KTM 640 Adventure owners, sign in please...

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by creeper, Feb 20, 2004.

1. creeper

creeper Still alive...

Oddometer:
    Hi ya' kids!

Just wanted to get a count on 640 Adventure (and any LC4) owners out there. If you've got one, say hi and show us a shot of your bike and/or the trickiest thing you got goin' on. If your bike is heavily modified, give us a mod spec list.

And, last but not least, any commentary you would like to include. Keep it short if possible, no long boring "I was born a poor black child" stuff.
    When this thread runs out of steam, we'll have a nice little semi-accurate list for reference.

If you don't have a photo at this time, you can always edit one in later.

Most of you have already seen my bike elsewhere, so I'll not subject you to more of the same shit.
    Doesn't have to be a off road bike... a supermoto, a road racer, a chainsaw... if its LC4, it goes here! :nod

Creeper

For them just looking for the first time... yes, this thread is 8 years old.
  2. mikektm

mikektm Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've got an '03 640 Adventure that i picked up new in september. Only mods are the carb rejetting, modified stock exhaust, and MT-21 tires. Also some fresh scratches for character. Awsome bike, gets better every time I ride! Sorry no picture yet, but other than the tires it still looks stock (For now).
  3. cocoliso

cocoliso Hijo de la Chingada

Oddometer:
    Manchester UK, Living Guadalajara, Mexico
    "I was born a poor white child,.........

"In them days, we were glad to have the price of a cup of tea."

"Aye, a cup of cold tea"

"Without milk or sugar"

"Or tea"

"In a filthy cracked cup."

"We never used to have a cup. We used to have to drink out of a rolled up newspaper."

"The best we could manage was a sock or a piece of damp cloth."

"But ye know, we were happy in those days, though we were poor ..."

"Because we were poor. My old Dad used to say to me 'Money doesn't buy you happiness'."

"He was right. I was happier then and I had nothing! We used to live in this tiny old house with great big holes in the roof."

"House, you lived in a house? We used to live in one room, all twenty-six of us, no furniture, half the floor was missing, and we're all huddled together in one corner for fear of falling."

"You were lucky to have a room! We used to have to live in the corridor!"

"Oooooh, we used to dream of living in a corridor. It would have been a palace to us. We used to live in an old water tank on a rubbish [heap]. We got woken up every morning to having a load of rotting fish dumped all over us. House? Uh!"

"Oh, when I said house I meant a hole in the ground covered by a piece of twig. It was a house to us."

"We were evicted from our hole in the ground. We had to go and live in the lake!"

"You were lucky to have a lake! There were a hundred and fifty of us living in a small shoebox in the middle of the road."

"Cardboard box?"

"Aye"

"You were lucky. We lived for three months in a brown paper bag in a septic tank. We used to have to get up at six in the morning, clean the bag, eat a crust of stale bread, go to work down the mill fourteen hours a day, week in, week out, and when we would go home, dad would thrash us to sleep with his belt."

"Look, [sherry?], we used to have to get out of the lake at three o'clock in the morning, clean the lake, eat a handful of hot gravel, go to work for twenty hours at the mill every day for a tuppence a month, come home, and dad would beat us around the head and neck with a broken bottle ... if we were lucky!"

"Well, we had it tough. We used to have to get up out of the shoebox at twelve o'clock at night, and lick the road clean with our tongues. We had one handful of freezing cold gravel, work at the mill for twenty-four hours a day for four bits every six years, and when would get home, our dad would slice into us with a bread knife."

"Right!"

"I had to get up in the morning at ten o'clock at night, half an hour before I went to bed, eat a lump of dry poison, work twenty-nine hours a day down at the mill, and when we got home, our dad would kill us and dance about on our graves singing Hallelujah!"

"You can't tell the young people of the day that. They won't believe you."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BUT ANYWAY, I got the beans together to buy my bike. Here's my Adventure.
    (0 mods, its bog-standard)

Attached Files:

4. creeper

creeper Still alive...

