KTM 950/990 no tbuffet windscreen

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by Dustodust, Nov 29, 2012.

1. Dustodust

Dustodust Long timer

Oddometer:
    This windscreen is shortened and laid back to speed up the airflow and send it overhead instead of dragging through like the stocker.. It is a huge improvement over the cut down stock rally style windscreen too. The angle of the rally screen is great for accomodating instruments , but the near vertical angle and narrow shape causes horrible buffeting and drag turbulence at higher speeds.
    The design is also completely out of the way when riding off road and is flexible for improved safety..

this version still allows minimal wind protection and improved airflow
    .....and it looks good too while cutting through the wind sport style instead of crashing through like the stock rally style

This sport short screen is crafted with the advantage of low resin to fiber reinforcement ratio using a rubber top infusion mold which eliminates air entrapment to increase strength and assures proper curing of the resin. It incorporates high flexibility Iso blend infusion resin with UV protection for the highest quality part possible .
    Extremly strong, flexible, lightweight with excellent fit and finish

In Gloss Black , black chemical resistant gelcoat with carbon fiber/ fiberglass $130 + shipping
    In all carbon fiber , gem quality carbon under glass with UV resistant resin $ 210 + shipping

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    In gloss black gelcoat
    tough durable chemical resistant finish
    this part is only 2-3 mm thick and very flexible with a later of carbon fiber to add additional strength
    [​IMG]

in Carbon Fiber , fabricated using 3 layers of 2x2 twill carbon fabric in clear UV resitant resin , tough durable chemical resistant finish , flexible and strong

[​IMG]

These parts are fabricated using the best materials and methods in the industry and are the result of a lot of research and consulting with industry professionals to be sure it is done right . No shortcuts or cheap materials used. Each part takes about 6 hours of careful craftsmanship to cast .cut and trim, and materials are expensive at about $45 in resin and fabric each
  2. ontherock

ontherock ne'er do well

Oddometer:
    Very nice product, thanks D2D, I'm happy with mine, much smoother, with the stock screen I felt like I was being beat by seagulls.
  3. Dustodust

Dustodust Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks OTR
    amazing how being laid back a little can make such a difference
    and you got one of the first experimental ones , the latest ones are much better quality ,the New ones are UV resin and infusion , the early ones were vacuum bagged epoxy resin
    Glad to hear it is holding up OK !
  4. mototahoe

mototahoe nevada adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    PM sent.......Thanks
  5. zgfiredude

zgfiredude Long timer

Oddometer:
    Looks great. Very interested.....would love to see a pic of the cockpit area behind the screen. And perhaps with a measurement of the height above the stock dash.......how much room is available for a GPS?

Thanks!!!!:freaky
  6. Dustodust

Dustodust Long timer

Oddometer:
    Here is a picture of the typical backside , (carbon or black). straight up line off dash panel yields 2 3/4" or 70mm to 10mm at front
    Not a lot of room for a GPS but the air sure is smoother coming over the top
    the backside is a fine textured surface carbon

[​IMG]
  7. Dustodust

Dustodust Long timer

Oddometer:
    It took me 3 months of failures and successes to finally figure out how to do this but now I made it happen
    I rode for several years with a hacked up stock screen that I cut and layed back to speed up air and stop the buffetting of the stock rally style windscreen
    I started out to just make one for myself but when I showed it around I got a lot of requests so I made some more
    the first ones I was making with a crude basic mold and they took about 30-40hours of post finishing to fix all the bubbles that normnally happen with vacuum bagging. So I had to stop and regroup and devise another method if I was to suceed
    so I set out to do resin infusion which produces a flawless part with no entrapped air ' the resin is pulled into the reinforcement fabric by vacuum
    I built the mold after making a positive plug using tooling gelcoat and special resin made for molds
    there is a careful process to make the mold
    the first one I made got ruined when I didnt cure it enough, got the part stuck to the mold and I had to start over and make a new mold

[​IMG]

