argue that helmet laws do NOT save lives? Make your point. :lurk
  8. Bill Harris

Bill Harris Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer:
    Always worn a helmet, even before helmet laws. It just makes sense. The only time I didn't was in 1966 when I got T-boned-- I was painting the helmet and made a quick and near-fatal trip to the hdwr store for more paint.

--Bill
  9. wiseblood

Oddometer:

Yup. Actually, to be more precise, the law says you still have to wear a helmet if:

• ...you are under 21 years old
    • ...have less than 2 years riding experience
    • ...carry less than $20k health insurance policy

Nonetheless, these two things happened in the same year:

1. Michigan repealed their existing helmet laws for riders not in the above categories. (Or "made it optional" if you prefer.)
    2. 18% more riders died
  10. DAKEZ

DAKEZ Long timer

Oddometer:

^^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^^ The rider should choose
  11. Offcamber

Offcamber Long timer

Oddometer:
    Oh look helmet law debate thread....that's new:rolleyes

How's that for sarcasm??

Its not about how many lives it saves its about Government restrictions....how many lives would be saved if they just outlawed motorcycles all together??
  12. wiseblood

Oddometer:
    :lurk
  13. DAKEZ

DAKEZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    How many Rider deaths were there? (I am NOT a "biker")

Yes the Folks who promoted the change should be REALLY PROUD!!! Freedom is something worth fighting for. :deal
  14. wiseblood

Oddometer:
    You need MUCH more practice! A more artful bit of sarcasm might have been:

"Thank you! I'm so glad someone started a thread about helmet laws. It's about time."

At very least:

"Oh, goody! A thread about helmet laws!"

Keep at it. You'll get the swing of it, eventually. :freaky

Oh, goody! Someone has alerted us to the dangers of the "slippery slope!" I'm so glad you brought that up. It's about time.

It's SOO realistic an argument against helmet laws. I mean... helmet laws actually save lives. And, even though nobody in the US has ever gotten anywhere, ever with an ACTUAL law to ban motorcycles, we shouldn't take a chance because in hypothetical-world it COULD happen.

:lurk
  15. DAKEZ

DAKEZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    Save your own life and keep your laws OFF my person.

Laws banning abortions save more lives... Are you against abortion as well? :lurk
  16. Offcamber

Offcamber Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ok hows this....a liberal from New York....now that is rare...

But since your point is about saving lives by your own argument anything considered dangerous should be outlawed??

Let me guess big supporter of the 6 round magazine law your forwarding thinking state passed?

I'm waiting for "how much it cost tax payers" argument to start...

:dhorse

Nobody will argue your safer with a helmet than without but its still personal choice...your life your choice.
  17. wiseblood

Oddometer:

:lol3

Let it be known that I tried to keep this thread out of the basement as long as I could. :freaky
  18. gravityisnotmyfriend

gravityisnotmyfriend °.°.°.°.°.°.°.°.°.°.

Oddometer:
    Simply put, it's survival of the fittest. If you're not smart enough to protect your head, you'll face the consequences.

I remember being 16, and my brother was 18. In WI, helmets are optional if you're over 18. We were just going to run into town quick on our CX500s. My brother, not having to wear a helmet was looking for his sunglasses since his bike had no windshield and eye protection was mandatory. We were in a hurry, he couldn't find his glasses, so he threw on the full face helmet at the last minute.

50' from the house, his back tire slides on gravel that was on the road. He high sides and gets slammed into the road as his bike flips over him. The back of his head was the first thing to hit the road. Happened 20' in front of me.

He did break his foot, but if he had found his glasses, I have no doubt in my mind that he'd be dead.

I don't care that 90% of the cruiser riders out here in IA don't ever wear a helmet - that's their choice. I always wear mine.
  19. wiseblood

Oddometer:

:eek1

That is a heck of a story. I'm glad he was ok!

We've all participated in these threads before. On the pro side of the helmet law argument you have:

On the con side you have:

• It's about freedom.
    • They'll ban motorcycles (and other dangerous things) next.

I find it very telling that nobody (or nearly nobody) nowadays makes a serious argument that helmet laws (and helmets) do NOT save lives. :deal The argument is always "I've got mine, so who cares about teh stupid?"

That's a valid point worth discussing. Should we care at all about people too stupid to hear a helmet?

I don't find arguments about "societal costs of health care" compelling, so I won't even go there. My argument in favor of caring about others is more along the lines of "more people alive is better than more people dead." I'm not religious, but I do recall there is a bit about "I am my brother's keeper" which might apply, too, if such is your disposition.

Now, about the banning of the motorcycles: It would never happen. Come to me with a link to a proposed law banning motorcycles which went anywhere, and I'll listen. But, in general, hypotheticals about slippery slopes are entirely unconvincing.
  20. ph0rk

ph0rk Doesn't Care

Oddometer:
    The magical NC legislature is talking about removing the helmet law here.

All I wonder about is whether or not riders without a helmet will be fatigued or have random bugs in their eyes and thus more prone to fucking up. The first few riders that slam into minivans full of kids will get us all blamed for it.