We're building an ICF house

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by Adam E, Jun 16, 2012.

1. Adam E

Adam E OK

Oddometer:
    HA! Then you actually caught me working. Stop by tomorrow I'll be there all day. (And feel free to drop by with a friend if you're not alone).

We were sort of held up by the well drillers- based on the access they needed I had to hold off on prep work for footings for the next level to start. As soon as they got their truck in I got to work and promptly blocked them in- so today my goal was to finish what I was doing so they can finish and get out on Monday.

They got to 400' without great production- thinking about 1 gallon a minute. Saving grace is that the static level came way up overnight- so we've got at least 500 gallons of storage more or less. That should be sufficient for us. We're thinking of asking them to go another 80 feet (it's what they have handy on the rig) to get a little more storage and possibly up the production a bit.

So- we should be able to speed up our process a bit in the next few weeks- No pictures until something significant happens. :lol3
  2. SourKraut

SourKraut Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    It may be worth it if they have the rods on the truck. Our well was completely dry at 400' but they hit a massive fracture at 430' and we got 60+ gpm estimated. They told me to open a car wash but that would be somewhat pointless two miles up a dirt road. :rofl
  3. Deacon

Deacon Ready, shoot, aim

Oddometer:
    Just scanned through your posts about your ICF project. One thing that I did not see mentioned is the inclusion of a Heat Recovery Ventilation System. Stick frame homes are too tight in my opinion based on local codes. I include a HRV in all my homes to a) balance air pressures, b) provide fresh air to the interior, c) keep and control humidity levels and d) retain some advantage from the "bought" air that is already conditioned.

Fun watching...something to be proud of....

Deacon
  4. Adam E

Adam E OK

Oddometer:
    They went to 485 today and said production went up a bit. (Not a lot) I'm going to check the static level next time I remember. They were confident that as long as we don't start a pig farm that we should have enough storage to run our house- even if children come along.

Yup- it's in the works. Leaving it up to the General Contractor who seems to be on top of that sort of thing. I'm hoping to just make it work in conjunction with a duct system for central A/C. Everyone thinks I'm crazy for spending the money on A/C but 1)I hate heat 2)I hate humidity and 3)it doesn't seem to be getting any cooler out there. :lol3:dic

In other news I just got back from pouring more footings all by my very self. First time I've done any concrete work by myself. Thankfully it was a small and easy job. I told the driver I was a noob and he took it easy on me.

Tomorrow we'll start building walls on top of those footings and we'll be ready for a pour in no time!

Thanks for reading- nice to know that folks are watching progress.
  5. Adam E

Adam E OK

Oddometer:
    I was all set up to pour some more walls tomorrow. By myself. Only thing I had to do was have some gravel delivered and build a ramp for the concrete truck to gain a few feet of elevation. No big deal.

Then the wife volunteered to move a bunch of ICFs that were kind of in the way. Her father was going to be around and I figured it'd be a good easy job for them.

I found a source for really inexpensive gravel and the guy was actually able to deliver it quickly.

I show up this evening figuring I'm in for 30 minutes of dirt work and I'll be all set for tomorrow.

FUCKING WRONG!

The dirt guy dumped 8 loads of gravel in the last place I would have wanted it. (Not only did I spell it out for him, but I drew a god damn picture too). And my wife didn't move any ICFs, so they were all in the way. They're really hard to move alone, so I figured I'd just have to work carefully around them.

All was going ok in my adventure to move 8 loads of gravel one scoop at a time until my hand slipped, I dropped the bucket too low, and blasted through several cubes of ICFs, blowing them into tiny little pieces. Haven't done a count yet, but I'm guessing I did at least $1000 worth of damage. I was going slow and watching every swing carefully. I seriously can't fathom how my hand slipped the way it did. I feel like an idiot.

I had a head explosion. I screamed my head off. I threw my hat.

All because 3 people didn't do what I thought they could handle AND I WAS TOO DUMB TO MOVE THE ICFS OUT OF THE WAY. Lesson learned. If you want something done right you might as well do it yourself.

There is something missing from the story and I can't figure out what. I told my wife that if she showed up to find the dirt in the wrong spot that she should have called me so I could be prepared for it. I also told her that it would have been nice if she told me that she didn't move the ICFs- again- I have a friend that would have happily helped me if I gave him a few hours notice by phone.

This is exactly the sort of thing that I would have vented to my Mother about. She was always there to listen. She'd side with me when I deserved it- and she'd tell me I was an asshole when in fact I was being an asshole. Either way she listened. She was my Mother and that's what Mother's do. I miss her terribly.

I hope tomorrow goes better. It would be hard for it to be worse.