Oddometer:
    cocoliso my friend,
    If I said to you "Cake or Death?" would you please be a dear and chose Death? :evil :evil :evil

Nice "Photo with large doggie" though.

Cheers,
    Creeper
  5. Drif10

Drif10 Accredited Jackass

Oddometer:
    That was just covered here.

You might just want to add to it.
  6. creeper

creeper Still alive...

Oddometer:
    Oops... I forgot. Oh well, time to back off the pain killers... again.

But, the up side is the lovely short story by cocoliso. Worked his fingers to bloody nubbins he did.:cob

Creeper
  7. Loadedagain

Loadedagain making chips

Oddometer:
    i aint listing the mods again............ everything! except dual hid lights. only have one of them :evil akropovich on the way.

[​IMG]
    Bobby mac and Hueyflyer61 like this.
  8. fasteddy

fasteddy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Southern Ontario, Canada ( Niagara Peninsula )
    No picture yet!! Should be getting my new Adventure next week! Can't wait!

Fast____
  9. inte

inte neophyte serendipity

Oddometer:
    Picked it up last year one a few (but choice) mods:
    - suspension race tuned/resprung by Precision Concepts
    - KTM Gualdi racing exhaust
    - alum KTM boxes (not pictured ... sort of an anti-mod - I bought the luggage, but there were missing parts - I just got them in the mail a couple days ago after a 3+ month wait ??)

The other anti-mod is the speedo hasn't been working since I bought it despite replaceing the cable/sensor - I just got the replacement unit this week.

I could describe the bike, or you could just pick up the March 2004 issue of DirtBike & look on page 70 - I bought this bike off Larry Rosseler after he used it for this photo shoot.

[​IMG]
  10. Mack

Mack Gone, but never forgotten. RIP, Mack...

Oddometer:
    Great magazine, I finally subscribed. The last few months has seen coverage of everything from the 300EXC, 625 SXC, 450EXC, and the interesting article on your bike, and the 660 Rallye. http://www.dirtbikemagazine.com/

I think it would be very interesting to ride your bike, and a stock ADV back to back. So many different ways to go about revalving and spring rates. It Sounds like your setup is ideal.

Did you get this through KTM, or Touratech? I'd like your opinions when you get it all set up. I'm 50/50 on my Zega's, but the left one is almost two inches farther out then I feel it should be, and the right side is 3/4 to an 1" farther out, not to mention the setup really should be two 35L, IMHO, rather then the 41L on the right hand side. If I had known I would have ditched my R/H 41L for a 35L. When you add all the above together it's almost an extra 6 inches of width. But for solo tours, security, and rainy days, I think they will be worth it. Though, I will be using a soft bag setup like RapidTwins on the more technical trips, I find I pack way too much in the Zegas for this kind of riding, and the Katoom doesn't like it. Cheers, Mack
  11. Ninjak

Ninjak Sasquatch

Oddometer:
    2002 AdvR I picked up in February of 2003. Dealer wanted it out of his showroom so he was willing to deal.

No mods yet. My daughter is eating up all my toy money. :D
    Besides, the damn thing is better than I am as it is.
  12. Tim

Tim Long timer

Oddometer:
    '02 Adventure with the following mods:

Touratech IMO 100R300 fitted in addition to OE display
    Touratech Head Light protector
    Sommer airbox door
    Carb rejetted (Keihin FCR on its way)
    SXC Silencer (full Akrapovic on its way)
    Sommer brake pedal extender
    Ally frame guards
    Scotoiler
    Autocom intercom
    MotoSport panniers
    Touratech LED rear light unit
    KTM short "Enduro" rear mudguard
    SRC rubber turn indicators
    Custom made bash plate with boxes
    '03 seat
    Airhawk seat pad with Aerostich sheepskin pad
    Garmin 176C on Touratech/RAM mount
    Heavy duty fork and shock springs
    KTM tank bag
    KTM rear rack bag
    Magura hydraulic clutch conversion
    Scotts steering damper with weld on post
    KTM Rallye foot pegs

Think that's about it!
  13. creeper

creeper Still alive...

