ADV Photographers - Which camera type? Premium P&S or Mirrorless?

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Herbivore63, May 1, 2013.

1. Lost Roadie

Lost Roadie High-Tech Meets Low Class Supporter

Oddometer:
    Lake Isabella, CA USA / Mai Chau, Vietnam

:lol3

I was always intrigued by the Simga cameras, the IQ looks great. The new Ricoh GR also has very impressive IQ, neither are quite as small as I want though personally, I already had equal IQ and camera size in the X1.

It's a great time with all the new tech to be a photographer, there's something for everyone. :clap
  2. sjc56

sjc56 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I shoot with a DSLR (D300,200) and my Panasonic DMC-ZS10 PS which continues to amaze me, I have done 3 foot wide prints with it under the right conditions (and using Perfect Resize). What I don't like about small cameras is not being able to really control depth of field like I can with the Nikons and i hate composing looking at a screen. But I always have the PS with me. Also are you shooting for prints or will your photos never leave computer?
  3. Herbivore63

Herbivore63 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Since starting this thread, I've continued to go back and forth between different options. There's been lots of good discussion. On paper, the RX100 has everything that I want. Everything except maybe a viewfinder. But I've found myself reluctant to go that direction for some reason.

In looking at the MILC's, I think I've figured out my reluctance. Every digital camera I've used, except for my DSLR's, I've disliked. P&S cameras generally don't feel like a camera should in my hands. Taking pictures with them seems like just an analytical exercise in pushing buttons on a plastic box. Some of the MILC's seem the same way, but others feel a bit more like a camera. The Olympus E-P3 and the Panasonic GX1 look like a camera and to a small extent feel like a camera. Their form factor isn't ideal, but with a pancake prime lens or two, they aren't that much bigger than a P&S. They would at least fit in a jacket pocket and only take up part of my tank bag.

I know this is straying from my original question and has little to do with image quality or results. But it's a bit of an epiphany for me. Part of what I enjoy about photography is playing around with a camera and taking pictures, not just the end result. Some cameras add to the enjoyment and some take away from it. I think part of my search will be about finding not just the camera that gives the best results, but one that can also provide some of that tactile enjoyment while still being reasonably compact and efficient to use.

Am I the only one that this is an issue for? Lost Rider--while you've obviously achieved great results with the RX100, do you enjoy taking pictures with it? Thanks for your input and discussion everyone...very helpful! :clap

Evan
  4. Stratlanta

Stratlanta Flabby Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I feel exactly the same way and you raise a great point. That's why I enjoy the 6D more than the RX100 even though the RX takes great images. Like you, I realized that I like the operation and feel of the 6D, which makes it more enjoyable for me. Definitely something to consider.
  5. BobPS

BobPS Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    To me it feels like a camera. I shoot manual with it. That's how I've been using it.

I set the shutter speed, aperture and ISO myself, I can also move the focus point, and it even lets you do manual focus if you want to, just like an SLR or DSLR. The built-in flash can be used in auto, fill mode slow sync and rear sync.. and it can be bounced to have soft lighting.

So it still allow you to be creative, just like shooting with an SLR. The only difference is the rX100 doesn't have a viewfinder, and it's small.

I never used pocket camera until I bought Canon s90 about 3 years ago. I bought it cause it has Manual mode. That's important to me, cause even when I shoot with my DSLR, I always set it to Manual ... and I also prefer manual lens, my favorite lens is ZE35 distagon. The reason I picked rx100, when I lost my S90, was because it allows me to shoot in Manual mode.
  6. SpeedyK

SpeedyK Lone Rider

Oddometer:
    I mostly still use a Panasonic G1. Don't know if newer models have the same little touches, but there is some evidence that photogs were involved in its development. If I have it set on P and take a shot it does like any P&S. With the same settings, if I half-press the shutter and manually focus a bit back and forth, it uses a longer shutter speed and thus deeper DOF. At first I thought it was a glitch, was too perfectly-suited.
  7. jc9995

jc9995 Commuting BEAST :)

