Vstrom 650 pics w/ bags (only please)

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by JJMSP, May 10, 2006.

1. MiteyF

MiteyF Long timer

Oddometer:
    No recent pictures... '62, dropped 2 splines in the rear (185/60's), 2 1/2" drop spindles, disc brakes, 4" narrowed and adjustable beam in the front (145/65's), 1835 (built on an AS41 case, drilled/tapped for full flow) with a Weber 32/36 Progressive, old school dual port Eepco big valve heads, 009 (I know, I know) dizzy, 110 cam, "race" clutch, 1700lb pressure plate, merged 1 5/8" header with custom (made by me) single side-dump glasspack exhaust, 12v alternator, external oil filter... etc etc.

Paint is a PPG single stage acrylic urethane, Anthracite Pearl, painted (poorly) by yours truly, in the back yard (literally) and original Ruby Red inside.

Plus LOTS more :D

Pictures are old, before I finished painting my hood

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. GtiKyle

GtiKyle Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Crazy, another '62 owner/Vstrom rider in WA. :clap We'll have to chat/meetup sometime.
  3. MiteyF

MiteyF Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hell yes. Where are you in WA? I'm in Bellingham.
  4. GtiKyle

GtiKyle Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Tacoma area. Currently doing a full resto-mod.

[​IMG]

Back on topic, I got my boxes last night. Pelican/storm im2600's. My Givi racks come tonight. Just need some additional hardware, and they'll be mounted. Here's one box packed with sleeping bags, pillows and pads for both my wife and I. There's still more room, so this is looking good :clap
    [​IMG]
  5. w9fcc

w9fcc Life is good!

Oddometer:
    TRK46N on left side, TRK33Ns on top and right side.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  6. I922sParkCir

I922sParkCir 2000 R1150GS

Oddometer:
    Great looking setup. What racks are you using, and would you mind feeling us the width?
  7. w9fcc

w9fcc Life is good!

Oddometer:
    43 1/2 inches width, 22 on the left side, 21 1/2 on the right,
    almost symmetrical. I used the Givi SRA3101 top case mount
    (aluminum) and PL3101 side case mounts. Also have the
    Givi Skid plate (nice metal one) and Givi engine guards.
    Good quality stuff. It all just fits perfectly, quick and easy
    installation.
  8. villageidiot

villageidiot Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    43 1/2 inches wide?!?!?!?!?

It's like a damn Winnebago.

I'm at a loss for luggage on my new strom because the narrowest I can figure is about 36-37 inches. And that's hardly capable of lane splitting. Dang. How many liters of space do you rekon ya have?
  9. nordwulf

nordwulf Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I had the Givi E45 and E36 on my DL650 and width was 43 inches, completely symmetrical on each side. Together with a E45 top box, there is a lot space. The E36 is fairly small so I can't imagine even going smaller than that. The width wasn't really an issue but I can't imagine lane splitting with these is a good idea.

More pictures and information on my blog: https://nordwulf.wordpress.com/2009/08/15/givi-e36-e45-cases-and-racks-for-suzuki-v-strom/

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    BlueRidgeKat likes this.
  10. w9fcc

w9fcc Life is good!

Oddometer:

It comes out to be about 112 liters of storage! That ought to be enough!
    The Suzuki Adventure luggage makes it about 45 inches wide. No lane
    splitting with that! I like the Givi cases better. The cases are interchangeable so I can use both smaller cases as side cases making it a little narrower. For going-to-work use I'd probably leave the side cases off and just put the 46 liter case as a top case, but for long distance traveling, 112 liters is nice.
    :norton
  11. Riteris

Riteris Dessert Runner

Oddometer:
    A place many ADV Riders fear: The Nation's Capital
  12. villageidiot

villageidiot Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    for sure a nice looking setup, just too wide for me. and 112 liters of space is a TON!!!

on my last bike, i was happy/had too much room with a seahorse 720 on each side and a 25 liter dry bag on the seat, totaled about 75 liters or so, and i had room for grocery shopping while on the road. Now, i do only ride solo, and not 2 up on trips (she says its not fun) and i know for a fact i wouldnt have enough room for 2 people's gear. but the bike was only 31" wide.

im going to make my own luggage racks (have on my last 3 bikes) and probably use seahorse cases again, might step up to the storm im2600, though at that price i can make a set of alloy panniers to my own spec.
  13. jokermtb

jokermtb Blues Ripper

Oddometer:
    Side bags and top case are very important - I have calculated that I can haul 88 beers + 1 wine bottle on my Vstrom.....
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
  14. whatsgnu

whatsgnu Scheissekopf

Oddometer:
    I think you're looking at this the right way !!
  15. GtiKyle

GtiKyle Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  16. Domromer

Domromer Desert Rat

Oddometer:
  17. eddie98

eddie98 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Here is my 09 Strom

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  18. soldierguy

soldierguy Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Still have more to do to it, but here's mine with the bags. Hepco & Becker bags & mounts. Bags are excellent quality. Mounts were a pain to get on...relocating the turn signals is a must, since one of the quick releases occupies the space formerly used by turn signals. Basically taking apart the entire tail is necessary to get the turn signal wires run correctly.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  19. soldierguy

soldierguy Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    By the way, it's a 30 liter right, 40 liter left. The left one will hold my XL full-faced Arai helmet quite easily. I like them...the latches and locks are easy to operate, not fiddly, the bags can be left locked or unlocked (but still latched closed), and overall the bags seem to be stronger and of higher quality than Trax bags I had on a previous bike. Worth the little bit of extra money over the Trax or suzuki Adventure bags in my opinion.
  20. rystjohn

rystjohn KLR slut

Oddometer:
    This thread helped me decide on my final setup, so I wanted to post my setup to hopefully help others. I installed a Givi rack (PL532) with 1550 pelican cases, mounted via Twisted Throttle's quick release system on the side and I just directly bolted the top case to the stock rack via M8 bolts and washers. I haven't been able to test it due to injuring my hand at work and being unable to ride, but will give an update later. Seems solid, though. [​IMG][​IMG]