Oddometer:
    The judicious application of mud is what really sets it apart... kind of like a mud covered stripper, it only makes it better. :thumb

Creeper
  14. Loadedagain

Loadedagain making chips

Oddometer:
    i love my touratech/ktm cases. mine are the factory ones. yes they are wide and can be a pain when getting on and off the bike. in traffic they give you way more presence and are not wide enough to cause issues lane splitting. all in all two thumbs up :thumb :thumb

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Hueyflyer61 likes this.
  15. creeper

creeper Still alive...

Oddometer:
    Ya' know, people always give me shit about how clean my bike is but... bike and garage floor too!!!
    Look everybody, it's not just me!!!

Creeper
  16. Loadedagain

Loadedagain making chips

Oddometer:
    cleaning the bike :evil

[​IMG]
    Hueyflyer61 likes this.
  17. creeper

creeper Still alive...

Oddometer:
    My:tush

Creeper
  18. Mack

Mack Gone, but never forgotten. RIP, Mack...

Oddometer:
    Loaded, For the record I do like the Zega case, they are nice kit. But, IMHO for the price, I feel the damn things should be perfect. How much of a gap do you have between the inside of the left rack, and the bikes plastic side panel?

Do your pannier racks have the mounts on the ID of the hoops, for the quick release mounts of the "950" plastic saddle bags? (I ask as I suspect KTM/TT may have moved out the this style of rack to keep the plastic cases further from the exhaust.) I know that the size of the KTM OEM Supertrap silencer, and it's "black rubber spacers" push the rear L/H plastic out a bit relative to my SXC silencer. But the two inch gap between the inside of the rack, and the plastic is absurd to me. When you add up all the dimesions in total listed in my previous post, I'm pushing so much more through the air then I feel I need to be. I would expect it's actually effecting my top end and mileage a touch. It's going to take a lot of cutting and welding to get things moved in, but eventually........ Cheers, Mack
  19. Loadedagain

Loadedagain making chips

Oddometer:
    true true.... the clearance is a bit excessive. has never bothered me though. also.... i can feel huge differences with the cases on when i cross windy bridges (three on my old commute through vancouver). the bike rides much smoother without them... thats for sure.
  20. kurtw

kurtw Child of the Wind

Oddometer:
    Glad you started this thread...I've been waiting for a chance to post and show off my new Adventure. Long time lurker, first time poster... :D

Anyway, I'd been mulling over the idea of a dual-sport/adv bike for a while and finally grabbed this '03 640 Adv. It had been sitting in the shop for a while tempting me. Right after I bought it in December, the dealer sold his last one and immediately got a few more requests for them that he couldn't fill...too bad.

So far, this is what I've done to it...probably all for a while:
    • dual-star grip heaters
    • side stand (KTM)
    • tank bag (nice item...but I don't use it on all rides since it gets in the way sometimes)
    • 157.5 main jet, 47.5 pilot jet, raised the needle
    • DIY airbox cover
    • added 6 disks to the exhaust (may experiment with fewer to see if I get more low end grunt)
    • EBC semi-metalic brake pads
    • Widder batter cable/connector for my 'lectric vest (I seem to be able to get away with grip heaters and at least medium power to the vest via electronic thermostat w/o any battery drain issues on chilly highway rides)

It really smoothed out and woke up the engine to do those mods. Right now I have an oil leak coming from somewhere near the front sproket that I haven't tracked down. It's just enough to keep my chain well lubed and make a mess. I'll probably bug the mechanic at the dealer next week about it unless I can locate it. The filter cover seems tight enough.

Anyway, here are a few shots...First ride, December:
    [​IMG]

Breaking 'er in:
    [​IMG]

A few days ago...taking in the view on a day with actual sunshine (toggle to the left of the speedo is the grip heaters):
    [​IMG]

Other bikes are a KTM 450 EXC (not dual-sported), and a Triumph Sprint ST.