October ride @ the Arizona Strip

Discussion in 'The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...' started by STARSKEY, Sep 9, 2009.

1. STARSKEY

STARSKEY Wandering Soul

Oddometer:
    The "Arizona Strip" is not a gentleman's club. It's a vast chunk of BLM dirt south of St. George, Utah. And we're going there.

Starskey, Warp9man, Infidel, and others.....are going to be there for one final bash before the cold weather sets in. We plan to travel down on October 23, and return on the 27th.

The land yacht owned and navigated my Warp9man will be mission control, and if all goes well it will be parked somewhere south of St. George near the Arizona state line. We'll be close enough to St. George that those desiring a hotel room will not be far away, and those wanting to camp with us will not be THAT close to the city.

There is a LOT of VARIED land out there. There's something for the big bikes, and something for the small. The intent is for our large group to break into smaller groups every day, depending on bike size, riding style, and what everyone wants to see, then do our thing and return in the evening for comraderie, swapping lies, and other such tomfoolery.

Early on in the trip, I'd like to lead a group from mission control up and over Mount Trumball, to my favorite Grand Canyon overlook at Tuweep. This will be a great ride through the middle of the area, and thus giving everyone a taste of what is out there. I used to work out there, and I think there's something for everyone.

Indian petroglyphs, piney highlands, red rock canyons, historic sites, caves, white washes of gypsum...this place has something for everyone. For those that like to fish, there are a couple of decent resivoirs around. Additionally, St. George has motorcycle shops and other "stuff" so we can get parts, go to restraunts to eat, and enjoy other amenities.

If you think you'd like to join us, post so here and we'll get some details and organization going. If you can't be up there for the whole thing, we'd enjoy having you there as much as you can.

Check in here!
  2. The Walrus

The Walrus Gone and back again.

Oddometer:
    I'm thinking I can leave Friday night and return on Tuesday.........time off request goes into the hopper tomorrow.......:smile6
  3. jtaylor

jtaylor Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'll be watchin this, it's my back yard after all. Would love to show some peeps some of what the area has to offer and join in the fun! Any questions, just ask! Count me IN!
  4. dakardad

dakardad Not waiting for anyone

Oddometer:
    Sounds good to me. I'll get my time off request in tomorrow. What's your plan, ride or trailer down:D ???
  5. STARSKEY

STARSKEY Wandering Soul

Oddometer:
    jtaylor, it'll be nice to have a local along. I used to work with a wilderness rehab program out there, but it's 6 or 7 years since then so I have a vague recollection of things, but that's it.

dakardad, Warp9man will be pulling his trailer behind his motorhome and he and I are leaving here friday morning to get down there and set up before too late friday evening. I won't speak for space on his trailer, but he'll be posting soon on this thread and he may have some trailer space available.
  6. Clusby

Clusby Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right...
    I was camping in this area last March and really wished I had brought the DRZ along. My girlfriend has really been wanting to go back.... maybe this would be a good chance. Hows the weather in October? March was cold and super windy (we camped at Toroweep)

Chris
  7. Ryman

Ryman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I know Taylors in St. George......The one I'm thinking of is the used to be the best bud accross the street type, and is now the long haired rock star type who comes to the rescue with his old school, home made diesel burning work truck type when you have a flat tire on your motorcycle.

Which one are you? Big brother?

