Unexpected use from a GPS

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by KKop, Dec 9, 2007.

1. KKop

KKop ...and proud of it!

Oddometer:
    Decided to take long ride today to take advantage of the warm weather (70F+). Took the Cherohala Skyway, and found the weather to be slightly colder and nastier at higher elevations (51F and very foggy).

Found an unexpected use for my GPS: showing me which way the road turns up ahead when visibility is less than 50 yards :huh

[​IMG]
  2. paochow

paochow Bye bye desert

Oddometer:
    +1 I've even used mine to "cheat" and see upcoming hairpins and what not - even with good visibility. Similar to playing a video game. Just set the unit to 2D and scale to 300-500ft and follow the line.
  3. Jeffy

Jeffy Hmm...

Oddometer:
    I do that as well with my 2610. Even on clear day's it's helpful. Especially when you don't know the area.
  4. Frank Warner

Frank Warner Traveller

Oddometer:
    Yes it is handy to know there is a hair pin coming up on the blind bit of road in front of you .. but it does not tell you about the farmer in his tractor towing a combine harvester coming your way .. and you meet on the corner ... yep I've done that :eek1 .. ride according to the conditions, pilots have radar to help them - you don't.
  5. PhilSpace

PhilSpace The Ex-Gov

Oddometer:
    I do that in the twisties on unknown roads. Run in 3D mode and zoom in, gives you a good idea of which way things are going to break.
  6. ramjet

ramjet Long timer

Oddometer:
    That is a great feature - never thought of that. But hey, KKop please pull farther over to the side of the road next time you take a picture in the fog like that. Damn dude, don't want to see you rearended road kill :eek1 .
  7. mogwai

mogwai humorless prick

Oddometer:
    [old codger mode/on] What happens when you are riding beyond your vision & come upon an obstruction in the road? [old codger mode/off] :gerg
  8. PhilSpace

PhilSpace The Ex-Gov

Oddometer:
    One never rides so fast that he or she can not stop when an obstacle or hazard suddenly comes into view. :rolleyes

This capability merely expands your situational awareness, thereby allowing more attention to be paid to road conditions and other fury variables :yikes
  9. PhilSpace

PhilSpace The Ex-Gov

Oddometer:
    Aren't you sorry that you asked. :ksteve
  10. PhilSpace

PhilSpace The Ex-Gov

Oddometer:
    You want me to punt this off to CSM so you can play with Bert. :lol2
  11. Donster

Donster No trick too cheap

Oddometer:
    That's a great photo!