Nwgs Jeep'n Thread

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by nwgs, May 20, 2007.

1. nwgs

nwgs Jesus Saves

Oddometer:
    Ok now that I'm a Big You Tube Star. I thought it might be time to start a Jeep'n thread.
    I love my motorcycle more than any machine in my life.
    But I can't take my wifelet on it. Well I could but it has always been my thing. She tried. Its didn't take.
    Jeep'n is something I do with her and the dogs.
    I would like to see your Jeeps and hear about your Jeep'n adventures.

So without further ado. Please join me in appreciating our Jeeps.

Yesterday. Reiter Pit Washington. Very popular riding area.

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/5axG9WJ71TE"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/5axG9WJ71TE" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>
  2. nwgs

nwgs Jesus Saves

Oddometer:
    I have this cage in the back. It was suppose to be storage for stuff. But along with the wifelet comes the dogs. We lost our dog Teena 2 years ago.
    But Buddy Lee got lonely. So along comes Dayzee. You will be hearing alot more about Dayzee.

Here they are just hanging out in the cage. Blankets keep them comfy. I put the green plastic around the cage when we first got Dayzee. So she couldn't climb out.

[​IMG]

Here's the end of that obstacle I was on in the other video.

I was on the winch here. The thing blew up at the end of this tow.

<OBJECT height=350 width=425>

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/8fFjWJN3mls" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></OBJECT></P>

Now here is the view of the same obstacle with WCJeep at the wheel. This is a view from the back.

You might think we are a bit crazy. WC has his 2 year old in the jeep with him. She did the Rubicon with us when she wasn't even 6 mo's old. She is a cutie and a real Jeep'er.
    Funny thing, for about an hour after crossing these rocks she kept saying Jeep Fall Daddy. Jeep Fall Daddy.

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/JEWdEFxIaaI"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/JEWdEFxIaaI" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>
    gojira14 likes this.
  3. nwgs

nwgs Jesus Saves

Oddometer:
    My wife is a great spotter. She likes to drive also and is very good.,

The cage in the back is where the Dogs ride.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Funny though if she thinks we are gona tip over. I end up in the Jeep alone.

[​IMG]
    gojira14 likes this.
  4. Askel

Askel Perma-n00b

Oddometer:
    Yukon J. Malamute chooses slightly less comfortable accomodations in the back of my Jeep.

[​IMG]
  5. Mr. Cob

Mr. Cob Howling "Mad", Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Howdy All,

This is a thread I can relate to, :evil if I knew how to do it I could throw HOURS of video of my Jeeping misadventures up here for you.

Here's some photos of my Jeep that has spent many days roaming around the Rieter Pit area and the State of Washington.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A few more photos here,

https://mr-cob.smugmug.com/gallery/5945#182801

Any Nor-Wetters looking for a street legal mini-monster this rig is for sale, $6,000.00 you can't even buy the running gear for that.:deal
  6. XLPreacher

XLPreacher Card Carrying A**hole

Oddometer:
    Hey Jeepsters.... Mind if I chime in with a question?

I am looking for a metal rock grill for a 7" light, preferably one without a logo (PIAA, HELLA etc)

Any good sources for this type of item?
  7. Ruffus

Ruffus Dirty Old Mudder

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

registered as a 1981 CJ7
    Dynatrac Dana 60 rear, 4:56, detroit locker, disk brakes
    Dynatrac Dana 44 front, 4:56 power lock
    Full fiberglass body, full rollcage, RCI racing buckets bolted to cage, 4 point safety harness
    97 injected LT1, custom wiring harness & computer programming
    4 speed auto O\D, RCI lockup kit
    37-12.50-16 Superswamper SSR's
    16 X 10 American Racing Baja wheels
    8000 lb. Warn winch
    Aris flamethrower 150 watt offroad lights
    Xenon 6 inch YJ flares rear 5 1\2 inch CJ flares front
    personally made 3 link coil spring suspension front, 4 link coil rear, soon to be a three link also
    :deal:clap

18 - 20 mpg's, untill I get to the states where higher speeds are posted on the highways, even 300 hp has a hardtime pushing something as aerodynamic as a barn door :lol3

p.s. click on the pic for large view
  8. nwgs

nwgs Jesus Saves

Oddometer:

I do need a new winch. :lol3
  9. nwgs

nwgs Jesus Saves

Oddometer:

I read a book by Erick Ryback who hiked the Appelation trail and the Pacific Crest trail, when I was a kid. He payed for his hiking trips by writing his books. I enjoyed them and they inspired me.
    I had kids when I was young and never got to explore like I wanted to.
    Now my kids are Kanemans age, and moved out.
    Now I can explore, bike, jeep, hike. Well, on the weekends.
    It's a nice dream to do what he does. I hope he makes a bundle. Maybe some movie guy will pay him millions for the story.
    Everyone has their own path to adventure.

