Carrying Deodorant

Discussion in 'Trip Planning' started by Jamie Z, Nov 30, 2011.

1. Jamie Z

Jamie Z I'm serious. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Since we're going through a cold snap, I have a question about warm-weather travel.

What, if any, deodorant do y'all carry on your bike during a long trip? I've tried the various sample-sized deodorant packages you find at the pharmacy, but have had problems with them melting when the temps are in the 80s and 90s.

I've looked for small cans of spray-on deodorant without luck.

I like my gear to be small and light, but I can't find a good alternative to the big stick of deodorant in my bathroom.

Jamie
  2. Grinnin

Grinnin Forever N00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    I use a mineral-salt "rock" at home and take a year-old "rock" when I travel. The one I carry is about the size and shape of half a golf ball.

I find these rocks (some call them crystals) work for me. They irritate some people's skin and for other people they are not strong enough. By wetting the thing I can get enough salt on my skin to keep the odor-causing bacteria at bay.

EDIT: A new "rock" is a bit bigger than a golf ball. It's easier to hold, since it's used wet. For me a new one lasts just over a year for about $10 or $12.
  3. freeflow

freeflow get in or go in

Oddometer:
    gel sticks seem to hold up to heat for me...even he sample sizes. don;t last as long, but don;t melt either.
  4. Montek

Montek Eternal Noob

Oddometer:
    Plus one on the rocks and crystals. All I use. They do not melt, I purchased a small travel size 2 years ago, its still in my kit, only about half used up.

Monte
  5. acejones

acejones Long timer

Oddometer:
    Jamie,
    I'msouth of you on the coast. I've never had any problems with gel sticks melting. Maybe it's a brand specific problem.
  6. Mark Manley

Mark Manley Long timer

Oddometer:
    What's deodorant? :eek1
  7. freeflow

freeflow get in or go in

Oddometer:
    ask a dentist :lol3
  8. The Bigfella

The Bigfella Big Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Deodorant? On a bike trip? Nah
  9. Lone Rider

Lone Rider Registered User

Oddometer:
    If put on the dash of a vehicle, left in the sunlight for a long time...yeah.

Stick it down in your bag/clothing/whatever. I've experienced deo melting in the past. Just stick it inside a sock, or use some other type of insutaltion. The cheap Speed Stick (original boring green) deo, not the anti pers, has always worked best for me.

Big, regular sticks of the above, no sample sizes...:D
  10. AviatorTroy

AviatorTroy Following my front fender

Oddometer:
    Hysterical! I knew this topic would go downhill fast! :rofl
  11. snohobo

snohobo Supermoto hippy

Oddometer:
    Another one for the hippy rock. Travel size $3

Though Ive basically stopped using it. No sense in masking the inevitable.

[​IMG]
  12. Kurt

Kurt Long timer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
  13. Jamie Z

Oddometer:
    I don't have a clue what this is, but thanks for the heads up. I might look into it.

I differentiate between "stick" deodorant and "gel" deodorant. I generally use the stick variety at home. That's what I've tried to carry on the road, but they tend to melt. I never thought about using gel, as I'm not a fan of that cold gooey feeling when I put it on, but it probably solves the issue with melting.
    As above, perhaps gel is the way to go. This past summer I took a couple of trips with 100°F temps and found my deodorant stick had melted inside the packagine, rendering it pretty useless. It might be related to brand, as I only tried one brand, though I can't remember brand that was now.

Jamie
  14. Jamie Z

Oddometer:
    I went that route for a while... but after camping out for a few days I get a little self-conscious about being around people when I can smell my own bad body odor.

I might try a different brand, though I can't imagine what difference it would make to use the smaller sample size. It's a space-saving measure. I keep a pretty small toiletry bag which is already generally stored outside of any direct sun or heat. It's just that sitting in my luggage all day in 90°F and 100°F temps, insulation isn't going to do much to help.

:dunno Seems pretty helpful to me. Thanks for all the replies and suggestions.

And I realize that discussing pros and cons of deodorant is a first-world problem. I recognize the triviality of which deodorant to use.

Jamie
  15. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    embrace your inner hippy, dude.
  16. Grinnin

Grinnin Forever N00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    (About rock/crystal)
    You'll probably have to look in your local natural food store or food co-op. snohobo uses one in a plastic case. I get the ones in blue or gray drawstring bags.
  17. ben2go

ben2go Long timer

Oddometer:
  18. duncanfc

duncanfc Adventurer

Oddometer:
    1 Buy baby wipes
    2 Buy ziplock bags
    3 Put babywipes in ziplock
    4 Use one at a time for when you need to feel "fresh"
    5 Wipes have multiple uses aside from odor control so no need to bring TP along
    6 Ziplock bags (bigger sizes) keep clothes moisture and dust free, and when full of ice and placed on stomache, keeps you cool when it is hot and traffic is slow.
  19. castle-of-teck

castle-of-teck DL1000 A

Oddometer:
    Shell Rotella will do just perfect :evil
  20. Throttlemeister

Throttlemeister Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I always take a can of Right Guard along, works good in the boots too, excelllent for potato cannon fuel, flame thower when used with a lighter and if need be an improvised explosive device:wink: I don' skimp on having my right guard:deal I hate roll ons, they matt my underarm hairs into dreadlock:puke1

Easy to carry as chain lube and won't melt either, it pays to carry your RG:lol3