Oh ya I'd like to see the strip too.
    I'm working on a way to swing it.:D
  8. STARSKEY

STARSKEY Wandering Soul

Oddometer:
    Barring any unusual weather, October may be a bit crisp at night, but not bad. Most importantly, the days should be cool enough to wear all your ATGATT without suffering dehydration from sweat within the first hour.
  9. nwforester

nwforester Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Not sure if I will still be down there in Oct. - I am doing a job for Zion NP starting next week and the Uly is loaded in the work trailer. I love the strip area and all the riding possibilities down there. So I will keep checking in and if there are any "big" bikes crashing around between now and Oct. I would love to tag along. I have my sat phone and was going to do some single riding in the area whenever I get a free moment. Better than the wet NW!
  10. jtaylor

jtaylor Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The rockstar lives down the street from me, the bus will make it out if you get in a pinch, (one of the three, whichever happens to be working). I'm an import, but the real deal is just around the corner. Come on down!
  11. 1Percenter

1Percenter Adventurer Wannabe

Oddometer:
    If you don't mind a n00b on a KLR jr. I' think I can swing the time off and I would love the experience.
  12. STARSKEY

STARSKEY Wandering Soul

Oddometer:
    Sure, come along!

I might be confused, but wasn't it you and your son that Warp9man and I met on the Liberty to Avon pass a few months back?
  13. 1Percenter

1Percenter Adventurer Wannabe

Oddometer:
    That's me! I've put almost 2000 miles on the bike since then and I'm gaining more confidence. I'm also ready for some new scenery, I just wish I could afford a bigger bike. Maybe by next spring I'll have saved enough...
  14. The Walrus

Oddometer:
    Request approved.............:smile6 .............and bumpity for harcus and others.........

BTW.....I'm not making official plans since I don't trust the fates to let me plan anything........I went to a Greek play yesterday and totally agree that the gods are intent on playing with us lowly humans to amuse themselves.........:smooch
  15. STARSKEY

STARSKEY Wandering Soul

Oddometer:
    You speak much wisdom oh great one. The gods move us about like pawns on a chess board and chuckle greatly when one falls. Warp9man can no longer make this trip due to work, so our mobile command center is gone, along with my accomodations and trailering for the bike.

How is everyone else doing on transportation/accomodations?
  16. mung

mung Long timer

Oddometer:
    Have you got room for an 650r rider from Idaho ? Can you give us an idea of the rides you are planning ?
  17. Corky1

Corky1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Would you post location of Mission control when you figure it out??:dunno
    Thanks,
    Corky
  18. dakardad

dakardad Not waiting for anyone

Oddometer:
    Well I just got back from 8 days in So. Utardia. Wont be able to swing more time off for awhile. Have fun!:cry
  19. STARSKEY

STARSKEY Wandering Soul

Oddometer:
    Love to have you if you can figure out the logistics of getting there. I have no truck/trailer and having to beg, borrow, and posibly steal my way down there. If anyone has extra pickup bed or trailer space, please speak up. If we all work together it'll be cheaper and more fun for us all.

The only ride I have "planned" is from base camp (probably set up near where River Road crosses the Utah/Arizona border south of St. George), up and over Mount Trubull, on to Tuweep (and look over the edge of the Grand Canyon) and back again. Those that want to join for that will enjoy a nice ride on a good dirt road that will run from dessert, up into piney mountain, and back down again. It's also a good way to eyeball what all is out there and decide what else folks would like to see and do.

I expect we'll have enough guys and enough variety of bikes and riding styles that we will break off into smaller groups and enjoy some variety. I know I have no desire to fight my beast up and down a sandy wash, but some folks on smaller bikes probably have little interest in staying on graded roads. We can figure that out when we get there.

So, who is going down when? Would one of the locals like to get out there earlier and somehow establish our meeting spot? Unless I can find someone leaving earlier to get down there, I probably will not be there until late Friday night. Ultimately, I'd like to try and establish a single point for us all to meet at each morning to sort of organize group (don't want anyone riding alone and not coming back) and it'd be nice for us all to sort of check in when we get back and maybe even hang out for dinners together if so desired. I don't want to have to make a complex menu and meal assignments, but it sure is enjoyble to sit around talking about the days discoveries while choking down a half-warm can of beannie weannies and crushed potato chips.
  20. The Walrus

Oddometer:
    Hey, I thought youse was joining me......but if pluric made you an offer with that Porsche, I'd understand........:rolleyes