Suspension Testing In The Land of Gilbillies

Discussion in 'The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...' started by thump_co, Oct 6, 2014.

1. thump_co

thump_co ..ouch

Oddometer:
    60 degrees, no guns and no quads.. had the mountains all to ourselves. Where'd everyone go this weekend?

<iframe width="640" height="480" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/spfdsBIynXw?vq=hd720" hd="1" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  2. gee

gee Safety First

Oddometer:
    It was an "off" weekend for hunting, this weekend starts rifle season, wear your orange Kevlar vest just to be safe.
  3. minerbill

minerbill Emits Methane Supporter

Oddometer:
    Impressive!:bow
  4. VxZeroKnots

VxZeroKnots Long timer

Oddometer:
    Lets see the same setup do as well in sand whoops and I might consider being impressed. :deal
  5. thump_co

thump_co ..ouch

Oddometer:
    Thanks, Minerbill.

Been playing with oil heights, shims and clickers a lot the last couple months and think it's feeling pretty magic right now. Even pretty good on the track. Tis almost desert testing season though. Willing to wager a marg on a sand wash redux? :deal :evil
  6. Wannabeeuro

Wannabeeuro Tuner chic

Oddometer:
    Be careful, those woods settings will give you a rupture in the sand whoops...
  7. VxZeroKnots

VxZeroKnots Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah man for sure!

Does your 300 have a 4860? I might have to pick your brain about some stuff.
  8. MaParkerColo

MaParkerColo Long timer

Oddometer:
    Very nice indeed.

I have a question that occurs to me every time I watch one of the these helmet cam videos. I can't tell from the perspective change if you are simply shifting your position on the bike, or if you were lifting the front at times to get over some of the bigger stuff?

As someone who has been off the dirt for almost 3 decades and just getting back into it I try to pick up whatever I can from watching others. So, were you just plowing through at speed, or were you choosing lines, lightening the front, etc. Inquiring minds would like to learn :ear
  9. modette

modette Rider

Oddometer:
    Funny my Youtube channel recommended that video so I watched it this morning.

I was at EnduroX; one negative and why I never go to races I used a nice sunny day not being on the trail.

Sunday I rode, I found a nice log and practiced Pivot Turning. I got some good GoPro I'll need to process it and get it up. Sadly I was doing much better before I video'ed it. Anyways my goal is to get that down as routine riding Technic.
  10. 602

602 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Why not race it?
  11. thump_co

thump_co ..ouch

Oddometer:
    Game on! It's just getting chilly here and I'm already jonesin.

I have the 4860 MXMA PA's. Had the racetech gold vavles and bigger springs in them for years, but I've had the best luck recently by playing with the oil height. Seems running the oil higher has given me back a lot of mid-stroke firmness on these open baths that keeps the front up when whoopin, and then running the clickers pretty dang soft still keeps it tracking well on the small bumps and rocks. Probably would have been too firm for me years ago, but feels great now. Also found I don't like the feel of UHD front tubes, they definitely take away some of the small bump feel I had with regular HDs.

Little bit of both. I'm leaning forward on the bike to keep a fairly neutral climbing stance, but pulling up a bit on the bars to keep the front wheel light and try to keep the pegs pushing weight onto the rear. I have a couple buddies that could ride that stuff almost fully wheelied, but that's not me. Ideally I'll wheelie what I can and on the bigger stuff I'll try to pull up enough to just tire-tap it with the front and use it like a ramp. In basic terms - stand up, grip the bike with the legs/knees, lean back and throttle.
  12. modette

modette Rider

Oddometer:
    Good question...

More to come :evil
  13. flyingwombat

flyingwombat frozen dead guy

Oddometer:
    :clap

I saw you head down Magnolia on Sat. or Sun., couldn't catch you though. :D
  14. thump_co

thump_co ..ouch

Oddometer:
    You in a car? Because I know you would've ran me down easy on the XR. You shoulda been out there with us. PM me your #.
  15. flyingwombat

flyingwombat frozen dead guy

Oddometer:
    Yeah my brother was here and we had just finished scarfing down breakfast at Sundance. On Sat. we rode everything along Bunce and on Sunday made an expedition to the trestles on Rollins. Did not ride past any closed gates. :lol3
  16. Pariahtize

Pariahtize Misrepresented

Oddometer:
    Good riding. . .looks like the suspension is working well in the vid:clap
  17. thump_co

thump_co ..ouch

Oddometer:
    Long day in the saddle going around through Berthoud Pass, eh? :D

CGI
  18. mxjerm

mxjerm Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I want in on the sand whoop race for margs! Oh wait are we not calling them margs?
  19. thump_co

thump_co ..ouch

Oddometer:
    They are margs until Cross-Country gets involved. Tick him off though and you'll have to answer to Wannabeeuro for a rupture check. :eek1