Oddometer:
    Had the canon g12... Nice camera but you definitely can tell it has a tiny sensor. Noise was a lot higher than I was expecting.
    Sold that on Craigslist and got the new Sony nex 5... Holy bajesus that thing has an amazing sensor! Far far far superior to the jcanon G series.... Of course it's not as transportable .... But with the 16mm prime it is damn close..... And your right about the cropping ability.
    As for the LCD....that's why I am kicking myself for not getting the nex6 due to the built in viewfinder....AND flash. And it has the new 16-50mm power zoom pancake lens, that retracts when powered off. So you essentially get a decent kit lens with zoom, with the pocket ability of a tiny prime.
    I can't say enough about the Sony nex series....amazing.

Not nearly as good as yours... But gives a an idea.

https://jc9995.smugmug.com/Other/Random-Crud/29025350_qWrSFp#!i=2468975625&k=QbBvgfk
  8. Dark Helmet

Dark Helmet Go to ludicrous speed!

Oddometer:
    Surprised this hasn't been mentioned yet, but I think the Olympus OMD EM5 is a great ADV camera. Pricey for sure, but I spent a lot of time looking for a really good travel camera, one where I had the fewest compromises. My priorites were:
    - Interchangeable lenses
    - Small (OMD is very small compared to a DSLR especially with a prime lens)
    - Variety of lenses
    - Rugged. OMD and the kit lens is water and dust sealed (resistant, but not water proof)
    - Excellent clarity and color representation.
    - Electronic viewfinder as well as LCD panel. I think this helps you compose better
    - A camera to last. I wanted a camera that had enough features and capabilities that it wouldn't be outdated any time soon

The OMD has all those and much more. Best surprise was the anti-vibration that is a cut above all others from what I have read. Its based in the body, not the lenses and is 5-axis. Here is a shot from late dusk I took hand-held:
    [​IMG]

I just took my first trip with the camera on the bike. I was fortunate to have a business trip to Sydney Australia and afterwards I rented a bike for 5 days and traveled in the New South Wales area. Here is a link to the pictures: https://mototrout.smugmug.com/Travel/Motorcycle-trips/Oz-final/29341127_kQFcsR

Here is a review of the OM5: http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/olympusem5/

I love the camera. This camera won't hold me back, unfortunately, I have a lot of work to do to become the photographer that this camera needs!
  9. Stratlanta

Stratlanta Flabby Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The Oly OMD is a great camera for sure. I'd love to try one.
  10. Urban Toreador

Urban Toreador Banned

Oddometer:
    The Olympus is a technological tour de force. IMO it's the finest MFT camera on the market and the M.Zuiko and Leica lenses available deliver pro results. The OM-D is going to be updated within the next few months so there should be some good deals soon or you could get the upgraded new model.

It's much smaller than it looks. Olympus knocked this one out of the park.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  11. Albie

Albie Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer:

I'm still on the fence about pulling the trigger on the NEX 6. At the end of the day, it doesn't have any better IQ then my NEX 3 but it does have a lot of features the 3 doesn't that will help me take better pics, and believe me, I need all the help I can get. :lol3

Of course all the accessories I got for the 3 will work on the 6 which is cool. I've got the adapter so I can shoot with my old FD lenses, kinda nice being able to resurrect them.
  12. LoneStar

LoneStar WhoopDeDoofus Supporter

Oddometer:
    Little late but my 2 cents...

I grew up as an advertising photog but for adv riding I've found the Panasonic LX series to be great, and also love the NEX 5/6/7 cameras. Currently carry the LX7 for my wide shots and Nex 5N w 55-210 to reach out and touch things.

I was never a Sony fan but in the continual search for nirvana tried the 5n. Has turned out to be an outstanding travel camera. Great battery life and shooting with the telephoto in low light I've been able to catch images I never would have previously - their ISO/Stabilization works very well even with such a slow lens. Anxiously awaiting smaller lenses and I think as the NEX series evolves it will be a great system. It looks weird but the ergos are great - and the left shifted lens really takes the tweak off your wrist compared to a centered body. I also have the Lumix GF series bodies, but tend to grab the Nex most of the time.

