The XT350 thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Burtonridr, Sep 26, 2007.

1. Burtonridr

Burtonridr Wanderlost

Oddometer:
    Use this thread to ask questions,share tips, share good links, photos & stories about yamaha's great little XT350.

Bike Specifications for quick reference:

<table width="580" align="left" border="1" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tbody><tr><td valign="top" width="25%">Displacement:</td><td>346.00 ccm (21.11 cubic inches)</td></tr><tr><td valign="top" width="25%">Engine type:</td><td>Single cylinder</td></tr><tr><td valign="top" width="25%">Stroke:</td><td>4</td></tr><tr><td valign="top">Carburetor:
    </td><td valign="top">24mm Teikei
    </td></tr><tr><td valign="top" width="25%">Power:</td><td>27.00 HP (19.7 kW)) @ 8000 RPM</td></tr><tr><td valign="top" width="25%">Compression:</td><td>9.0:1</td></tr><tr><td valign="top" width="25%">Bore x stroke:</td><td>86.0 x 59.6 mm (3.4 x 2.3 inches)</td></tr><tr><td valign="top" width="25%">Valves per cylinder:</td><td>4</td></tr><tr><td valign="top" width="25%">Fuel control:</td><td>DOHC</td></tr><tr><td valign="top" width="25%">Cooling system:</td><td>Air</td></tr><tr><td valign="top" width="25%">Gearbox:</td><td>6-speed</td></tr><tr><td valign="top" width="25%">Transmission type
    final drive:
    </td><td>Chain</td></tr><tr align="center"><th colspan="2">Physical measures</th></tr><tr><td valign="top" width="25%">Weight incl. oil, gas, etc:</td><td>150.0 kg (330.7 pounds)</td></tr><tr><td valign="top">Dry Weight:
    </td><td valign="top">262 pounds
    </td></tr><tr><td valign="top">Overall Height:
    </td><td valign="top">88.2"
    </td></tr><tr><td valign="top">Overall Width:
    </td><td valign="top">34.1"
    </td></tr><tr><td valign="top">Overall Length:
    </td><td valign="top">47.6"
    </td></tr><tr><td valign="top">Ground Clearance:
    </td><td valign="top">10.8"
    </td></tr><tr><td valign="top">Wheel Base:
    </td><td valign="top">55.9"
    </td></tr><tr><td valign="top">Seat Height:
    </td><td valign="top">33.7"
    </td></tr><tr align="center"><th colspan="2">Chassis and dimensions</th></tr><tr><td valign="top">Front Fork
    </td><td valign="top">Telescopic forks w/ 10" of travel
    </td></tr><tr><td valign="top">Rear Shock
    </td><td valign="top">Single Rear Shock w/ 8.6" of travel
    </td></tr><tr><td valign="top" width="25%">Front tyre dimensions:</td><td>3.00-21 </td></tr><tr><td valign="top" width="25%">Rear tyre dimensions:</td><td>110/80-18 </td></tr><tr><td valign="top" width="25%">Front brakes:</td><td>Single disc</td></tr><tr><td valign="top" width="25%">Rear brakes:</td><td>Expanding brake</td></tr><tr align="center"><th colspan="2">Speed and acceleration</th></tr><tr><td valign="top" width="25%">Top speed:</td><td>135.0 km/h (83.9 mph)</td></tr><tr align="center"><th colspan="2">Other specifications</th></tr><tr><td valign="top" width="25%">Fuel capacity:</td><td>12.00 litres (3.17 gallons)</td></tr></tbody></table>
  2. Burtonridr

Burtonridr Wanderlost

Oddometer:
  3. Burtonridr

Burtonridr Wanderlost

Oddometer:
  4. Truckin_Thumper

Truckin_Thumper low profile

Oddometer:
    Corky has some decent info, but nothing like what is needed, seems these XT's are getting more poplular.
    Saw one go on fleabay for a hair over 2500.00 2000, 2000 miles, it was a nice specimen. Oh, this was just a day or two ago.

I can help out a bit, I have wrenched enough on mine to help others out.

For a good daigram and part numbers, start here
    http://www.xtremepowersports.com/OEM_Parts/oem_parts.html

Mine. '99 all stcok, runs like a champ and 8300 miles
  5. Burtonridr

Burtonridr Wanderlost

Oddometer:
    Truckin, you know of a way to protect a saddle bag across the rear of the bike from the muffler?
  6. Truckin_Thumper

Oddometer:
    You'll have to make yer own frame, make room for an aluminum heat shield.
    Thats the only way.
  7. Burtonridr

Burtonridr Wanderlost

Oddometer:
    Thats what I figured... the xt225 stuff doesnt work on ours huh?

Anyone know how to make the thing easier to kick start?

Mine is an absolute bear to start. Maybe its just me, maybe it will just take time to get used to its quirks. But it also seems like it is lacking fuel when cruising at about 4k rpm. Im gonna pull the spark plug tonight and see what the crystal ball tells me.

