UFC 158 gsp v diaz

Discussion in 'Sports' started by NZDave, Mar 10, 2013.

1. NZDave

NZDave Adventurer

Oddometer:
  2. vettex2

vettex2 X-Racer

Oddometer:
    I hope Diaz wins
  3. NZDave

NZDave Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I think it's more likely that Anderson Silva will fight John Jones at some point.

I'd like to see GSP v Silva as well but I dont think it will happen, GSP has said in the past that he'd take the fight but would need time to bulk up.

Looking forward to this Saturday though, Diaz has been trash talking up a storm :D
  4. mike54

mike54 You don't get me

Oddometer:
    Dana White has been doing his share of talking too. Sometimes he reminds me of a HS cheerleader. "Did you hear what so and so said about you?" :lol3 I know he's got to promote the fights and build interest but maaaaan.

My prediction. GSP will submit Diaz in round 2.
  5. jdiaz

jdiaz .

Oddometer:
    Men's UFC is done, now that the chicks are getting so popular. I'll guess that the cards will be female-only within 3 years. :deal
  6. PoundSand

PoundSand Long timer

Oddometer:
    not likely. the women were popular in strikeforce, but that didn't make the men any less popular... not to mention there's not nearly the same depth of talent in the women's ranks.
  7. NewYorkLuke

NewYorkLuke Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    GSP vs Silva is a bad fight but Silca vs Jones is a really dumb move for Silva, he cant gain the weight he would need to copete agaist Jones. Silva is a much better fighter but jones size would be too much, as it has been for guys who fight 205 all the time. GSP said he would only fight in his weigh class said he cant yo yo weight lik silva, but thats too small of a class for silva. Both giant money makers but dont think either would be as exciting as they have been hyped up to be.
  8. Wannabee

Wannabee Survivor of Reality

Oddometer:
    Diaz is a brawler .. and a shit talker . GSP will dismantle him just like he has been doing to his other opponents. People say GSP isnt a fight finisher .. why would he finish them when its way more fun punishing some douchebag for running his mouth ?
  9. NZDave

NZDave Adventurer

Oddometer:
    And thats pretty much how it played out, Diaz's rants and shit talking didnt make GSP angry and he stuck to his gameplan and did what he does best :D

Good card, Hendricks vs Condit was f**king great, and showed how legit Hendricks is, and Dana has just said that Hendricks gets the next shot at GSP's belt.
  10. Mr_Gone

Mr_Gone Viking Berserker

Oddometer:
    My only wish is that GSP would go all-out and actually try to finish a fight. He hasn't finished a fight in years. He wins, and he usually dominates. But if he took some chances I think he could be a legend.

Right now, he's another Matt Hughes — talented and dominant, but he just grinds out wins in unspectacular fashion. I think he's playing it safe, following the safe game plan, and banking the fight checks.

Then again, I have no clue how hard it is to fight the guys that GSP has beaten, so I really don't know what the hell I'm talking about. I'm just a spectator.
  11. mike54

mike54 You don't get me

Oddometer:
    :lol3 I always have to laugh when the crowd starts booing the fighters when they're in a clinch. It may not be really exciting to watch but for the fighters it can be exhausting.
    I've wrestled and I've boxed. Well I boxed until I got hit in my first sparring match. My 12 year old brain said screw this. :D I have an idea how difficult it can be to try to control some one who's trying to control you. What I don't understand is how those guys can take some of the shots they take. It's a tough sport.
  12. vettex2

vettex2 X-Racer

Oddometer:
    fights were a serious yawn......:cry
  13. Mr_Gone

Mr_Gone Viking Berserker

Oddometer:
    I boxed for three years in college. Getting hit in the head doesn't hurt. Getting hit in the body will stay with your for a week or so.

I agree, MMA is a ridiculously tough sport. You gotta be tough to fight like that.

Maybe I'm asking for the moon... exciting fights every time. I just think if GSP took a chance, he'd end his fights quickly and in spectacular fashion. That's what I want to see. I want to see every fighter go into the cage and fight like it's life or death instead of playing it safe, and I think (but, obviously, don't know) that GSP is playing it safe in his fights.
  14. Mr_Gone

Mr_Gone Viking Berserker

Oddometer:
    +1

Great fight.
  15. mike54

mike54 You don't get me

Oddometer:
    I remember seeing stars when I was 12, even with the head gear and huge gloves. :lol3

I know what you mean. I think GSP fights to win. I've seen a lot of fights where one fighter seems to be ahead and comes charging in only to be knocked out by a 'lucky' shot. I didn't see this fight so I don't know how it went except by the highlights and reports. I really expected GSP to take Diaz to the ground and submit him because he's so good at that. I really didn't expect it to go 5 rounds. Maybe GSP decided the fans don't get their money's worh with early submissions? :D
  16. Mr_Gone

Mr_Gone Viking Berserker

Oddometer:
    A punch to the head will definitely have you seeing stars, but it doesn't really hurt. Well, broken noses hurt, but after the fourth or fifth broken nose it's not so bad. With a headshot, your thoughts just feel fuzzy and slow and you feel light.

I was only knocked out once, and never hit the canvas... I just went blind for about three or four seconds and the referee realized what had happened and stepped in and saved me. I was still standing, but I was definitely out. The next punch would have definitely put my lights out completely.
  17. Veteran Noob

Veteran Noob Astoundingly Unremarkable

Oddometer:
    I had my first bout as an 11 yr old. Two rounds. Don't remember too much except after the first round my coach saying I was doing great. My head hurt, my ribs hurt, hell I hurt all over. After the fight I remember my head hurt so much I thought it was going to explode, I was on the verge of puking and I wanted to cry. Funny thing is, I won! If winning hurt this much, how bad does losing feel?

After a couple more fights, things settled down and weren't such a blur and my defense was much more effective but, even at three rounds, a good bout would stay with you for a few days.

Endless respect for fighters, but no envy!
  18. neanderthal

neanderthal globeriding wannabe

Oddometer:
    Here, but lost. Am I lost if i know i'm here?
    I can't stand shit talkers. Glad GSP sorted him out.

And did you see the cheap shots he tried to take after the bell at the end of the first and second rounds.....?

Chump!
  19. Mr_Gone

Mr_Gone Viking Berserker

Oddometer:
    I think he tried to take a cheap shot at the end of the 3rd round also.

I'm glad GSP won, also.

I don't wish anyone ill will, but I hope someone helps Diaz figure out his life. He really seems unequipped to live in the real world. He's made some money, but paid no taxes. No taxes!!! How does that happen? Who's advising him? He is undoubtedly talented, and probably works as hard as anyone in MMA, but when his career finally does come to an end, he's going to have a very difficult transition. Maybe he'll be a gym rat forever.
  20. Hodag

Hodag Native

Oddometer:
    jdiaz?