[​IMG]
    gojira14 likes this.
  10. Caribou Aqua Buddha

Caribou Aqua Buddha Long timer

Oddometer:
  11. Lone Rider

Lone Rider Registered User

Oddometer:
    Those 44 u-joints and axle ears will snap like a fresh pretzel, if you make use of that motor when in some hard stuff. Why didn't you go 60 front?
  12. SuperSlug

SuperSlug The Space Worm ®

Oddometer:
    This path happens to run over some freshly laid salmon or steelhead eggs. :bluduh

:amazon

Looks like a helluva lot of fun!
  13. Ruffus

Ruffus Dirty Old Mudder

Oddometer:
    I've been in some hard rock crawling & the axle held up great, my front diveshaft on the other hand twisted & snapped. when I ordered my axles back around 96 a 60 rear 44 front was considered bulletproof up to a 38 inch tire combo. besides it was $7500 Canadian delivered to my door, kinda blew the budget. The guys at Dynatrac advised me on the 44 saying the 60 was overkill & much, much heavier, not needed for a lightweight jeep :dunno

I've got pics of that breakage day, but they're on my old puter & don't have a networking setup. No idea how to transfer images to my new one
  14. nwgs

nwgs Jesus Saves

Oddometer:

No dude that's totally cool. I thought about that myself before posting this pic. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. But Reiter is State owned land. This river crossing is part of the trail system and approved to run on.
    I also crossed rivers twice on the Fordyce Trail. There is a Rubicon crossing at Rubicon springs.
    Wouldn't do it if it weren't part of the trail system.
  15. Lone Rider

Lone Rider Registered User

Oddometer:
    It all depends on what you do with it, really.
    There's a big difference in the hardcore 4x4 world between 10 years ago and now, as you know.
    The important thing is to know what you're capable of and to have fun with it.

Even an anvil has it's limits. :D
  16. SuperSlug

SuperSlug The Space Worm ®

Oddometer:
    No worries man. :D

I think Reiter is state owned. I love fishing the Skykomish in that area (except at the hatchery, that's some scary combat-fishing...)
  17. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Banned

Oddometer:
    So it is not a Jeep, but I have fun anyway. In a snobish sort of manner.:D

Last fall found this neat old mine area above Silver City, Idaho, high in the Owyhee mountains. We were on our dual sport motorcycles, but I thought I might be able to get the ML in there so I could take my wife.

Yesterday was the day. Loaded up the ML with enough firepower to overthrow a small government and headed for Silver City.

I have no idea how to make the photos look as rough as the terrain actually is. If someone can give me some pointers, please do. In the photos the trail looks tame, but in reality, it was quite steep, loose, and rough. Not to mention narrow. Spent an hour with my rotary buffer polishing all the "racing stripes" out of the paint from all the brush and tree limbs.

Lost each of the rear bumper access panels once each. One was left on a pile of rocks and easy to retrieve, the other got ripped off as I was climbing up out of a creek and I had to chase it down the creek. Good thing it was warm because that water was ICE! If I go anywhere aggressive again I will just take the front and rear bumper covers off, about a 20 minute job. Really increases it's attack and departure angles.

One thing really impressed me. Had to navigate a couple of ledges where I was cross tetering on one of the front and rear wheel only. Two wheels airborne. The traction control worked fantastic, locking down the free wheels to transfer power to the wheels on the ground. Pulled right out of it. I was also really impressed with the hill decent feature. When locked into first gear, low range (yes, it has a two speed transfer case, with the lowest ratio gearing of any production 4x4), it will use the antilock brakes to control a decent down any slope while not locking up any wheel. I tried it while negotiating a very loose, rocky, off camber switchback where I might of gone sideways had I not been using it. I am used to two wheels, not four.

So, without further adeu, here are the photos:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This was steep enough it was hard to walk up, yet it looks flat in the photos. Any help with techniques?:mad:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
  18. Ruffus

Ruffus Dirty Old Mudder

Oddometer:
    actually its my daily driver. I used to have a 14 inchtravel coilover bistein setup, but it didn't handle highways well, noisy as hell with rod ends everywhere, but it had incredible articulation. expensive lesson, what may work great offroad may be a little iffy onroad, I drove it across the country pulling my jetboat (wifes bright idea) did some wheeling in Moab, then south, pick up wife in Vegas & head down to Cabo for a couple weeks then home again. I learned some things about compromise, hehehe just like riding a dualsport. My offroad excursion are few & far beween, I play in mud, & easy trails half the time & technical rock crawling the other half. soon as I'm able I will move the front axle 3 inches forward, when my driveshaft snapped I had them make me a 3 inch longer one, Ohhh & I'll let some air out of the tires nexttime, I was lazy & wanted to see what I could do with full street pressure 20 psi, I was impressed right up untill the snap, crackle, pop
  19. nwgs

nwgs Jesus Saves

Oddometer:
    Great Photo's Makes me want to go there. Don't know about techniques but the pics never do justice to the difficulty do they?
    I try to take shots from the side when I want to get elevation shots.

:kumbaya
  20. easyridin5150

easyridin5150 To young to feel this old

Oddometer:
    I need some steroids...Bad!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Note the second pair of eyes peering out into the cold.

[​IMG]