Sorry- just had to vent. Don't want this to get punted to inmates.
  6. kobudo28

kobudo28 Banned

Oddometer:
    I hate it when shit like that happens.

Sorry to hear you had so much trouble. It's tough to keep things in perspective when so much goes wrong all at once. Taking on the task of building a house is very tiring, draining at times. It could always be worse than it is, or seems.

It's OK, you can vent to us instead. We might bust your chops, tease you a bit but you can still vent here at your own risk. :D
  7. Adam E

Adam E OK

Oddometer:
    You're both right. It could be worse.

Perspective is important. I've just been so worn out lately- little things add up. I'll get through it.

I keep telling people about the great housewarming party we're gonna have. Sure hope you both are there. :freaky
  8. Da Bear

Da Bear Swimmer in the Charybdis

Oddometer:
    You reacted just about spot on as I would have. Nothing to make fun off. Some pooches are just screwed when you get them......
  9. SourKraut

SourKraut Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Building a place requires a team. So does a housewarming party.

As disappointed as we were with some vendors during our cabin build, the friends that pitched in for nothing but beer made up for it and then some. Breaking stuff sucks (been there) but more importantly nobody got hurt. You'll get it done and totally forget all the stress. [​IMG]

Keep up with the pictures already.
  10. flyinfuzz

flyinfuzz 2 Quarts low

Oddometer:
    Been there done that when we were building our log house. Don't you need to dig a big hole with the digger? you know off by yourself just to put your mind out of gear for a while then take a deep breath say WTF ever and hit it again. :deal
  11. Adam E

Adam E OK

Oddometer:
    Well-

I told the ICF guy about what happened and he must have taken pity on me. He drove 1.5 hours out of his way and moved all the ICFs out of the way for me (with his wife- it's much easier with 2 people- she's so nice for coming with him.) Can't thank them enough. Need to find a nice restaurant near where they live and get them a gift certificate.

I was heading out there to pour the walls and it started downpouring. I pulled in the driveway to find them there moving ICFs in the pouring rain. We chatted about the rain and the mud and all that nonsense and he talked me right out of pouring. Called up and canceled the order.

Don't know when I'll get to it but I don't really give a shit.:lol3

Maybe this weekend I'll get something done.
  12. kobudo28

kobudo28 Banned

Oddometer:
    THIS is sound advice! :D :deal
  13. A-Bone

A-Bone Indubitably

Oddometer:
    Or you could just give her a fresh one... and tell her that better not happen again....

Choose your own adventure.....
  14. Adam E

Adam E OK

Oddometer:
    I'll find something to putter on- can't sit around. But I won't go nuts.

Quit feeding him! He'll keep coming back!

I won't tell her you said that. :lol3

I can take a dumb dump truck driver.
    I can take people not doing what they say they're going to do.

But I'm hard on myself- I'm mad at myself for making a mistake that is going to cost us money. And those first two things just escalated that.

I'm calmer today. And one of my hippie friends from Colorado just called me out of the blue. He has a very calming effect on people. Haven't talked to him in over a year. He picked a good day to call. :lol3
  15. barnyard

barnyard Verbal tactician Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Sounds like you need some quality nekkid time.
  16. A-Bone

A-Bone Indubitably

Oddometer:
    I'm not sure that would be good for the excavator seats....

Just sayin...
  17. barnyard

barnyard Verbal tactician Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Quality, I say, quality.

:lol3
  18. kobudo28

kobudo28 Banned

Oddometer:
    Conversation with Adam's hippie friend.

"Dude, man you need to chill out:bmwrider" "What the hell happend to you man? One day you're out west in the mountains and the next you are working for the man back east. Too much stress dude. You need to unplug, get with the old lady and kick it a while." :freaky"At least you stiil have your beard man. You got room for some goats on the property?" :stoned
  19. Adam E

Adam E OK

Oddometer:
    Had a reply typed up and then the site appeared to have crashed.

I cleared some brush where the septic leach field is going and got into some ground bees. The whole Yin Yang thing must be working out, because I didn't get stung a single time. Don't know how- they were all over the place.

Today we dug a trench (80 feet) to run power and cable from the meter pedestal into the house. $250 worth of conduit and 3 gallons of sweat later we're all done.

Looks like we're back in the groove. :freaky
  20. Lab-Kid

Lab-Kid Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you are going to have an aerated septic tank I would provide for an alternative means of aeration before you install it. I found that the motors to the aerators, when installed inside the tank, only last about 2 years and they are expensive (and disgusting) to replace. I rigged up a large aquarium pump and placed it in my basement and ran tubing to the tank. It has been working great for 16 years now.