Anyone know if the electrical system can handle heated grips?

Anyone know how to re-wrap the generator to put out more watts?

Is the thing I read true, does the xt350 generator put out around 28v and/or cause problems with the electrical system?
  8. Burtonridr

Burtonridr Wanderlost

Oddometer:
    Is it normal for the headlight to flash with the turn signal? It seems like its because of lack of watts or something?
  9. Fauster

Fauster BACON AKBAR!

Oddometer:
    Ahhhh, my first DS, first thumper, first....bike!

Mine was a '94 and I put 5000 trouble-free miles on 'er.
    [​IMG]

My experience with the charging system was that it was anemic. The headlight would dim at idle. And starting could be a real bear. Surprisingly, it was most finicky when it was warm (not hot). It needed just the right amount of choke or else I would kick start myself into exhaustion.

Still....good memories.
  10. Truckin_Thumper

Oddometer:
    Plugs
    Airbox and Clean the carb (use ALOT of SeaFoam)

BTW, anyone got a SuperTrapp or similar they wanna sell? :ear
  11. Burtonridr

Burtonridr Wanderlost

Oddometer:
  12. Burtonridr

Burtonridr Wanderlost

Oddometer:
    so does anyone know if the electrical system can handle heated grips? They would be soooo nice in a month or two
  13. R'oli

R'oli Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am looking for a Suzuki DR 350, but can not find one, how does the XT 350 compare..?

Thanks
  14. Jeff@TheQuadShop

Jeff@TheQuadShop TAT survivor, TOI T1 finisher

Oddometer:
    The XT350 is a nice bike but the DR is better. Better suspension, better power, later models came with e-start, more aftermarket support....
  15. TheRiderman

TheRiderman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I just bought my XT350 today. It is really fun. I have never rode any other bikes, but the 350 is just fun. I have not had it much out of 2nd gear on my farm but it has alot of power.

Heres a pic.

[​IMG]
    CoatsEast likes this.
  16. TTKlaus

TTKlaus Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The headlight will always dim at idle because it's run directly off the magneto on AC. If you switch to a led taillight and turnsignals, led instrument lightbulbs you might have enough Watts left over for heated grips. You could also send the stator to Ricky Stator or Baja Designs to get rewound for higher output.
    Make sure the auto decompression cable has 2-3mm free play at the end of the exhaust valve lever to work properly for easy starting. Off course the engine has to be tuned properly, good plug, valve clearance right, aircleaner clean and the carb jetted properly. It also helps tremendously to run synthetic oil in it. :deal

TTKlaus
  17. Burtonridr

Burtonridr Wanderlost

Oddometer:
    This weekend was such a tease! I gotta get the leak fixed on my xt350 so I can go riding :ricky
  18. Burtonridr

Burtonridr Wanderlost

Oddometer:
    Here is my XT before going on a ride last weekend:D

[​IMG]

and a few pics from the ride :thumb

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Hairy pie, RonMax86 and CoatsEast like this.
  19. FatboyXT

FatboyXT Adventurer

Oddometer:
    YEH, a thread for us lonely/lowly XT350 riders!!!

Yes, it is true, the XT350 does nothing well. No electric start, poor suspension, weak motor, no aftermarket ect!

But it is a pretty good compromise for some. You can but some miles on the freeway, hit some tame singletrack, blast down some twisty blacktop all while getting 50-60mpg without hating any of it and all the while having under $2k invested and paying $125 a year for insurance.

A buddy and me rode ours from San Diego to La Paz, Baja. Then hopped on the ferry for the boat ride to the Mexico mainland, docking at Matazlan (sp?). Then we rode down the Pacfic coast to a point about 125 miles south of Acapulco. From there we then headed inland and turned north to Mexico City and from there back towards San Diego along the gulf.

We did this by camping almost the whole trip with only one bike related problem besides a couple of flat tires and the limited fuel range causing us few tense moments. Such as bumming some gas off of a Telephone Lineman and having the Polica tell me to siphon some gas out of the totaled Toyota pickup before they hauled it away!

I will post up some minor mods I did to help it run better a little later.
  20. FatboyXT

FatboyXT Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Here are somethings I did to help the suspension a little...remember there isn't much you can do with out spending big bucks!

Front forks...Tear down, clean, refill with a good 15wt oil and use about 330cc of oil. Stock is 10wt at 319cc. Then I run about a 2" spacer for a little more preload. To much preload and your front end will be skating around. More oil helps with bottoming, thicker oil helps with slowing down the travel (rebound to). I run the forks flush with the top triple clamp. A set of stiffer springs would make a world of difference. No air for those of you with air caps.

Rear Suspension. Not much I could do there. I did move the clip on the spring to its lowest position to get a little more preload. From what I have seen on most XT's is that the clip that holds the top of the spring in place is in the middle of the three possible positions. A stiffer spring and better valving is needed here.

My goal is to find a cheap TT and swap suspension.