Recent trip report to Real De Catorce here with samples from both cameras. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=881053 . The "Texas to Uruapan" ride report has a good amount of images with an LX3 and it was the first use of the Nex 5N.

After riding for several years now, I find that the tank bag is the best place for both cameras, and that I like having a smaller camera like the LX series as it can be with me all the time, especially when I don't feel like carrying even a smaller mirrorless. Until a truly small body and lenses come along, I'll have to stick with a pocket style and small mirrorless.

I also have bought a couple of cheap adapters to allow the use of older Contax and Nikkor lenses I still have, and the "Focus Peaking" on the Nex does a great job of helping focus with manual lenses. The video quality is very good as well, as I've found out recently when beginning to shoot some serious video.
  13. Dark Helmet

Oddometer:
    Nice RR Lonestar! Great photos. Really like how the camera handled all the great colors and the lighting. Nice work!
  14. icebox

icebox Long timer

Oddometer:
    Use a G11 often, great camera, rugged and VERY verstile, best small all round camera I own, and if all I wanted to do was document a trip, it might be all I took.. would certainly carry one as a backup. As to the NEX, bought a 5 and use the 16mm 2,8 as the primary. Wide angle usually is what I enjoy. Great quality, not up to FX, blown away by the ISO of my new D600. But for a small camera that will really give you an image that you can use for very good enlargements it is very good.

a JPEG from the 16mm, late fall in the Gravelly Range and Laurie with her F650 twin.

[​IMG]

an in camera HDR, taken into the blazing late afternoon sun up the Sunlight Basin Rd. in Wyoming, hand held. This image was almost black as metered.

[​IMG]
  15. LoneStar

LoneStar WhoopDeDoofus Supporter

Oddometer:
    Threadjack on:
    Icebox - beautiful valley! What part of Wyoming is that in? I need to ride through it on my next trip up :lol3
    Threadjack off:

It's great how many excellent small cameras exist now and it's fun being in the early stages of the new technologies - looking forward to the advances each generation will bring.
  16. icebox

icebox Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sunlight basin is just off the Chief Joseph Highway, at the bottom of Dead Indian Summit, West side. Easy to find.
  17. stefan tilden

stefan tilden Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]I'm going to rock the Canon 60D with a Zeiss Pancake 45mm. So no it won't fit in the pocket but it will reside in the top of the top box, nestled amongst some soft things and rolled in an airplane blanket. The pancake is the key to making is smaller and more manageable. I will also be packing a Canon 24-85 USM and a nifty 50mm Canon 1.8, so there you go.

I have not yet purchased a GoPro but hopefully soon.

Best of luck in whatever you go with!
  18. pne

pne Long timer

Oddometer:
    any issues with vibrations from the bike messing with the dslr? I'm worried all that bouncing around is going to mess up my nice camera.
  19. Dark Helmet

Oddometer:
    I started having some problems with a Canon DSLR a couple years ago when it was in my tankbag. With my EM5 I started to put some padding in from an old camera bag into the tank bag, but lost a lot of room.

While in Australia on a rental bike I started using a small Domke waxed cotton bag I had bought before I left. I wanted something small for the Oly and something inconspicuous. This was perfect, except that I kept in the panniers and it was a pain to take it out every time I wanted to take pictures so I just started wearing it like a messenger bag and it was perfect. It has rubber coated strips on the inside of the strap so it doesn't slide around, and whenever I left the bike it went with me, no muss, no fuss. I have since started doing this anytime I am carrying the camera here unless I am on some serious fireroads or double track.
    [​IMG]

Here is the inside. Enough for the 12-50mm lens (on the camera) and another lens (though not a lot of space). Three outside pockets and a small pocket inside the flap for extra SD cards etc.
    [​IMG]
  20. Rinty

Rinty Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well, Lost Rider's pictures wouldn't leave my sub-conscience, so I went out and picked up a Sony RX100 this morning.

You guys are a bad influence. :lol3

Truth be told, my wife was desperate on what to get me for my birthday, so she's delighted.

The other good news is that there's a LowePro bag that fits it perfectly.

So I've put it away for the big day, and it'll go with us to the Oregon high desert in a few weeks.