Let's play ... Name that part!

Discussion in 'Airheads' started by Beater, Mar 13, 2015.

1. danedg

danedg Horizontally Opposed

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
  2. Beater

Beater The Bavarian Butcher

Oddometer:
    BMW? Just a guess.

(Damn that's sexy :raabia )
  3. Disston

Disston ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer:
    It is amazing when looking at these old Airheads how many different variations were tried.
  4. Jim Day

Jim Day full manic mechanic

Oddometer:
    That R66 is pretty gorgeous. I really like the air cleaner and starter setup on that bike. It actually looks like a modern custom build in some ways. Great looking clean no nonsense bike. I'd love to own one. :wink:
  5. Pokie

Pokie Love, build, ride. Supporter

Oddometer:
    German parts but not necessarily BMW, there were a lot of German and Austrian made bikes, some with really weird parts. I love that additional handlebar control, now that's some cool looking engineering!
  6. CafeDude

CafeDude Ride to eat.....

Oddometer:
    Is that really a starter? I thought the first BMW with an electric starter was the /5.
  7. Disston

Disston ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer:
    Good point. I bet it's a generator. Something I would consider switching to if it were possible. I remember cars with generators. The electric system then was much simpler. But I doubt there is such a thing even made.

It's an assumption of people it seems. The only answer is the best answer and so the alternator is the only thing produced. It is better.

This principle carries over into everything engineered for us. Nuclear Power is only high pressure massive power. how come nobody makes low pressure farm size nuclear power plants? :freaky You could burn nuclear waste from the big plants?

Where's Plaka when you need him?
  8. Jim K in PA

Jim K in PA Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:

Hey Charlie - I'll bite . . . :D

The reason the DC generator died and the AC generator (alternator) took it's place in nature is that you can get FAR more energy and power from a 3ph alternator that is half the size and weight of a DC generator, with less load on the engine. I have a DC generator (12V) in my '57 Pontiac. It is the size of a Harrison A/C compressor. It can barely keep up with the simple electrical load of the ignition and lights. At idle, if you turn on the (tube amp) radio, the lights dim. It has a vacuum windshield wiper motor because it removes that load from the generator. The simplicity of the electrical system in older cars and bikes had nothing to do with generator vs alternator, and everything to do with customer expectations. Today's complex electrical systems, likewise, do not owe their complexity to the alternator. Whether the generator is something you would really want depends on what your expectations and needs are.

I don't know were Plaka is, but I think you might be interested in the Toshiba 4S micro-nuke unit. Hopefully nobody is "burning" nuclear waste from anything! :eek1
  9. Disston

Disston ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer:
    Yes. Once again my fantasy is too far distanced from reality.

But the part I remember about generators was that when one stopped working all it took was the installation of new brushes that cost about $0.25.

I also remember headlights dimming when coming to a stop on my 1954 Ford.

Plaka only shows up once in a while.
  10. CafeDude

CafeDude Ride to eat.....

Oddometer:
    I love the quaintness of the early electrical systems. My weekend hauler/parts chaser has a generator that can barely keep up with the lights and the wipers on. But I think it's kinda cool......[​IMG]
  11. Jim Day

Oddometer:
    There you go :freaky

I'll pass on the generator but I do like the idea of simpler priming and float bowls.

[​IMG]
  12. Jim Day

Oddometer:

I was close, but wrong, but on the right track. Those parts are from a Adler MB250.

You've got the left handlebar, the center piece to the three part bar that mounts like I thought it did at the top of the head tube under the tensioner. A bing carb, and also the fancy carb cover.

[​IMG]
  13. Jim Day

Oddometer:
    The Carb is a Bing 1/22/74 (nice)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Talk about a beautiful and elegant design. I especially like the vertical needle float bowl arrangement with the push rod for priming. That pushrod is under spring tension and it's extra long on this carb because it's made to match the priming button that sits above the MB250's carburetor cover. So though BMW used an almost identical carb on the R66 this version was made by Bing specifically for these bikes. Amazingly these vintage Bing carbs are all over German ebay many in like new condition. :freaky
  14. Beater

Oddometer:
    I'm guessing a /2 part?
    [​IMG]
  15. blaine.hale

blaine.hale Long timer

Oddometer:
    The rubbers? I have those on my /5 and /6 throttle cables down on the carb side.
    Come to think of it, I need another set :evil
  16. Beater

Oddometer:
    Come get the bag!
  17. blaine.hale

blaine.hale Long timer

Oddometer:
    Put it on my tab :D

Still need to grab a set of new throttle cables and piece together a /5 motor shell and settle up with ya.
  18. Beater

Oddometer:
    Please do. My wife is starting to want to see 'progress' ... IE, a diminished parts pile. :rofl
  19. Disston

Disston ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer:
    I could use some more stuff.

Got any /5 LWB or /6 seats? How about seat parts?

I could use a pair of /6 USA bar throttle cables (those would be the longer ones).
  20. Beater

Oddometer:
    What are these from?

[​IMG]