How do you keep the Ram X-Grip from wobbling?

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by zeeede, Jun 2, 2014.

1. zeeede

zeeede Long timer

Oddometer:
    When I have my phone in a Ram X-Grip mount, it has a little bit of free play (maybe 10 degrees each way?). I use the phone for navigation, and it's kind of annoying always looking at it tilted slightly one way or another. Is there any way to lock it in place and prevent that wobble?
  2. tbarstow

tbarstow Two-wheelin' Fool Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I noticed that it wobbles one way more than the other. Position it so that the wobble is already maxed out.
    flyaway likes this.
  3. worwig

worwig Long timer

Oddometer:
    I fixed mine.
    I put it in the car. Damn thing was annoying.

I only use a RAM Universal Finger Grip mount on the motorcycle. It also protects the back side of the phone/camera lens better.
  4. bwringer

bwringer Gimpy, Yet Alacritous

Oddometer:
  5. zeeede

zeeede Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sucks. I went with the X-grip because of the way everyone raved about them here on ADV. I ended up buying 3... one for each motorcycle and one for the bicycle.

I hope someone can recommend a fix before I end up having to spend another $50 on phone holders.
  6. danisOTR

danisOTR Living Life on the Road

Oddometer:
    Funny I just mounted mine last night and discovered the wobble issue also. I used a strong rubber band and wrapped it around the ram handle and the ram mount handle on the opposite side. I tested it this morning for the first time and it worked fine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  7. Kickstand Down

Kickstand Down Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've never used the X grip, but I can attest to the finger grip being rock solid. As someone else said, it also takes the bugs instead of the phone.
  8. seatec

seatec Dutch Transplant

Oddometer:
    Buy an Otterbox Defender. It has a great case but more importantly , it has a solid belt clip. I took the belt clip and drilled the clip part and bolted on a ram mount. Solid as a rock!
  9. zeeede

zeeede Long timer

Oddometer:
    I keep my phone in a case similar to the Otterbox Defender all the time. I don't want a ram ball on the back because that would make it very difficult to pocket carry.

I liked the idea of the X-grip, but in practice, I don't like the wobble and I don't like the fact that I can't mount/unmount the phone one-handed.

How is the finger grip for one-handed mount/unmount?
  10. zeeede

zeeede Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'll try this on my ride home today. Thanks!
  11. worwig

worwig Long timer

Oddometer:
    You can definitely unmount it from the finger grip single handed. I suspect you could also mount it single handed. But I usually flex the fingers apart a bit with one hand and slip in the phone with the other hand. I can tell it is secured that way.
  12. Kickstand Down

Kickstand Down Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It may depend on your phone and how tight the various finger lengths you choose are. I use the mediums on a Galaxy s3, and I one hand on and off. Put one side in and push the second past the fingers.

I did find that the rubber gripper things they include are useless and make it very difficult to get a phone in the thing. Luckily they are optional. Side note, if the fingers line up with the volume buttons on the phone, put that side down first or you'll blast or mute your music when it pushes past the fingers lol.
  13. WoodButcher

WoodButcher Long timer

Oddometer:
  14. LouDiamond

LouDiamond Adventurer

Oddometer:
    that's odd, i've used mine for a year now and have never really gotten any wobble. i wonder if it's a matter of where i mounted it (on my bars w/in like 5" from the center vs further out on the bar, closer to the clutch...)
  15. worwig

worwig Long timer

Oddometer:
    You may have a small phone. The larger the phone, the looser it is.
  16. zeeede

zeeede Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ah... and I have a largish phone (Droid Razr Maxx) in a huge case.
  17. morgantm

morgantm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ditto. I have 4000 miles on mine and while you can move it around some as long as you position it at the max of the move its never a issue.
  18. seatec

seatec Dutch Transplant

Oddometer:
    Pocket carry? I just unclip the defender case from the belt clip that's mounted to the bike and slide the phone into my pocket
  19. threadkiller

threadkiller Long timer

Oddometer:
    Can you post a picture of the ram mount?