Scooter comparison

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by Zorro39, May 2, 2012.

1. Zorro39

Zorro39 Texan By Choice

Oddometer:
    I have finally migrated to a new scooter for a variety of reasons. I passed on the Helix. I am now looking at a couple of new 2009 models. Any advice about which would be the better one. Both about the same price.
    1. Kymco Super 8 150
    2. Aprilla Sportcity 125

Just for going around town and some weekend back road adventures.

Thanks for advice and insight.
  2. gogogordy

gogogordy Long timer

Oddometer:
    The Kymco is a Chinese-built (not Taiwan) Kymco bike, but still a good one, backed by a 2 year warranty since youre buying new.

The Kymco tends to have a brick for a seat, and in the case of the 150 Super, there are some "wings" on each side near the floorboard that make it akward (for me) to get my feet on and off like at stoplights and such. Have you sat on one? Thats my only nit to pick with it, but from a practical standpoint, depending on yer foot size and type of riding you intend to do, can be a PITA.

The Sportcity is a an amazing scooter, italian flair, and italian "charm"....if you know what that means (maintenance costs, parts, fewer dealers to service).

Add in half the warranty of the KYMCO (1 yr v. 2) and the business-side of things make a better case for the asian Kymco. That being said, to me, there's nothing like an italian scooter.....warts and all. They are dependable, fun to ride, and durable but they have "needs".

You can't go wrong with either, which floats yer boat?
  3. Warney

Warney Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Both good choices but chances are great you'll be wanting a 250 a few weeks after purchasing either of those. The extra 15-20mph and higher performance a 250 offers makes a huge difference in the capabilities of the Scooter.
  4. gogogordy

gogogordy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not neccessarily, depends. I've had both in my garage at the same time and frankly in town nothing beats a 125. In many cities, scooterists swear by 50cc's!

Less is (often) more....
  5. E.R.Minman

E.R.Minman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    have you considered the fly 150? love mine!
  6. gogogordy

gogogordy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good call.

I wonder how that stacks up pricewise with the recession-era 2009 bikes the OP is considering?

Although the Fly IS well priced.....
  7. ronnath

ronnath Long timer

Oddometer:
    not trying to dogpile you, warney, but gogogordy nailed it pretty well.

i just traded a 400cc majesty for a Kymco Yager GT 200i (which is actually a 175) and couldn't be more pleased since the vast majority (98%+) of my riding is in town and the 175 handles it very well. i don't "do" interstate highways, but secondary roads limited to 55/60 speed limits aren't a problem for the Yager.
  8. TheReaper!

TheReaper! Been here awhile

Oddometer:

A great deal of it depends on where you live , where I live any thing less than 250cc is suicidal .
    Another thing you should consider is the weight of the scooter , the lighter the scooter the better
    the chance you can get blown off the road . Also the more you can carry on your scooter , the more
    you will use it . To many people buy motorcycles and scooters without a clue or plan , ask yourself
    what you want the bike to do for you , and make damn sure it can before you buy it . For me personally
    itÂ’s about the luggage , in other words how much can I carry on it safely .

TheReaper!
  9. Ken OBSC

Ken OBSC -6.12, -7.64

Oddometer:
  10. DudeClone

DudeClone Long timer

Oddometer:
    I would go with the Kymco if it fit me. just because i think it would be simpler to work on and get parts for. and fairly inexpensive to own and operate. and there is a tuner community for it. it's punchy, too.

we all know of a very active user here who rides the heck out of a Super 8 and a Sport City 250. he likes them both. but the Sport City 125 isn't the same bike, really. its not a Sport City 250 with a smaller engine, and it looks average in comparison. imo in pics and in person it looks to be decidedly downmarket of it's bigger sibling.

i know nothing of its performance, however. or its handling or comfort. or the Super 8 for that matter. but i know a little about scooters and ride them, and ....darn it! ok, i am not crazy about the styling of the Super 8, either! but imo it looks less cheap then the SC 125. i just think the Super 8 is over styled a bit.