I had a materials supplier make the tooling, a rubber top for the infusion
    it took weeks of failures to finally find a process to make gem quality carbon fiber parts now I have a dependable process and cut the time down to just a few hours to make a part
    the part is made by carefully making a sandwich with the fiber material , then a perfect vacuum is held with no leakdown , then the resin is infused through the fabric, here it is going in
    [​IMG]

when it comes out of the mold it looks like this
    [​IMG]

after the part is properly cured , it takes about an hour of skilled craftamnship to cut and shape and polish
    [​IMG]

Easy
    now hopefully I can sell a few now to recoup some material costs
  8. Dustodust

Dustodust Long timer

Oddometer:
    Here are some more being cut and polished
    [​IMG]
  9. harcus

harcus Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nice work, D2D! As a guy who spent many, many years doing this for aerospace, etc, these look nice. RFI certainly has it's place. :D
  10. Rootkiller

Rootkiller Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great work, My wife and I ride 950/990's and will be trying this out:deal
  11. Dustodust

Dustodust Long timer

Oddometer:
    thank you sir, that means a lot
    I suppose you appreciate the difficulty , I have heard even pre-preg and autoclave also takes some post finish
  12. R&R4adv

R&R4adv Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have recieved my screen and it looks fantastic, great vendor to deal with and great international postage, took 11 days to Australia concidering the time of year thats great.. Yet to go for a test ride will post pictures and report later.
  13. Rootkiller

Rootkiller Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just got mine also,Great looking screen.
    I will get a chance to try it next week!
  14. procycle

procycle ~Retired~

Oddometer:
    Now that you have the process down is there any chance you would add a taller version?
  15. Rodknee

Rodknee the post is mightier than the sword...

Oddometer:
    just got my screen from mr. dust, and it is awesome! excellent fit and it looks great! thank you sir! :freaky

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

one question, will an ezpass, ie automatic toll collector, work through the shield? i am thinking it will, just checking. thanks.
  16. Maniac28

Maniac28 Journalist

Oddometer:
    I love mine! Completely transforms the riding experience! No more buffeting. Now I can ride my bike in comfort. Thank you sir!
  17. procycle

procycle ~Retired~

Oddometer:
    Bump...

18. Dustodust

Dustodust Long timer

Oddometer:
    thanks for asking

I used the hacked down taped up stock short screen for years because I ride the 950 extreme off road and a stock tall screen is very scary at 90mph on a desert road when encountering a panic G-out, or when doing a hill climb, riding the 950 in sand also requires getting way forward

I am working on a larger version but I would not want to make the top part in all carbon. It would be clear Lexan because safety is a big concern of mine I dont think it should restrict view
    I did a lot of testing and found that wider is what works better than taller for protection from the wind
    a dilemma I have for a taller design is that
    I also believe that tall is excellent for on hiway but for off road should be able to be folded down out the way for off road safety, and that effects the "pretty factor", which seems to be what most people want . Personally my priority is OFF ROAD function and safety
    I just believe the 950 is designed for 50% off road and it belongs off road so I just cant bring myself to design something for on road for this machine, its hard enough for me to strive for pretty
    Im also sad that KTM cancelled the 950 SE and is moving more towards the street
  19. HeatXfer

HeatXfer Bad knees

Oddometer:
    ~Bump~

Is there anyone out there 6'4" or taller who is currently using this beautiful piece of art? I'd like to know how well it works at speed: i.e. 80mph (flow of traffic when I'm the freeway).

I've got the $ burning a hole in my pocket, but I'd like some assurance that, besides looking phenomenal, it will smooth the air flow around my head. Sorry if this question has been asked already in other threads.

BTW - as a fluke I tried the "Super-Visor". Granted it looks a little hokey, but it has quieted the wind noise down on my street helmet to almost nothing with ear plugs and considerably reduced helmet buffeting with the stock windscreen.
  20. catalina38

catalina38 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm 6'3" and on a tall renazco seat and have clean full air flow on my upper body and head. It's nice in good weather but when its cold out I really feel it.