Roadtrip Finland-Latvia-Finland KLR650C

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by Inline, Jul 13, 2014.

1. Inline

Inline Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Good evening all from Finland!

FIrst post on this subtopic, but def not last.
    Ill try to post pics more than write, since pics > thousand words.

First things first, my bike is 2000 KLR650C ( European / Canadian? model)

Sooo.. My parents were on vacation on Hungary and Croatia, and it started to end.
    So my dad called me would i like to drive towards them. What an great idea.. And there we go. From curiosity i checked if theres any spots open on motorcycle for ship Helsinki-Tallinn-Helsinki, under week before trip would begin. And heck, theres was, and there we go....

[​IMG]

Friday Morning 05.00. Yeah... On my way to work. I had ship booked at 16.30, and should be at harbour on 15.30 at last. Managed easily. Its not easy to say since our work ends every day on different time.

[​IMG]

Had boring 2 hours on ship to Tallinn. It was crowded with drunken Finnish alcohol-tourists.. On Tallinn, thanks to some road work, i managed to wander over hour on Tallinn suburb due to interesting road signs..
    At last found correct route to Pärnu, and drove it pretty fast.. :evil
    But thanks to my wandering, restaurants kitchen was closed for the day, and i hadnt eaten on day nothing else than a snack to keep hunger away. Was counting on eatin on that restaurant.. Well, i bought this set twice.. :D

[​IMG]

My camping site

[​IMG]

To the Saturday. Well, i was def tired on saturday Morning. It was f*ckin cold at night, and i only had UK. army blanket. o was freesing out, damn weather forecasts.. When i was eating breakfast, was wonderin do i drive further or not. Choosed to drive.

Met my parents north from Riga at last, on Saulkrast Statoil.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

From there we did drive back where i had my tent up.
    Took some pictures on my way back. At sea..

[​IMG]

And old Estonia-Latvia border station. Soviet era.

[​IMG]
    Nowadays you can just drive through.

Rest of the day.. I drinked beer :deal

Then we come to Sunday.

I drove around Pärnu ( town on Estonia).
    Following; everything fancy from beton concrete.. :D:D Soviet-era :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is just a shy look to Pärnu. Full of these. But, about my joking of Soviet-era, i do not mean to offend former countries of it, nor former Soviet itself. Its a country like USA, both have their flaws and pros, none aint better, just so different from each other.

At about 12.00, we started to slowly drive to Tallinn. Our ship would leave on 19.30, so had plenty of time. We went to eat, to shop etc.
    At ship at last.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Was long 2.5 hours this time. When it did come to harbour,
    i did some lane splitting etc and drove to home freakin fast.
    Well, not freakin to be exact. At 130km/h my bike starts to wobble,
    and i believe its due to that spade-sized super-saggy front fender. Need to test without it later.

After all, was nice trip. Really nice. Only turndowns on bike were fuel-range ( KLR650C fuel-tank = 14 lites, which means at after 200km you have to start look for fuel station. Gah, IMS is on the way) and that wobble.
    But the bike. Freakin awesome. Does "long" trips at highway well, is reliable, and after all that haulin i was driving some off-road on Estonia, and then drove back to Finland on highways, fast. Do that with your fancy bikes. Btw, i saw also DR650 two up on travel :eek1 Was funny sight, since that bike is sized for kiddies even with only driver on it.

Anyways. Two weeks work, and i do have 9-day summer vacation.
    Ill be making 9-day road trip then. First i was thking about Norway,
    but on my trip, ive been concerned i would be driving somewhere on Croatia. But, as i sayed, two weeks, and plans are still open. Cant wait it!
  2. k-ris

k-ris Lurks more, posts less. Raisk! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the pictures, man! I grew up in (and around) Tallinn. Ahh the memories... I hope to ride my US version of the mighy KLR there someday. It is not a very popular bike around there for some reason. They don't know what they're missing out on!