here is a SC 50. i link a 50 because THIS is the same scooter as the 125 but with a smaller engine. look up the 125 and its the same

http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/photos/2009models/2009-Aprilia-SportcityOne50.htm

now the much stouter looking SC 250

http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/photos/2009models/2009-Aprilia-SportcityCube250.htm

and the Super 8

http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/motorcycles/2012models/2012-Kymco-Super8-150.htm

i say get the Super 8 but that is an admittedly shallow pov
  11. DudeClone

DudeClone Long timer

Oddometer:
    oh, and so far as engine size and all that? it's w/e you need. a 150 is plenty. and once the cc's start to climb many scooters lose the scooter in 'em :(

we scooterists have the Genuine Buddy 170i and Blur 220i. that is great. and some Kymco's, Syms, and a Vespa / Piaggio or two. a Zuma from Yamaha, nothing from Honda with small wheels and guts, and a maxi scoot from Suzuki

that leaves the Chinese :(

scooters are small and they have small engines. its a good thing. we urban riders? we don't need no stinkin' 250! :ken
  12. klaviator

klaviator Scooter Trash Supporter

Oddometer:
    As Dudeclone mentioned, there is someone on this forum with a Super 8 180 as well as a sport city 250 and that someone would be me:D

I have had the Super 8 for 17 months. I ride it almost every day, mostly short trips around town, and have nearly 6400 miles on it. I had a few minor problems with it but they were quickly taken care of under warrantee. If you want more info on how it works, check out my ride reports:

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=647784

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=670468

Can't comment on the Sport City 125 but my 250 has been trouble free except a leaking fork seal that was covered under warrantee. I have had it for a year and have put nearly 8800 miles on it. I prefer the 150 around town but the 250 is more versatile and more capable of long trips.
    HiHOSilverGS likes this.
  13. Warney

Warney Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  14. gogogordy

gogogordy Long timer

Oddometer:
  15. Zorro39

Zorro39 Texan By Choice

Oddometer:
    Thanks for all the information. I think I have settled on the Kymco. It is simpler in most respects, has a kick start as well as electric, twice the warrenty and 50 ccs more. I guess the Aprilla 125 is not moving as well and that is the reason the price was close to the Kymco.
    I became interested in the Super 8 because of the ride reports of Klavitor. I have lived in middle Tennessee and western NC, so I was initially drawn to the ride repots for the journeys,but became facinated with machine.

I have been riding since 1959, every thing from a 37 Harley( as seen on Highway Patrol with Brodrick Crawford) to PC800 to a 1200 Sportster (felt like riding a pencil with a rocket). And everything in between. So I don't need power or speed at this point in my life, just something to run around on and an occasional ride in the country side to take pictures of cows and bluebonnets.

Thanks again for the input.

Z39
  16. hexnut

hexnut Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Good choice. The Super 8 is a good scooter. Parts are not expensive and easy to get. My Kymco dealer can have most any Kymco part in 3 to 4 days. The warranty is better as well.

It was pointed out that the Super 8 was made in Kymco's China plant...I believe the Aprilia 125 is made in China as well as the Piaggio Fly 150.

I had a Kymco People 150 that was bullet proof and the people S 250 I have now has been problem free.
  17. klaviator

Oddometer:
    I don't think you will regret your decision. There are certainly faster, bigger, higher tech, more comfortable, etc scooters out there but.......

I have been riding for well over 30 years & 400K miles. I have owned many bikes and probably ridden around 150-200 different bikes. The Super 8 is one of the most fun to ride bikes I have ridden. Around town and on short trips, it's THE MOST FUN. I enjoy getting on it even if it's the same 5 mile ride to work I do every night.

Make sure to post some pics and let us know how you like your new scooter when you get it.
  18. gogogordy

gogogordy Long timer

Oddometer:
    You'll have a great time on that scooter, and it's certainly not a compromise in quality, or style.

Enjoy it and post up some of thoe pictures you take (whats a Bluebonnet?)
  19. Zorro39

Zorro39 Texan By Choice

Oddometer:
    It is the most beautiful flower known to man. It is also the state flower of Texas.

I will post pics of the ride and the flowers and probably some longhorns:rofl

Z39
  20. klaviator

Oddometer:
    One common problem on the Super 8 is that the three bolts holding the cosmetic end cap on the muffler WILL vibrate loose and fall of so put some loctite on them first thing.