Ducati MultiStrada 1200

Discussion in 'Moto Bellissima: All Other Dualsports' started by Paulvt1, Sep 10, 2008.

1. Lastcard

Lastcard Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Not 700 but I did a 500 mile round trip back in June.
    Standard withABS and stock screen but with DP Touring seat.
    Could easily have done another 500!!!
    I love this bike[​IMG]
    Have Altrider front exhaust guard,rad and oil cooler guards and am looking at getting Touratech luggage this Autumn(sorry Fall!)
    12000+ miles. I didn't feel the need for the ohlins setup but I really like the power modes.
    Only bike in 4 years I've kept for longer than 14 months! I reckon on keeping it a lot longer too!
  2. jerdog53

jerdog53 Crop Dusting Everywhere

Oddometer:
  3. donutrider

donutrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The particular bike I'm looking at is non-abs .. Deal breaker? My ultra classic had abs and it about killed me a couple times.
  4. donutrider

Oddometer:
    Ive had the same issue with bike turnover. I'm looking forth bike that I want to ride.. 4 bikes in 5 years and I think the MTS might be th hit. I love th k16Gt I just returned but I think it ends up not being something I could be spontaneous with.

You guys are providing a nice perspective for me
  5. pmelby

pmelby Home Brew Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I don't think that the ABS or lack thereof is a deal breaker. I have had ABS on a few bikes and can't say that I've actually needed it very often. I do feel that I'm a little bit more aware of my braking habits on this bike because is doesn't have ABS. Maybe if I commuted and had to deal with slick streets on a routine basis I would be more biased toward ABS.

On riding around here in the Rapid City area and the surrounding Black Hills, I've noticed that the heavily traveled roads are pretty greasy, probably due to the lack of any significant rainfall in the last few months. In my normal riding, I don't have any of the problems with the roads being fouled the way they appear to be around here. The only thing that I can relate it to is commuting in the Seattle area during a dry period, then when it does rain, watch out for all the oil and crap washing out of the road surface, like riding on marbles.

cheers,
    melby
  6. TuonoBiker

TuonoBiker Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not to thread jack, but can you explain this? How did "ABS about kill you a couple times"?

I've never had a time on the road when I actually wanted to lock up a front or rear wheel. Or does this fall under the "...yep....'bout had to lay 'er down or Ida been killed" mentality...

not trying to be a prick, just curious...

:freaky
  7. Dave.0

Dave.0 on the spectrum

Oddometer:
    I think the MTS brakes are pretty amazing and almost never engage the ABS. I say "almost" because I hit a deer and although did some damage to the bike I didn't fall and I credit the ABS with allowing me to slow down and stay in control as I punted the deer. I know the "experts" don't think ABS is necessary, but for me, it exists for that reason - some totally unexpected problem on possibly questionable terrain or traction. I don't have ABS on my track bike or my dirt bike, but I think its a solid idea on a street bike. I think the deer strike is the only time I have really noticed it, and it more than paid for itself.
  8. donutrider

Oddometer:
    Your lack of perspective caused you to be curious hence no choice but to be a prick..:wink:
  9. donutrider

Oddometer:
    I can see all th advantages of DTS and ABS simply because the bike is so light. I would feel much better with ABS. DTS is standard on all MTS models right?
  10. Ramv

Ramv Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    All have DTC. I turned mine off, it rides much better with out it on rough roads (and you can't turn it off on the fly).

I suspect ABS would be similar, if you only ride smooth roads, it's probably helpful. Anywhere with washboard or similar it can be a pain as it defeats the brakes if you get chatter. (or at least that's how it's worked on other vehicles I have had it on, can't speak to the ABS on the Multi since I don't have it, but I assume it would be similar to the DTC). I believe it is defeatable on the Ducati, so I don't see having it as a downside, but for normal or bad road riding, I think it's a pro to not have it. Maybe in track situation it would be a big help or if you do end up in black ice situations.
  11. NMEXPAT

NMEXPAT Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've risen my standard non ABS MTS1200 from houston, TX to Albuquerque, NM in a single day. If I remember correctly this is about 850 miles. I could have ridden further no problem. Stock screen, gel pad seat cover, and slightly lower and wider foot pegs. I find the stock seat extremely comfortable, looks like a big tractor seat.

I'd do it again too!
  12. Tubulchain

Tubulchain ODAAT Supporter

Oddometer:
    Had four bikes in 3 years and gotta say the Multi is a keeper. I have motorcycle ADD and it is a high dose stimulant!

Funny I have been wishing for BMW 1600 but I don't tour so even I can't justify it. I like the feeling of a heavy smooth bike with lots of amenities! But... oh God the Multistrada. I love it. As abundant as the technology is on the Multi the ride is elemental, pure.
  13. donutrider

Oddometer:
    Couldn't have said it better, elemental and raw...

The K16 is sooo smooth that it can take away the connection of rider to bike.. Don't get me wrong, that smoothness is so valuable on long days in th saddle and in so many other riding situations but for everyday riding for "escaping" purposes the rawness is the dope .. Ducati has corned the market for sure and I will have one in my garage before year end. Either a Streetfighter and K16 or only MTS but there will be red in th garage.
  14. donutrider

Oddometer:
    Good news! That's a long windy haul on any bike.. I'm 9 hours from Red River which is my summer passage to relief from th Oklahoma heat.

Where did you get pegs ?
  15. Doug Piranha

Doug Piranha Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Not 700+ but I've done multiple 5-600 mile days back to back. I have the stock seat and the Ducati touring windscreen and am never feeling worn out or sore at the end of the day. I also tend to remove everything I don't find usefull from a bike and travel as light as possible.

[​IMG]
  16. Bullsnake

Bullsnake Adventurer

Oddometer:
    What options are people using for lowering the pegs and controls? The Ducati factory option seems a bit steep, but I will go that route if it is the only option. Other than possibly lowering the pegs a bit I am absolutely in love with my Multi. Just picked it up a few months ago, and now with 3K on the clock it just gets better and better every time I ride it!
  17. NMEXPAT

NMEXPAT Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I believe I bought the SW mototech pegs from twisted throttle. They're about $150 and have two or three positions, low, normal and high. They are wider and have a removable rubber piece. They're a great buy and didn't require any other parts, as the shifter and brake can be adjusted accordingly.

I recommend them. No need to Spend $$$ on the DP performance ones.
  18. Bullsnake

Bullsnake Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the heads up! Ordering now!
  19. Craneguy

Craneguy British Hooligan

Oddometer:
    OK, I'm officially in love. Anyone want to buy one of my kidneys? (I'll throw in a liver for free!)

[​IMG]

More Info...
  20. KodiakRS

KodiakRS Adventurer

Oddometer:
    How are you tall people dealing with the wind screen buffet issues? I've tried just about everything with no success.