CannonTracks - Southwest Wisconsin Tour

Discussion in 'GPS Tracks - Central, Texas & Gulf States' started by Cannonshot, Mar 8, 2007.

1. Cannonshot

Cannonshot Having a Nice Time Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    This track is a scenic tour in the SW corner of WI and a sliver of far NW IL. It is about a 240 mile ride through an area that holds a lot of history from the 1800s. The ride starts across the Mississippi River from Dubuque, IA and ends in Galena, IL.

Things to enjoy along the route include:
    -National Mississippi River Museum and Aquarium in Dubuque (off the track but very nearby).
    -A tour of what once was a significant lead mining region.
    -A visit to a mine in Potosi, WI which Ripley says has the longest main street without a crossing in the world.
    -A ride through the Cassville area which has a small ferry to cross the Mississippi River, Nelson Dewey State Park, and Stonefield Village which is an exhibit of WI farm life at the turn of the century.
    -A ride along some gravel and asphalt roads winding along the east side of the Mississippi River.
    -Wyalusing State Park which overlooks the confluence of the Wisconsin and Mississippi Rivers from 500 feet atop the bluffs.
    -Many routes through scenic hills, valleys, and twisties.
    -The House on the Rock (a well known attraction – check the web for info).
    -Governor Dodge State Park
    -Shullsburg (mining town with a museum)
    -Riding what once was a stagecoach road that ran from Galena to Chicago. Important line of communication in 1830s.
    -A visit to Galena, IL which once was a thriving commerce center (more important than Chicago at the time) which is now a quaint tourist town.
    -Camping is available in the state parks and Galena is a popular place for people to stay.

<IFRAME style="BORDER-RIGHT: medium none; BORDER-TOP: medium none; BORDER-LEFT: medium none; BORDER-BOTTOM: medium none" src="http://maps.innersource.com/external/iframe/project/3217" width=400 height=400> </IFRAME>

Google Earth
    [​IMG]

Map Overview
    [​IMG]

Segment 1
    [​IMG]

Segment 2
    [​IMG]

Segment 3
    [​IMG]

Segment 4
    [​IMG]

See post 6 for an updated GPX with a route.
  2. rokklym

rokklym one man wolfpack

Oddometer:
    Very good route there Bryan! I've ridden all of that before, but not at one time.
    another A+ for Cannonshot
  3. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Thanks Chad. If you are from that area, you know that there is some fun riding on those routes.

This loop and the driftless area loop (also listed in GPS Central) would be good alternatives for any road riders that want to be part of the gravel ride event that you host in that area. Let me know if I can help facilitate that (if you need anything beyond what is already posted). I would be glad to help.
  4. begeberg

begeberg Let it burn....

Oddometer:
    I have been up there on my bicycle to do the TOMRV ride from Dubuque to Galena and back but that is on the paved roads. Can you suggest a place to stay on the route. My seat on my DRZ doesn't permit more than about 100 miles a day at this time!
  5. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    http://www.dodgeville.com/vacation/lodging.html
  6. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Updated this file with a route. Snipped the trackline into segments of 250 or less to accommodate more GPS units. Used a more current map to account for minor highway improvements.
  7. n9udl

n9udl Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What happened to all the GPX file attachments? I just get a blank page.

Sadly,

Tom

8. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Attachments have been down for some time due to server work.

I have been e-mailing a lot of these tracks to people in the meantime though.

Send me a PM with an e-mail address that takes attachments and I'll send you what you want.
  9. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    These tracks are now available again for download. Many thanks to fellow ADVer deputyjones who offered some server space.

Go to http://dsam-mi.org/GPS_Files/ and you will see a directory of folders that contain the files. You should be able to choose the proper directory without much trouble. The individual files will have names that are the same as or similar to the file names listed when the files were hosted on ADV.

The files are listed as .zip files. If you left click/open the file, you will open it in your computer's temporary internet directory. Depending on how you have your computer set up, clicking on the .gpx will open the file with Mapsource so you can look at it. Remember, it is in your temporary internet files.

To save the file in one of your neatly filed directories, "left click/save" or "right click/save target as" and put it where you want to keep it.

Some of the files have an associated spreadsheet file with points of interest (Black Hills, Pony Express, etc). Same procedures apply.

Happy to have quick and easy access to these files again. :thumb
  10. Lance Hardwud

Lance Hardwud Long timer

Oddometer:
    Bryan,
    How much gravel is on this track? Looks like tomorrow is going to be a great day and thinking of taking the Misses and the Goldwing out on this.
    Thanks,
    Tim
  11. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    I don't think you want to wing this one.

Try this one instead.
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=193155
  12. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Replaced lost file.

Attached Files:

bmwroadsterca and Mark4931 like this.